Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension Cord?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you really have to do this (and want to do it safely), you're better off using a J1772 extension cord than 5-15 extension cord (if you end up using a regular extension cord, don't using anything thinner than 12 gauge and check the cable and plugs quite often to ensure they're not overheating and causing a fire hazard), but they're not cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/JLONG-40ft-J1772-extension-cable/dp/B01B6OH99S

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you really have to do this (and want to do it safely), you're better off using a J1772 extension cord than 5-15 extension cord (if you end up using a regular extension cord, don't using anything thinner than 12 gauge and check the cable and plugs quite often to ensure they're not overheating and causing a fire hazard), but they're not cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/JLONG-40ft-J1772-extension-cable/dp/B01B6OH99S
Since the NEMA 5-15 outlet supplies 15 amps max, why would he need to go with an extension cord that supports 40 amps? Is it because of the additional potential resistive loss due to added length in the extension cord?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Since the NEMA 5-15 outlet supplies 15 amps max, why would he need to go with an extension cord that supports 40 amps? Is it because of the additional potential resistive loss due to added length in the extension cord?
I just linked the first one that came up on Amazon as an example (OP can search for cheaper ones if needed).

Don’t listen to people. Get a good 10 or 12 gauge and you’re good to go. No problem.
But check the plugs to make sure they're not overheating.

Reactions: coconutboy84
For 50ft I would definitely aim for 10gauge.
The argument to use the extension on the car end is that the Tesla AC adapter has a heat sensor.

Personally I have just checked the cord a few times when I use my 10gauge 25foot extension cord and been fine. I do always check it till I have done so enough times I am comfortable with the outlet.

Reactions: darkrai
I made a video a few months ago, showing 3 different extension cords with their lengths and gauges and the voltage loss in the car compared to plugging the charging adapter directly into a 5-15 outlet. There can be quite a difference depending on cable size and quality! Don't buy your extension cord at Wal-Mart!

Reactions: zachd and Federico
I've used a 50' 12 gauge extension cord for the 5-15 outlet with no issues. The ends get warm but not hot overnight.

The gauge is more about the voltage drop and heating in the cord itself, although I'd also expect that the ends would be better connected and less likely to get warm in a 10 gauge. I assume the maker would expect you to be running more current in a 10 gauge and would make those connections better.