Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive range loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2 year old S60 with 30K miles, I commute ~100 miles a day and level 2 charge the car 90% of the time (supercharge 10%).
Today i supercharged for a longer trip and set the charge to trip and it said charge complete at 195 miles range (started at 30 miles left).
Based on reading posts here and on the web there is a 3-5% loss over the first 50K miles. My car has a 7% loss after only 30k miles. This seems excessive, should I be worried?

Expect it to get worse. My 2 year old 75 with 60k miles (which started its life as a software locked 60 like yours) is now up to 8.5% range loss (249 rated, 228 observed at 100%).

It has slowed down a bit recently, only losing a mile over the last 10k.

Based on your profile pic you might have an older, actual 60kwh battery, not a software locked 75?

Not that it matters, several reports of the original 60s with pretty severe degradation too.
Sorry its a sept 2016 build one of the first with the AP2 hardware (they called me and told me id be getting the AP2 HW in the middle of the build) Profile pic is of the wheels (Axis Allies) I have yet to put onto the car!!

I have a 2 year old S60 with 30K miles, I commute ~100 miles a day and level 2 charge the car 90% of the time (supercharge 10%).
Today i supercharged for a longer trip and set the charge to trip and it said charge complete at 195 miles range (started at 30 miles left).
Based on reading posts here and on the web there is a 3-5% loss over the first 50K miles. My car has a 7% loss after only 30k miles. This seems excessive, should I be worried?

Try charging to 100% the next 3 consecutive charging times. It will balance the cells and give you an accurate reading of your range after 3 times maybe 4 or 5. Do you ever charge to 100%? Do you have a 75 battery limited too the 60 battery specs? If so you can charge to 100% and never have to worry about any damage since your battery would be nowhere near 100%. Also if you want to know your actual range then you have to charge to 100% occasionally. The best way to do it would be to let it run down too no lower than 20% then charge too 100%. You may have to charge to 100% 3-5 times before you notice your range go up. Don't worry about discharging to 20% if it isn't very convenient. If you can do so on the first charge otherwise just try doing 3 full 100% charges. If your worried about charging to 100% don't be there is no real data to show that doing so causes battery degradation etc. I would recommend not leaving it at 100% charge for too long however. If it's the next day that you will drive it then don't worry you just don't want to leave it at 100% for prolonged times. However if your battery is a 75 than none of these issues will be a problem. I would also recommend charging at 27 amps while reconditioning your battery. Let us know if you see a decent amount of miles come back. I would expect at least 3 miles but you might get a lot more.

• Disagree
Reactions: towelie