Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty? I can't believe it. What did he just say?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone,

I have been shaken to my core and have no other words.

I called Tesla Customer Support @ 1-877-798-3752. Prompt 2 and then Prompt 2.

I told the rep that I am interested in acquiring an Extended warranty for my Model 3. He responded " At this time Tesla does not offer any extended warranties for the Model 3. "

No problem. -

I then told the rep that I'm concerned because I am putting a TON of miles on my car right now and I will probably exhaust my warranty before I've had the car for a year. I told him that if I were going to have to pay for my upcoming service appointment outside of warranty - then I would have to pay upwards to $1800 to $2000 that I don't have. I told him that I just want to know if I can speak to someone about this.

After a few min of pleasant conversation.....

He said to me " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty".

I said "Excuse me?"

and then he said this " You do realize that you knowingly purchased your car with full knowledge that Tesla did not offer any kind of extended warranty - so......".

If I didn't record it on my phone I wouldn't believe it.

I don't know what to say. I'm floored.
Shaken to the core. GTFO outta here. Everyone knows Tesla is not at this time, and maybe never offering an extended warranty for these cars.

If that shakes you to the core, how do you deal with real life?

I wish we ( mankind ) ( this forum ) could do the same with kindness and care for one another.

This is the wrong place to ask for that. Just count the number of all the knuckleheads who happily hand out downvotes anytime someone says something bad about Tesla. You can add the number of them incoming on this post :p

I'm not surprised Tesla is not offering extended warranty for the Model 3. This just means they know their product will start having failures as soon as it's out of the initial warranty. Of course this cannot be generalized. Sure, there are/will be a few without problems for longer times but with the build quality track record they have, it doesn't look good.

Good for them to have offered extended warranty for the S. They made a good call there and I'm sure a lot of buyers would have walked away if they hadn't. Same for their used S-es. Personally I wouldn't even have thought of buying one without the 4 years warranty.

The most shocking thing to me was that up to the point of my original post.....Tesla was bending over backwards to cover any and all issues they could for their customers. Inside warranty and outside warranty.

They were serving food at the Service Centers and Stores for free. They were detailing all of the Tesla's that just stopped by for free. and then BAM ( out of the blue ) things changed.

I was told that even though I exhausted my warranty in less than a year ( due to mileage )…..then that's it. You will have to now pay. They stopped serving food....and all of the free perks and services in less than a week. WOW.
They no longer looked like the Tesla of old. They now looked like every other type of Service Center.

Oh well.....

They are still good, but not like they used to be. It is what it is.

Am I hurt? NO
Am I angry? NO

Am I feeling like the way that folks in this forum are going to suggest that I am? NO.

I was just shocked. I'm no longer shocked. Tesla is Tesla. It is what it is.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Seems likely that Tesla just hasn't put the model 3 extended warranty program together yet, what with all the other stuff they are doing. Personally I wouldn't make more of it than that. I will probably buy the warranty when it becomes available, but not too worried before then.

I guess if it was crucially important to me to be able to buy an extended warranty, I would have confirmed pricing and availability before buying the car.

Seems likely that Tesla just hasn't put the model 3 extended warranty program together yet, what with all the other stuff they are doing. Personally I wouldn't make more of it than that. I will probably buy the warranty when it becomes available, but not too worried before then.

I guess if it was crucially important to me to be able to buy an extended warranty, I would have confirmed pricing and availability before buying the car.
Almost all extended warranties are third party. Most car manufacturers do not offer. Tesla offering for S, X unusual. I doubt they will Ever offer again.

Almost all extended warranties are third party. Most car manufacturers do not offer. Tesla offering for S, X unusual. I doubt they will Ever offer again.

Most car companies I know do.

This topic is partly why I switched from Model 3 to Model X. Just didn't like the idea of owning a Tesla with out factory coverage.
Also got unlimited miles on Battery and drive train.

I had assumed Tesla eventually would offer it on Model 3, I find it very odd that they do not.

Wow, Garlan.... you've been on this blog a long time and many many postings - mostly complaints BEFORE you got the car. But that's your right.
My question is how did you never read or get involved in any of those "No extended warranty" discussions that took place when the M3's finally came out?

What? I got my car in September 2018.

What do you mean I started posting in this blog before I got my car

I wonder if all 400K pre 2020 model S owners should have waited to buy their cars until they could read about this. (8 years after the model 3 came out).
New Battery warranty terms for new Model S

Last edited: