Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MY - TeslaCam Dashcam - USB no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Snow Drift

[Off-Road Assist] Activated
Feb 10, 2016
Long Island
I recently updated to 2024.8.4 on my 2020 Model Y with front USB port. I have used the same Samsung SSD T5 for years. I noticed that the TeslaCam icon showed a red X so I unplugged and deleted the files via my laptop. Now, when I plug the USB back in nothing happens. The red X remains and under Safety the options are grayed out. I tried to plug in a basic USB stick and still nothing happened. Anyone else?

IMG_8276.JPG

I have slightly similar issue ever since 2024.2.8. In my 2022 Model Y made 12/2021, originally the front usb-c ports were power only but later I bought the data & power capable usb-c center module from Tesla service center & they installed it. Worked great for 1.5 years until I updated to 2024.2.8 in March 2024. Afterwards, the center usb-c ports refuse to detect devices unless they are plugged in just prior to rebooting the computer. The devices are then detected until car goes in to deep sleep. The usb-a port in glovebox works fine. Other 2022 model y owners with retrofitted front center usb-c ports have noticed the same. I’m now using 2024.8.4 & issue persists.

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I have a 2020 M3 and noticed a red “x” on the dashcam icon. I unplugged my drive (a Samsung T7) and powered off the car. After restarting it, the “x” was temporarily replaced with a red pause icon, followed by the regular red dot, at which point I was able to access my sentry videos again. However, upon starting the car later in the day, the “x” had returned.

I’ve since tried reformatting the drive manually, both in exFAT and FAT32, with the TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode sub folders, but the drive now remains unrecognized and the option to format it from the car’s display is greyed out. I’m not sure if it’s related, but I also just recently updated from 2023.27.12 to 2023.44.30.

This just started happening to me as well. The only way to temporarily resolve the issue is to reboot the car and that only seems to last no more than 1 day. I'm also on v 2023.44.30 (Model Y, 2020). I assume this is a software issue and not something hardware related that requires a replacement of the USB module.

This just started happening to me as well. The only way to temporarily resolve the issue is to reboot the car and that only seems to last no more than 1 day. I'm also on v 2023.44.30 (Model Y, 2020). I assume this is a software issue and not something hardware related that requires a replacement of the USB module.
I suspect software issue due to the number of people reporting same problem across a few other threads in this system. Maybe people who have cars which came with data capable usb ports can mention this to Tesla service center. My car has a retrofit & service center wouldn’t take my bug report.

I have had the same problem recently on my 2020 MY. A hard reboot is the only way I can get it to work but the next time I use the vehicle it isn’t working again. Has Tesla said anything about this?
No tesla has said nothing. However, Tesla tends to say nothing as there is no public relations department even. Best bet is report this to service center as a probable software issue. There are a few threads currently and we all notice the same issue. Thus suggesting it is not the usb devices that we are plugging in. Even my game controllers were not working. Service center will first insist the sub device is the problem.

Nope. This afternoon it’s broken again.
Yup, pretty much consistent with what we see across multiple threads. Front usb ports usually not working for data operations unless device is plugged in when computer is rebooted, device will operate normally even if reinserted until car deep sleeps when turned off long enough, which happens overnight always. Glovebox usb-a (for those of us who have them, works fine).

Reactions: cstork and Mike_TV
@Snow Drift - Interested to hear what Tesla is able to fix with your service appointment.

My temporary workaround every night is to unplug the USB stick (before the car sleeps), and when I leave in the morning,I plug it in and it recognizes it. Seems that if the usb is plugged in while the car is asleep, it renders the dash cam USB unavailable until the car reboots or USB is plugged in when woken from a sleep cycle.

• Informative
Reactions: Mercedes fan
I recently updated to 2024.8.4 on my 2020 Model Y with front USB port. I have used the same Samsung SSD T5 for years. I noticed that the TeslaCam icon showed a red X so I unplugged and deleted the files via my laptop. Now, when I plug the USB back in nothing happens. The red X remains and under Safety the options are grayed out. I tried to plug in a basic USB stick and still nothing happened. Anyone else?

View attachment 1030220
Exact same situation for my 2020Y! I scheduled Mobile Service, but now I'm going to be OOT. I've asked for a reschedule beyond the dates provided by the App...so far, no joy. Maybe it'll be fixed by the time I return.