Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experienced a new Model 3 glitch last night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: Love my 2018 LR RWD, best car I've ever owned.

So I was going to get some curbside pickup for dinner last night and like I always do I opened the app to warm up the car (live in the northern midwest). But the iOS app won't fully load and I can't select any of the options. The white status bar along the bottom just stayed on and the little spinning wheel in the lower right just kept spinning and spinning. I restarted my phone, hard closed the app several times, nothing. So I go to my M3 and get in and it's like...DEAD. No lights, no response, nothing. I fiddled with things for like 30 seconds before noticing that the Taptes wireless pad light was going on/off a couple of times. I put my iPhone on the pad and the app loaded immediately and 3 seconds later the Tesla logo appeared on the car screen. Not like a reboot where the logo shows for 10+ seconds, this was like 5 seconds or so. Car started right up and away we went.

Anyone ever experience one like this?

TL;DR - Car went into a deep sleep on its own. Car and app unresponsive until placing the phone on the Taptes wireless charger. Car came out of sleep almost immediately.

So you were able to open your car with your phone using Bluetooth? So the car was not in deep sleep then.

Pressing the brake pedal should had turned on the display. That was the only issue, sometime the screen turn black.

Yeah, I did get into the car with bluetooth (I assume) but the brake pedal did nothing. The screen was off, no doubt about it. I pushed the brake, other buttons on the steering wheel, and tapped the screen. It was completely black and unresponsive until I put the phone on the charger. So odd.

One thing that I did do different settings wise was change the charge time in the car settings. Before Covid-19 the car was set to departure at 6:00 AM. I had shut that off a few weeks ago and remembered that I was paying full price for electricity if I went for a drive during the day and plugged in when I got home. So 2 days ago (just before this issue) I changed the settings to wait until 9:00 PM to start charging. Maybe the car assumed it could sleep based on my settings change?

Last edited:
This feels like a software update that your car downloaded and installed. Of course I haven't heard of a Tesla rebooting itself after a software update but maybe it does it if it's a critical update that needs a reboot.

That sounds more like your Taptes wireless charging pad was preventing your car from properly waking up, and when you put your phone on to charge it cleared the blocking issue. If it happens again try just unplugging the wireless charging pad to see if that resolves the issue.