Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior detailing question

bobbyg123

May 5, 2021
Duvall, WA
Hi everyone. I just took delivery of my new M3P (Red) last week, and I'm working on my detail protocol for her. I'm scheduled to have PPF installed on July 15th, so I won't be driving her much in advance of that. It's torturous looking at her in my garage without being able to drive her, but it's for the best. :)

I've decided not to perform a full-on paint correction at the suggestion of my detail shop. They looked at the paint and said it's pretty solid as-is. They treat the paint before installing the PPF, and recommended not doing any buffing. It's a high end shop, so I appreciated their honesty there.

As neurotic as I sound about my paint, I'm actually not obsessive once the precautions (PPF) are taken. I'll occasionally clay bar, and use a moderately priced ceramic spray like Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions on the non-PPF areas. My question is, what product can I apply to the PPF to help extend the life? I just read that it's not recommended to use ceramic / detail sprays on the PPF.

Thanks!

Star Platinum

Mar 20, 2019
Philadelphia
I don’t see why you can’t use any of the turtle wax hybrid solutions line on your PPF. I just recently applied TW graphene flex wax and seal and shine as a second coat on the PPF and no issues.

fortunex

Mar 19, 2021
Arizona
Uhhhh any detail spray should be totally fine on the PPF. Ceramic coat is definitely okay over PPF and it's one of the best protections against the main issue that degrades PPF: UV sunlight.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC