Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expectations for a recon 90 battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to replace my battery on my 2013 Model S after about 145,000 miles. In the quote, they offered a reconditioned 90 battery, and at the service center, I was told it would be uncorked. It only charged to 225 miles at 90% charge, which was even less than my 85 battery after a lot of driving. The person at the counter told me not to worry and that it would recalibrate after a couple months as the battery "learned" my driving. I'm a pretty modest driver, and the charge only goes up to 230 now, but I would think that it ought to be 20-40 miles more than that at 90% charge. Is this the experience of others getting a recon 90 battery?

Nope.. you got a refurbished battery that is basically an old battery (85kwh) that works, but hey, it’s new for you!
Take a look at the battery label - if it says 400v, it’s an old battery. If it says 350v you got a ‘new’ battery with new battery chemistry that has 90 kWh capacity. This battery has 300 miles on the day you pick it up.

So that we can interpret your replacement pack, could you take pic of pack label? It's located behind the front passenger tire. Once you crawl underneath, look up and it'll be right there. Here's mine.

20230312_143539.jpg

Reactions: evo9rs
400v is the OLD battery — you got a “refurbished” battery which means old cells in a new case.
350v would be the “NEW” 85/90kwh battery that actually was produced recently - it has better performance despite being 350v in supercharging and driving - probably due to the improved chemistry and actual capacity of around 89 kWh.
Just to be clear, you have a battery that was original equipment in a Model S/X 90 - the capacity was 85.8 kWh when new, and these rapidly degraded. The battery you have now probably has a capacity in the 70’s.
In another thread, you note that car is driving funny and noisy - it could be bc the original 90 battery would be too heavy for the suspension on an 85 (the ‘new’ 90 seems to be ok)… this could be your ticket to go back to Tesla and let them know this battery is not compatible with you car. Ask for a 350v battery pack.

• Funny
Reactions: evo9rs and Rocky_H
I have no hard data and certainly can be crying wolf, simply an observation - based feedback on the BMS_u029 Facebook Group that I administer, a few of Tesla 400V reman packs have been failing in 1-2 years. For those that had them replaced toward the end of the original 8 year warranty, the 400V Tesla Reman packs failed either while still under that 8 year or sometime after the 8 year expires. Also, there have been a couple folks that paid for out of warranty Tesla 400V reman pack that have failed in 1-2 years (these are addressed by the 4 year warranty)

One theory is that Tesla 400V reman pack come with original 16 modules and obviously Tesla has then replaced faulty modules. This aforementioned failure thrend indicates difficulty in swapping/adding modules as repair option. Any other thoughts?

What was the total cost for a replacement battery?
Last I recall, from Tesla, $15k USD (that includes Tax and labor) for remanufactured 90/85 kWh. $20k USD (also includes tax and labor) for new 90/85 kWh.

Some 3rd party vendors are able to get new pack from Tesla. Cost is about the same and any warranty work would have to be handled by Tesla.

Lastly, there are several 3rd party options that either offer remanufactured pack replacement or repair on existing pack. Prices vary depending on work done, size/range of replacement pack, etc.