Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension Cord Sidewalk Push Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more thing, as others have mentioned the EVSE could potentially just be a high powered NEMA outlet, e.g. a 14-50 on a 50A circuit to support up to 40A continuous draw charging. I'm NOT a fan of installing NEMA outlets for daily dedicated EV charging though, especially not outdoors. There are technical, practical/UX, and physical reasons to install a hardwired EVSE instead.

Now if we were talking about setting up a charging circuit at a relative's house who doesn't have an EV themselves, that just wants to be nice and support you charging when you visit, then a 14-50 outlet is a good choice for you to plugin to occasionally. However I'd never recommend deploying a new NEMA outlet for daily charging anymore.

(In the past the situation was different, especially for Tesla charging, and it used to make a lot of sense to install a NEMA 14-50 to daily charge a Tesla instead of using a Wall Connector. That's why many folks who've had a Tesla for a long time went the 14-50 route. Like me! But I would NOT recommend it for new charging circuits anymore, the circumstances and costs have changed significantly, now a Wall Connector is the entirely better option for daily charging.)

@tm1v2 - exactly, really great summary. Props.

Most HOAs are barely funded for common area maintenance. Apparently many are chronically in debt. That could factor into what they choose to do, too.

At the end of the day, everyone assesses these sorts of “local” things from a pretty selfish perspective, regardless of macro preferences.

Reactions: thefrog1394
Yes funding is an important part I didn't even cover!

If the HOA decides to do a big charger installation on its own, that'll probably require a capital improvement special assessment. Unless the HOA's reserves are especially strong... typically only the case for older HOAs that have had many decades to build up their reserves beyond the mandatory expenditures called for in their reserve study.

If the HOA wants to do your individual charger install themselves I imagine they'd still want you to pay for it. Or maybe to pay the contractors directly? I'm actually unfamiliar with how an HOA might charge an individual homeowner for a common area improvement that only benefits that homeowner. Maybe it's more likely they would just let you do the job (via licensed contractors) and then do their own inspection.

I leave the cable on my lawn in the left of the pic and leave the mat on my door step. I only charge late at night now and unplug before morning.

My wife parks next to the median and I was thinking maybe I could go under the side wall there and install an outlet somehow. View attachment 769928

That median does look like your best option. Have you net with the HOA yet ?

First, is your townhome legally a condo, or something else? E.g. do you wholly own the land underneath your townhome? How about the land in front of it prior to the sidewalk?

Second, what are your existing rights to that parking spot you want to charge from? Is it land you own? Is its use deeded to you? Is it exclusive use common area? Is it assigned by the HOA but could be reassigned under certain circumstances out of your control? Or is it just normal shared common area, and any HOA member may park there?

Finally someone that knows what they are talking about when it comes to condos @tm1v2.

@Floydsox, I really think you need to figure out these questions before anything else. If you own the land in front of your condo but not the spot, I think you might still have options for permanent install. If you own the spot, then that's even better. But if you only own the unit itself, then I really think a shared, paid unit through a service that specializes in multi-unit residential EVSE installs is going to be your best sell. HOA would be silly to allow anything else on common land really.

Most of the HOA neighborhoods here were built on the "Cheap" and have just a 100 am service for the home. So the power distribution is not really the best for high numbers of people trying to wire up their 240 charging systems to the grid. And it's all underground so any improvements would be costly at best. The grid is sized for over subscription.. ie.. not everyone on the grid element will be drawing 100 amps at the same time. Its not designed to supply that much current. To do an upgrade to the house service requires new cabling from the street to the house, the current size of conductors are not legal for 200 amp service hence an upgraded service to 200 amp is about 6K USD. This is why I have a smart switch on my one 240 outlet for both EVs. It was MUCH cheaper than the service upgrade for two 240 outlets.

At this time, there is not any rules for the HOA about upgrading your house service relative to everyone else on the same grid element. Its not been an issue yet.. but I'm sure it's coming. I dont think it has dawned on anyone yet the subtle issues of EVs like this. They barely figured out rules for solar installs.

The condos around here are even worse for power. No cords allowed to be laying on the sidewalks or paths.. no wires out the window. No upgrades to the power since the main supply is shared between condos. I think it's blocks of 4 units? I'd have to check that part again. I have condos just a few blocks away from here.. I run past them every other day or so and not a single EV there. Not sure where they could even put community chargers as there is not enough parking available as it is.

UPDATE.

HOA sent me a full one pager email. Basically it said that my current charging arrangement is considered a tripping hazard and that they will put me on “notice” to any insurance claims resulting in injury. They “request” that I stop that current charging arrangement.

They also said they support renewable energy vehicles and they are looking to future projects to support electric charging.

I responded of course with alternatives to charge my car at my own home with ideas brought up here.

They forwarded it to the directors and I should hear back soon.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
That seems like a long wait just for them to say "no". I was expecting their response to contain solutions instead of a roadblock.

Sadly, past experiences with HOAs led me to I expect nothing more. Most HOAs are supported by a remote management company that mostly collects and accounts for funds, etc…and the “board” is neighbors who are uncompensated and have limited time to deal with whatever comes up… so researching solutions that have complex implementation considerations while likely applying to only a few neighbors in niche situations is low on the priority list.

“They also said they support renewable energy vehicles and they are looking to future projects to support electric charging.”​

This and $2.95 will get you a coffee at Starbucks these days. It is no more valuable of a statement than that, just a nice polite “if it costs us nothing then we are with you” sentence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Floydsox and tm1v2
If you are really good friends with people across the street with a garage, ask if you can plug your charger into an outlet in their garage and then park your car in front of their garage door and charge at night or at times when it wont matter if their car would be blocked in the garage. The garage door does not crush a cable.
I visit friends on weekends occasionally and they keep their car in the garage, but I plug in at night to charge so I dont have to use a supercharger to make it back home . Their other friend does the same with an RV so that the generator doesn't have to run to keep the fridge going. Buy another clicker or program your car so it can open their garage, so you can put the end of the cord in or out garage as needed. Then pay then a few bucks each month to offset the electric cost.
Why dont you just use the Chargepoint charger that is in your complex instead? Is it really far away, or do the charge a lot to use it, or have a limit on the time you can leave your car charged in?

Reactions: valaeyron and 68882
If you are really good friends with people across the street with a garage, ask if you can plug your charger into an outlet in their garage and then park your car in front of their garage door and charge at night or at times when it wont matter if their car would be blocked in the garage. The garage door does not crush a cable.
I visit friends on weekends occasionally and they keep their car in the garage, but I plug in at night to charge so I dont have to use a supercharger to make it back home . Their other friend does the same with an RV so that the generator doesn't have to run to keep the fridge going. Buy another clicker or program your car so it can open their garage, so you can put the end of the cord in or out garage as needed. Then pay then a few bucks each month to offset the electric cost.
Why dont you just use the Chargepoint charger that is in your complex instead? Is it really far away, or do the charge a lot to use it, or have a limit on the time you can leave your car charged in?
I’ve been charging my car late at night only for about 2-3 hours and been using the free charger at my work. Haven’t heard from my HOA about it since the first letter.

In the mean time, 2 more teslas popped up in my neighborhood lol.

I’ve been charging my car late at night only for about 2-3 hours and been using the free charger at my work. Haven’t heard from my HOA about it since the first letter.

In the mean time, 2 more teslas popped up in my neighborhood lol.

Glad to hear it. In all likelihood the HOA complainer has simply not run across (pardon the pun) your setup since… What are they all doing to charge?