Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks @Ingineer - I hadnt heard of these externally fitted plugs.
a set of those are definitely going on order this weekend.

After wasting half a day today with a flat and Tesla service refusing to offer the tire loaner service beacuse I had had replacement (Michelin PSS) fitted at a local tire shop not at their service center (still dont know where that is written).
Didn't matter that much really as they were 2+ hours away anyway, so next to useless as a service.

Here's a decent plug kit on Amazon: Amazon.com: Smittybilt 2733 Tire Plug and Seal Kit: Automotive

Here's a decent compressor: Amazon.com: Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor: Automotive

Add a small spray bottle full of water with a little dish soap to your kit and it's compete!
Since you have experience with these things, I wonder what you think about this plug kit that someone else mentioned on the thread:

Amazon.com: Stop & Go 1085 Deluxe Tire Repair Kit: Automotive

That one cost a lot more, probably because of the gun thing to put in the plug. The one you mention seems to have more tools though.

I've plugged tires, too - I found that it was easier to get the reamer & plugs into the tread if I drop the pressure to 30 psi. The repair held until the tires wore out - about 12,000 miles on a set of MXM4s that only lasted 25,000 miles.

I've asked tire retailers (Discount & NTB) about Slime repairs and they've all agreed that it's no big deal and doesn't affect the TPMS hardware - they just rinse the Slime out of the tire with water and then repair the puncture normally. Maybe it was earlier versions of either Slime or sensors had problems...

Since you have experience with these things, I wonder what you think about this plug kit that someone else mentioned on the thread:

Amazon.com: Stop & Go 1085 Deluxe Tire Repair Kit: Automotive

That one cost a lot more, probably because of the gun thing to put in the plug. The one you mention seems to have more tools though.

I don't have any experience with that kind of system. The reviews look good, but I think I'll stick with what I know works.

Solarman004, thank you so very much. The Dropbox link worked perfectly. I'll print it out and put in the glovebox of my MX. If I ever have a flat, and face resistance for a repair, I now have a legitimate argument straight from Continental. Thank you again. And wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year without any flats, and many years to come.

Reactions: Ormond
Solarman004, thank you so very much. The Dropbox link worked perfectly. I'll print it out and put in the glovebox of my MX. If I ever have a flat, and face resistance for a repair, I now have a legitimate argument straight from Continental. Thank you again. And wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year without any flats, and many years to come.
@carlshome , glad it worked. The document is only useful after you get to the tire shop. For emergencies, I have a plug kit like @Ingineer mentioned above, plus pliers to remove the puncturing nail/screw, and a pocket knife to trim the plug.