Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiencing issues with my drive for TeslaCam...anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my Samsung T7 in my car for weeks without issue--it was plug and play when I first got it after a quick reformat. Well, suddenly, it stopped working.

- I was 1 software update off, figured that might be it--so I updated. It still does not work. The camera icon will show after I do a fresh reformat of the drive--but when I try to launch the viewer, the icon disappears and nothing happens. When a sentry mode is detected and you tap the sentry mode event, nothing launches. When I'm driving, it shows the camera icon with a grey icon, or gone entirely.
- I thought my drive was corrupted--I ejected it and tried it on my laptop--worked just fine.
- I even purchased another brand new Samsung T7, still does not work
- I purchased a microSD endurance card with USB--still does not work. I even get an error with this one (triangle with !)
- I read online that large drives needed to be partitioned to something smaller, despite it working before...so I did that, no change.
- I did the brake pedal + both scrollwheel reboot...nothing changed
- I loaded to my computer and made sure the TeslaCam folder was there--it wasn't, so I made it on both the T7 and the microSD...nothing changed.

The only thing that does work is the shitty USB drive that came with the car and that seems to be my go-to in the meantime. I'm a little frustrated since it worked perfectly fine before and I wish I paid better attention when it failed. I'm now on the latest version of the software but it stopped working prior to this last update. I read around here that someone was experiencing this issue back in September and a few others agreed. I'm hoping a resolution has come since, any ideas?

• Informative
Reactions: GeoffEV
I had my Samsung T7 in my car for weeks without issue--it was plug and play when I first got it after a quick reformat. Well, suddenly, it stopped working.

- I was 1 software update off, figured that might be it--so I updated. It still does not work. The camera icon will show after I do a fresh reformat of the drive--but when I try to launch the viewer, the icon disappears and nothing happens. When a sentry mode is detected and you tap the sentry mode event, nothing launches. When I'm driving, it shows the camera icon with a grey icon, or gone entirely.
- I thought my drive was corrupted--I ejected it and tried it on my laptop--worked just fine.
- I even purchased another brand new Samsung T7, still does not work
- I purchased a microSD endurance card with USB--still does not work. I even get an error with this one (triangle with !)
- I read online that large drives needed to be partitioned to something smaller, despite it working before...so I did that, no change.
- I did the brake pedal + both scrollwheel reboot...nothing changed
- I loaded to my computer and made sure the TeslaCam folder was there--it wasn't, so I made it on both the T7 and the microSD...nothing changed.

The only thing that does work is the shitty USB drive that came with the car and that seems to be my go-to in the meantime. I'm a little frustrated since it worked perfectly fine before and I wish I paid better attention when it failed. I'm now on the latest version of the software but it stopped working prior to this last update. I read around here that someone was experiencing this issue back in September and a few others agreed. I'm hoping a resolution has come since, any ideas?
Hello were you able to solve this? I have the exact same issue!

We noticed the Tesla camera alert on our cars recently as well. Both on our Model S and on our Model 3. Been using a USB reader with the Samsung Endurance microSD card well like forever and never had a problem before this. Hoping to find someone with an explanation of what is going on. And yes we reformatted our cards in the computer (MacOS), using MS-DOT FAT (for Mac as always), created the TeslaCam base level folder and no joy. Frustrated and want the recorded protection.

BTW not sitting in either car right now but I know on my Model 3 the Alert was not the one some people have encountered that stated they had multiple devices plugged in. The card reader I'm using is a UGreen USB-A/USB-C reader with two slots (SD and microSD) and I have only used the microSD on it. Same goes for my husband's car.

I really consider the TeslaCamera an essential feature of the car and hate driving knowing it's not working for some reason and have no idea why. I've seen a number of other posts on here with people suddenly experiencing an USB device alert when they never had a problem before.

Last edited:
*Resurrected*

I'm getting this problem too. My Samsung T5 was working well for over a year. Now all of a sudden, it's very intermittent. I've tried formatting the drive, repartitioning, and reloading the content, but it's still intermittent. The drive works 10 times out of 10 on my computer. Has anyone figured out what this is? I don't think it's hardware because it's intermittent for me on both of the front USB-A ports. It might be software, but it didn't break after an update or anything and it's intermittent.

Anyone???

Had the same issue with the stock Tesla USB stick. Bought a Sandisk High Endurance MicroSD card and a reader to use instead as I thought the USB drive had given up the ghost. Alas, my new setup is having the same issue. I'll get in the car (usually in the morning) and I'll notice that the viewer is unavailable. If I force a reformat it will start working again. I noticed this issue with my latest update (2022.12.3.2). Bleh.

Same thing here. Both on the wife's 2022 Y with the stock Tesla stick and my 2020 3 using a samsung T5. Although, the issues seem to be worse on my 3. Can usually get it back up and running quickly, but when it goes out, I just get a notification that the drive needs to be formatted. It appears that some coding somewhere is corrupting the camera storage system. Both of my vehicles are on software 2022.12.3.2.