Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MY - TeslaCam Dashcam - USB no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just getting my 2020 Model Y back for the second time regarding this issue. There's a fairly lengthy message from Service but the gist of it is that this is a firmware issue that's being worked on and will be resolved in Firmware 2024.15. The service tech also indicated that the dash cam will still record and that the alert is false. Not sure how or if I want to check that, but that's what Tesla is telling me as I finish up my second service visit for this same issue. :/

I can't temporarily resolve the issue either. The problem occurred after I subscribed to FSD 5 days ago (I'm running 2024.8.9 on a 2023 MY LR. I thought the SSD went on the fritz; I plugged in my old USB drive and it, too, doesn't work. It's got to be a software issue. Does everyone having this problem have - or subscribe - to FSD? Or is that not a likely factor?
I have the issue & I do not have FSD.

I didn't read through every response so sorry if somebody already posted this.

SSD drives only have a certain number of writes before they quit working. Most of them have in the fine print the approximate number before failure. Reformatting will sometimes put off the inevitable replacement or a bit, but they all die sooner or later. Dash cams and for sure the tesla with multiple cameras will shorten the life of them considerable.
The SSD drives have a 5-10 year life span. Since SSDs don't have moving parts, they're very reliable.

Reactions: BitJam and Stan930
I didn't read through every response so sorry if somebody already posted this.

SSD drives only have a certain number of writes before they quit working. Most of them have in the fine print the approximate number before failure. Reformatting will sometimes put off the inevitable replacement or a bit, but they all die sooner or later. Dash cams and for sure the tesla with multiple cameras will shorten the life of them considerable.
Thats not the issue here. But its easy to check SSD health by plugging it into a computer. My Model Y via sentry mode eats up about 5% of life per year (~8TB per year).

I made a post about it here: For anyone curious, here is how much read/writes my Model Y put on my SSD

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
Just getting my 2020 Model Y back for the second time regarding this issue. There's a fairly lengthy message from Service but the gist of it is that this is a firmware issue that's being worked on and will be resolved in Firmware 2024.15. The service tech also indicated that the dash cam will still record and that the alert is false. Not sure how or if I want to check that, but that's what Tesla is telling me as I finish up my second service visit for this same issue. :/
To test, can you tap to save the footage then eject the USB and view it on your computer?

I haven't read this entire thread--sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Reactions: El joe
hello Model Y 2020 same issue here. Have you guys notices that your UDB game controllers are not recognized also when the issue arises??
for mine this is the case i have 2 USB controller but when the "dashcam not available" issue (or "will be fixed in 2024-15" issue) is there then my controllers are not recognized either.
thanks for the feedback

hello Model Y 2020 same issue here. Have you guys notices that your UDB game controllers are not recognized also when the issue arises??
for mine this is the case i have 2 USB controller but when the "dashcam not available" issue (or "will be fixed in 2024-15" issue) is there then my controllers are not recognized either.
thanks for the feedback
Same. I have data capable center console usb-c ports & usb-a in glovebox. Intel atom mcu2. My usb game controllers & music stick are not recognized by center console usb ports. Basically the center console usb ports are not detecting any devices. Rebooting computer usually fixes issue until car is parked for a while.

hmm my 2018 model 3 usb port hasnt worked for a long time, at best its intermittent working for a few minutes but mostly not. I tried new usb hub replacements, replacing a mini usb cable and also replaced the center console from 1.0 to 2.0 for usb c ports but all same results. Seems like issue with hw 3.0 mcu usb ports i guess. i have to rely on my aftermarket dash cam, but not having sentry mode kinda sux. Since out of warranty, its not worth it to take it in the shop for $250 that would result in failure again..

I have the issue & I do not have FSD.
I found an odd fix that was totally unexpected. When I plugged in the drive to my mac, it showed my TeslaCam folder as well as my Music folder. No issues seen. I deleted the sub-folders and it appeared I'd fixed the issue. Nope. I ran an ERASE and reformat to exFat on the partition - and unbelievably it worked (even though it looked like I'd deleted everything - apparently not!). Not sure if that's a Samsung 1tb SSD issue or a mac issue- but it's functional now. Yay.

I found an odd fix that was totally unexpected. When I plugged in the drive to my mac, it showed my TeslaCam folder as well as my Music folder. No issues seen. I deleted the sub-folders and it appeared I'd fixed the issue. Nope. I ran an ERASE and reformat to exFat on the partition - and unbelievably it worked (even though it looked like I'd deleted everything - apparently not!). Not sure if that's a Samsung 1tb SSD issue or a mac issue- but it's functional now. Yay.
Dont get your hopes up, when car goes into deep sleep its like a 50% chance of it happening again.