Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you really get away with an extension cord and use a nearby (but not close) dryer outlet? I think my dryer is on a 30A circuit, but I'll check.

This would work in a pinch while I wait for someone to mess with my electrical. It takes forever to get an electrician to do that around here.

• Helpful
Reactions: MoHazee4
I have this one... Unfortunately with detached garages and an old house, I found myself 60 feet from the electrical panel.

I have 28' of 6/3 in the garage going to a 14-50 outlet mounted to outside of garage and then this 100' 6/3 cord running down my driveway to where I normally park

Total run of wire from box to vehicle is close to 150'. At 32a (full draw on mobile connector) voltage drops from 239 @5a to 232.

It's heavy, expensive and works.

Parkworld 60110 RV 50amp Extension Cord 100FT NEMA 14-50, Plug and Receptacle with Lighted (100 Feet) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKXL66K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UyV8DbZP883GA

Can you really get away with an extension cord and use a nearby (but not close) dryer outlet? I think my dryer is on a 30A circuit, but I'll check.

This would work in a pinch while I wait for someone to mess with my electrical. It takes forever to get an electrician to do that around here.

Yes it works fine. You do need to get the adapter from Tesla to plug into the dryer outlet (be sure that you know the correct outlet because there are MANY 240 volt plugs used in the US and none of the plugs are compatible with each other, I have a 10-30). Been using it for over 16 months. I never unplugged the extension from the wall nor the mobile connector from the extension. This 30 amp outlet will charge @ 24 amps (standard 80% of max) and will put 23 miles of range into the Model 3 in an hour (so overnight will fully charge an empty battery). It only put 17 miles of range into a Model S per hour plugged in, Model 3 is more efficient. I keep the j-1772 adapter in the car for level 2 charging, Superchargers do not need any adapter. Unless you need to charge from almost empty to almost full fast, I don't see the need for the wall connector ($500). I was thankful to have an unused 240 volt dryer outlet available (my dryer is gas). Hope this helps with your decision.