Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MY - TeslaCam Dashcam - USB no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've experienced the same issue. I took our 2020 Model Y to service last week. They replaced the driving computer (for other errors) and the "USB Hub". It was working when I picked it up. But it stopped working again a few days ago (likely after I upgraded to 2023 based version of V12). I tried a reset and that didn't work but it seemed to trigger enough change that it prompted me to reinsert the USB (micro SD in a USB adapter). That made it recognize the drive and I got it going again.

The car had reverted to older version of the software after the driving computer replacement. Last night I finally got 2024.3.10 (again). What was interesting was the car had 2024.3.10 when I took it in for service and I had been unable to reproduce the issue with the software. It seemed to me the problem started with an earlier version of V12 FSD.

Hello. Results from a recent service visit I completed on my 2020 model three on the same issue spell out that firmware 2024.14 will fix it. We shall see.

Attachments

• IMG_8972.png
    IMG_8972.png
    849.3 KB · Views: 13
One thing that was a bit discouraging is that I was hoping they fixed something in HW to prevent this from happening. One that was pulled out of mine was "Rev 1" it states on the sticker, but he showed me the other two from earlier today that he pulled out and they are "Rev 2". So the issue is not necessarily resolved for the future.
This is what they did to fix mine, but it stopped working shortly after I left the SC. I’ve tried all the solutions listed here — reformatting, two scroll wheel reset, leaving sentry mode even at home, etc. and nothing has worked.

I have another appointment scheduled for the 18th. :/

This just started happening to me as well. The only way to temporarily resolve the issue is to reboot the car and that only seems to last no more than 1 day. I'm also on v 2023.44.30 (Model Y, 2020). I assume this is a software issue and not something hardware related that requires a replacement of the USB module.
I can't temporarily resolve the issue either. The problem occurred after I subscribed to FSD 5 days ago (I'm running 2024.8.9 on a 2023 MY LR. I thought the SSD went on the fritz; I plugged in my old USB drive and it, too, doesn't work. It's got to be a software issue. Does everyone having this problem have - or subscribe - to FSD? Or is that not a likely factor?

I can't temporarily resolve the issue either. The problem occurred after I subscribed to FSD 5 days ago (I'm running 2024.8.9 on a 2023 MY LR. I thought the SSD went on the fritz; I plugged in my old USB drive and it, too, doesn't work. It's got to be a software issue. Does everyone having this problem have - or subscribe - to FSD? Or is that not a likely factor?
not factor. subscribing to FSD probably had you update sw?

Its been 1 month now. Anytime my car goes into a deep sleep, my dashcam icon has an X on it and the car can't find my USB. Have to press down the steering wheel buttons and do a restart of the car for it to work again. Its my excluded locations that always crash the Dashcam. I end up restarting my car 1 to 5 times a day. This is becoming so frustrating. With Tesla laying off 10% of its work force, and cutting expenses, I'm afraid OTA bug fixes will take longer then ever.

I didn't read through every response so sorry if somebody already posted this.

SSD drives only have a certain number of writes before they quit working. Most of them have in the fine print the approximate number before failure. Reformatting will sometimes put off the inevitable replacement or a bit, but they all die sooner or later. Dash cams and for sure the tesla with multiple cameras will shorten the life of them considerable.