Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Explicitly locking the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is a kind of picky question, but:

Is there a way when exiting the MY to explicitly lock the car? I know that I can set it to auto-lock, and I know I can use the key card on the B-post, and I could also buy a key fob, and the app probably has a way too. .

But my wife is concerned that when she leaves the car with her hands full (so no key card, fob or cell phone), someone could get into the car in the 30-50 ft it takes for the car to recognize she's left and engage the auto-lock.

Our previous car only took the touch of a button on the driver's door handle. Is there a similar thing on the MY?

Assuming (1) your wife’s hands are full and she can’t touch to her phone, KeyFOB, or keycard, and (2) she doesn’t trust the walk-away lock feature, then the answer is......No. There is no “lock doors” button to press as she is leaving her vehicle.

However, not sure why it is taking so long for your car to lock. My car locks when I am only 8-10ft away. It honks, so that I can hear it lock.

press the lock icon on the top left of the screen. looks like a padlock

I'm aware that this will lock the doors while I'm inside, but will opening the door to leave and closing it cause the car to re-lock?

However, not sure why it is taking so long for your car to lock. My car locks when I am only 8-10ft away. It honks, so that I can hear it lock.

It's always after I'm at least 4 parking spaces away (sometimes more) from the car before I hear the honk indicating the car has locked.

I'm aware that this will lock the doors while I'm inside, but will opening the door to leave and closing it cause the car to re-lock?

Negative, it will not re-lock. Which is probably good because I could see that leading to unintentional lockouts.

I'm a bit curious about the original scenario... what conditions would there be that would allow someone to jump right in behind her? That sounds like NYC 1978!

One mitigating approach would be to enable PIN-to-Drive. That requires a PIN immediately after the driver exits. It would at least impede theft of vehicle if not theft of belongings.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn

It's always after I'm at least 4 parking spaces away (sometimes more) from the car before I hear the honk indicating the car has locked.

open the door, then press it to lock. I believe it will stay locked. I've never tried, though this is what you do with loaner teslas when you drop them back off at the SC. You lock the keys in the car with this method.

https://www.amazon.com/COLMO-Accessory-Replacement-Customization-Worldwide/dp/B0834BZC7C

As alternative for key fob (at least you do not need to pull it from pocket to force lock/unlock)

Yes... the ring works very well. It's the same as a key card. Note, however, that if you do not use a fob or phone as your key, the auto-lock function is disabled. I personally, with the ring, would like to be able to use auto-lock because I won't take the ring off. But the car doesn't know it's a "ring" (a device that I wear, just like a fob in a pocket), it's just another form factor for a key card, so I'm pretty sure that I'll never be able to auto-lock with the ring... unless they add a software function to allow a 4th "type" of key (i.e., card, phone, fob and ring) and they add "ring" to the allowable auto-lock key list. If the ring is a 3rd party device, I'm thinking Tesla might not want to support it in software.

I know this is a kind of picky question, but:

Is there a way when exiting the MY to explicitly lock the car? I know that I can set it to auto-lock, and I know I can use the key card on the B-post, and I could also buy a key fob, and the app probably has a way too. .

But my wife is concerned that when she leaves the car with her hands full (so no key card, fob or cell phone), someone could get into the car in the 30-50 ft it takes for the car to recognize she's left and engage the auto-lock.

Our previous car only took the touch of a button on the driver's door handle. Is there a similar thing on the MY?

Just tested this on my Model Y: Open the door, then press the lock icon on the display, exit the car and close the door. My car was locked and I had to use the key card to unlock it. The main thing is, I think, be sure to open the door *before* hitting the lock icon. Of course, this is another method of locking a key card in the vehicle.