Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty? I can't believe it. What did he just say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too have been hoping they’d introduce an extended warranty option. I drive a ton and am halfway through the warranty and got the car in June. Send me a PM if you can about the details. I’d love to be able to keep the car for awhile and be worry free.

I didn't say they were mileage based...

I said that my mileage would exhaust me of my warranty faster than my issues might show up.

Unlike you....I WILL NOT take a loss on anything. Period.
QUOTE]

So which is it? You intend to purchase the extension of the warranty depending on terms or go with Tesla and good will?

I went the good will route. Have had similar conversations with Tesla and my high mileage. However I will pay or as you say Take a loss. I am sure Tesla will help me out, but they don't have to.

Can you explain shouting by the way that how you intend to not take a loss?

Sorry on phone edit is funky.

Last edited:
...Its just not something that Tesla should say. It added nothing positive to the conversation...

I thought he was trying to educate customers to cool down before making any decision.

Make sure all the ducks are lined up first before buying something.

Don't assume that what I don't see now means it will happen any time soon.

I would thank the operator for such enlightenment.

An extended warranty is an insurance policy, that's all it is. And like all of the "extend your warranty for X dollars" products out there, extended warranties are VERY profitable for those who offer them.

And Extremely cheap for those who need them.

If this were another brand/model of a car that has been proven over the years.....I would second think an extended warranty.

This is still a first year car.

And Extremely cheap for those who need them.

If this were another brand/model of a car that has been proven over the years.....I would second think an extended warranty.

This is still a first year car.

So let's throw a figure out there. $3000?
Would you pay that for one years coverage? Assuming you drove same miles as year one?

If you have more than 3k in warranty issues during year 2 of ownership. Tesla will have some serious issues on it's hands if it happens on a large scale.

After a few min of pleasant conversation.....

He said to me " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty".

I said "Excuse me?"

I agree, the wording is a bit rude; it implies you're stupid for asking... because you should have 'known' this in the first place. Not all Tesla owners (especially these days) are "fully knowledgeable" about every nuance of their car (unlike all our friendly forum members).

When you buy a 3, Tesla doesn't proactively tell you "hey, you know you're buying this car with no option for an extended warranty... you coo wit dat?"

As the 'saying' goes... it's not what you say - it's how you say it (applies to both ends of the conversation). If your transcript is accurate, he could have been more polite about it; e.g. "Unfortunately Tesla does not offer an extended warranty for the Model 3, however I'll note your concern with management" (even if piped to null: @ end of call)

Last edited:
So let's throw a figure out there. $3000?
Would you pay that for one years coverage? Assuming you drove same miles as year one?

If you have more than 3k in warranty issues during year 2 of ownership. Tesla will have some serious issues on it's hands if it happens on a large scale.

Total since August = $5810 in itemized costs to Tesla on my car.

What's your suggestion?

I have nothing to say to them.

Charge port door wouldn't open.
Frunk latch replacement.
Leaking seal in rear trunk.
Lights in trunk missing.
Car wouldn't charge - week 1.
No dual tone horn.
Window's on passenger side wouldn't roll all the way up.
Passenger side mirror wouldn't retract.
Dang that is a long list of defects...early VIN hopefully?!
I've had two issues: charge port door was scratched when I took delivery (swapped by Mobile Service maybe a month later), and I had a creaking sound common to early-builds in the left rear where two pieces of frame rubbed. Since then no issues. That said, I've believed for a long time that Tesla would be rolling out an extended warranty product this quarter; it's an easy way for them to near-term raise cash without relying on Wall Street to raise cash for them. Whether I buy it will depend on pricing and decision deadline (and naturally on my continuing experience with my car prior to the decision deadline).

• Helpful
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Dang that is a long list of defects...early VIN hopefully?!
I've had two issues: charge port door was scratched when I took delivery (swapped by Mobile Service maybe a month later), and I had a creaking sound common to early-builds in the left rear where two pieces of frame rubbed. Since then no issues. That said, I've believed for a long time that Tesla would be rolling out an extended warranty product this quarter; it's an easy way for them to near-term raise cash without relying on Wall Street to raise cash for them. Whether I buy it will depend on pricing and decision deadline (and naturally on my continuing experience with my car prior to the decision deadline).

VIN = 55xxx