Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty and pre-paid maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A grand for timing belt/water pump! Please refer me to your auto shop!
Ok I was wrong no brake fluid Change but I forgot the plugs valve cover gasket thermostat pulley and transmission/ oil change. I want an electric car to save money. I hope Tesla will strive for Toyota longevity and reliability. Why don't they just source parts from Toyota/Honda vendors. I don't think I will save enough on gas at current prices to justify the $. Have to wait for a used one and shop manuals to go with it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    673.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Because there really aren't that many serviceable parts that are the same in Tesla and Toyota.

Not entirely sure what you are getting at, since Tesla does source parts from other car manufacturer vendors, so they could source from Honda/Toyota vendors as well. There are lots of parts of a Tesla that are the same as regular cars (e.g. the air shocks are the same off the shelf system used by other manufacturers, and even things like the stalks on the steering wheel are straight from Mercedes)

I am guessing they don't because they are still small peanuts to those vendors, most of whom are used to dealing with much larger volumes than Tesla has been producing.

Ok I was wrong no brake fluid Change but I forgot the plugs valve cover gasket thermostat pulley and transmission/ oil change. I want an electric car to save money. I hope Tesla will strive for Toyota longevity and reliability. Have to wait for a used one and shop manuals to go with it.
Because there really aren't that many serviceable parts that are the same in Tesla and Toyota.
Yup, changing those spark plugs, transmission fluid, and timing belt in the Tesla. It's all covered in the service manual... /sarcasm

Like Toyota, Tesla subscribes to the continual improvement process so although Toyota has nearly 70 years on Tesla, Tesla is aiming to have a short feedback loop and quick iterations. See how much the Model S improved over the years and how quickly Tesla was able to improve the manufacturing process of the Model X to reduce those early defects.

Not entirely sure what you are getting at,
He means typical serviceable parts that the general consumer might try to repair themselves. Not everyone is a mechanic and has the necessary tools lying around.

Keep in mind Tesla service centers aren't set up to make profits like dealerships which have their service centers as the main profit drivers for the business.

It's a gamble. On one hand, you may only spend a few hundred bucks on stuff like 12v batteries or charging ports. But on the other, your DC/DC converter or touchscreen might go and you're out $4k right there--the cost of the ESA. If both go? You'll be kicking yourself. Then there are reports of the 12v batteries failing pretty much annually, so that's another $400 per year.

If Model 3 is truly simpler and better constructed than Model S/X, we shouldn't have to worry about the niggling issues like door handles, 12v batteries, squeaks, leaks, etc. and you may come out on top even with a major out-of-warranty repair like the touchscreen. But it'll be close.

Ultimately, I think the ESA is worth it mainly because I'm not a huge risk-taker and am quite intimate with Lady Luck's evil twin. A brand new first gen car? There will be issues down the road that aren't caught right away because they don't present themselves until years later. Let's be real here, modern car companies who have been making the same damn car for 100 years still can't get it right. Do you honestly believe that a 10-year-old tech startup whose focus is batteries and technology (not cars) will perfectly execute the first car of its platform without a hitch?

You may be lucky and only have to spend the couple hundred here and there for the additional 4 years, but when a single repair of a 5+ year old part that has zero reliability data costs as much as four years of ESA? I'm not willing to take that chance. Good to luck to you if you do.
This makes sense. rather be safe than sorry.

Keep in mind Tesla service centers aren't set up to make profits like dealerships which have their service centers as the main profit drivers for the business

Not making profits doesn't make them cheap for servicing your car based on what I have been reading. In some places the shop rate is $175/ hour. Which is fine for the S and X, but it's going to be a hard sell for a 3 owner.

That 25k brake fluid/AC service that is $700 from Tesla seems ripe for some competition. Too bad there is zero support or service manuals for 49 states.

Not making profits doesn't make them cheap for servicing your car based on what I have been reading. In some places the shop rate is $175/ hour. Which is fine for the S and X, but it's going to be a hard sell for a 3 owner.

That 25k brake fluid/AC service that is $700 from Tesla seems ripe for some competition. Too bad there is zero support or service manuals for 49 states.
I don't know, with the Model S 8 years of the service plan covering that is only $4000.

I don't know, with the Model S 8 years of the service plan covering that is only $4000.

Only? The equivalent service plan for our Audi S4 is less than half that. We actually only paid $865 for the first 4 years 50k service plan. Now an S4 isn't a good comparison to a S, but it will be a good comparison to a 3, I would hope.