Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVTV on Tesla 8/23/13

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few of his nits and comments I disagree with, but overall good coverage.

Some examples are the request for an outside knob to pop the charge port and the (known wrong) assumption that the supercharger cord is the same as the HPWC cord.

Jack Rikard is a colorful character, that's for sure. He's also a member on this forum, so maybe he'll chime in on the thread as well (BTW Jack, I'm 360# and I get in my Model S ok).

I mostly agree with him on the DC fast charging, however, most of the manufacturers have a "NIH" problem (Not Invented Here), GM so much so they have been big proponents of the SAE J-1772 DC fast charge standard... The only way they'll "kiss the ring" is if they also license Teslas drive train and battery pack technology, and I just can't see them doing it. They are Captains of their ship, they are going down with the craft (the "ship" being the ICE industry). Buggy manufacturers didn't start making ICE cars, in the same way, GM will never make a compelling EV and cannobolize their ICE business.

I don't know if the charge port door needs a knob, but a little lip or someway to pop it open if the auto open feature fails would be nice. Would suck to be stranded at a charger with a closed charged port door and an otherwise fully functional vehicle. Kind of like it sucks when the car is disabled by a 12V battery....

In case Jack never gets to Normal.
supercharger-screen-grab.jpg

"These guys just don't get it. Elon is here to change the world. He is not here to play by your rules."

He understands that Elon is going to prove that EV's are the future and that Tesla is going to make it happen. Well said, Jack.

His commentary on this starts at around 40:00.

Last edited:
Jack Rikard is a colorful character, that's for sure. He's also a member on this forum, so maybe he'll chime in on the thread as well (BTW Jack, I'm 360# and I get in my Model S ok).

I mostly agree with him on the DC fast charging, however, most of the manufacturers have a "NIH" problem (Not Invented Here), GM so much so they have been big proponents of the SAE J-1772 DC fast charge standard... The only way they'll "kiss the ring" is if they also license Teslas drive train and battery pack technology, and I just can't see them doing it. They are Captains of their ship, they are going down with the craft (the "ship" being the ICE industry). Buggy manufacturers didn't start making ICE cars, in the same way, GM will never make a compelling EV and cannobolize their ICE business.

Well, GM has a new CEO and he's not very much in the Not Invented Here camp. In fact, he's slashed the R&D budget after noting that of the many celebrated patents in their portfolio, precious few have made it into a car in recent years. He's also set up a team to "study" Tesla.

There are a significant number of Volt owners who think they do drive an electric car, and they rather like it. I think GM is at this point motivated to be a player in the EV space, and vaguely uncomfortable with their position in it.

The surreal SAE J1772 Rev B combo connector makes no sense at all. It has a goofy communications protocol, it's heroically ugly, and it doesn't provide enough power to fast charge a little red RADIO wagon. Comparing it to the Tesla fast charge plug (which is actually the same connector and of course connects to the same port on the car) is a non-starter. Tesla is building out a national Supercharge infrastructure, albeit at a poor pace.

I'm struggling to picture how I could present an electric car to the public that cannot charge at the Tesla supercharge stations, with very nearly zero of the SAE J1772 fast charge stations in place. As more Tesla stations come onboard, GM either has to do something to build their own national network, or kiss the ring. Elon has publicly stated he WOULD license the technology, but began waffling even at the moment. But I think he would probably allow it for a hefty royalty plus a big contribution toward the buildout. As GM just slashed R&D from EIGHT billion to SIX billion, I think they can write the check. But I think the biggest chrysalis in the supersaturated solution is that the outsider CEO at GM might simply do it to force the point internally within GM that he's running the show now and it is NOT going to be business as usual.

In any event, with every passing day, and each Model S sale, and each Supercharger site opening, the pressure will build. And the case for an electric car with a different Fast Charge spec with NO network becomes more untenable. About 120 such days and I think the pressure is going to be pregnant.

IF GM made such a move, where would this leave Nissan with a hard committment and really a lot of cars out there with CHADEMO ports on them? Had they actually deployed their fast charge network, it would be game on. And yes, I'm aware they've installed a few - those dealerships within 1000 feet of the Smyrna plant in Tennessee for example, but despite announcing it over and over, they've never gotten any of it done. And the truth is, neither GM nor Nissan have the control over their dealerships you imagine. Tesla doesn't have to worry about that.

So pretty dramatic. It's like automobile companies financing the development of gasoline filling stations 100 years ago. An out there concept. But about to become reality I think. The batteries always would fast charge. The cars always would. True fast charge pretty much knocks out the main remaining reluctance - cross country driving. Tesla is already mapping it out. How does this play out?

I watched dozens of these scenarios play out as the Internet developed. You can vote yourself blind. You can decree standards till hell freezes over. As soon as someone comes out with a better one that sells, nobody can even remember the name of your standard. You play, or you lose market share. At this point, a fast charge standard without Tesla participation is a non-starter. It is simply NOT going to happen.

The wife loves the Model S and has pretty much taken it away from me. But I do ride along and she lets me drive it. I have kind of worked out getting in and getting out. You have to go head first backwards which is not how I'm used ot entering a car but I can adjust. We drove 101 miles to a lakehouse on Kentucky Lake last weekend and back the same day on one charge and it was kind of a kick. Had about 55 miles left on the meter when we got home. The car is a winner no two ways about it.

Maybe a Model X.........

Jack Rickard
EVTV Motor Verks | Electric Car Conversion Videos

Jack what say you about OTA updates? Even in your video you comment on the charge settings screen being a slider and not three settings. That was an upgrade. Your car came after that change but the rest of the owners got it as an over the air free upgrade.

The next one you might ask Tesla for is an egress seat/steering wheel setting that when you open the door moves everything to make getting in/out easier.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Jack, did you see the short-fat Supercharger cable images posted above?

The next one you might ask Tesla for is an egress seat/steering wheel setting that when you open the door moves everything to make getting in/out easier

I have that, I made an "exit" profile, moves the seats all the way back, and the steering wheel all the way in, and up. All Tesla would need to do is if there is an "exit" profile, active it when they detect the car is in park and you open the drivers door.. I manually execute it now.

Last edited:
Any chance of a how-to video once winter is upon us? I live in a similarly frozen climate (though, probably with less freezing rain) and would appreciate knowing how to do this.

I'll try and get you a video... but it's really simple. Whack it with the ball of your fist right on the pivot point. Might take a couple of tries to hit it right, but when you do it'll pop right open.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, here you go...

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched dozens of these scenarios play out as the Internet developed. You can vote yourself blind. You can decree standards till hell freezes over. As soon as someone comes out with a better one that sells, nobody can even remember the name of your standard. You play, or you lose market share. At this point, a fast charge standard without Tesla participation is a non-starter. It is simply NOT going to happen.

Jack, I hope you won't mind if I quote this a few times.