Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior Paint Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read in one of the Tesla M3 blogs that only 1-coat of paint is applied to a standard black color for Tesla M3 but 6-7 coats of paint on other colors. Is it true? I planned on ordering just the standard black instead of spending another $1000 for another color. But it may be worth it if there are more coats applied to other colors.

I read in one of the Tesla M3 blogs that only 1-coat of paint is applied to a standard black color for Tesla M3 but 6-7 coats of paint on other colors. Is it true? I planned on ordering just the standard black instead of spending another $1000 for another color. But it may be worth it if there are more coats applied to other colors.
Telsa flat black is a very difficult color to maintain and keep looking remotely new. Non-baked Paint is the biggest issue. Lighter colors are a safer bet.

As far as I know the only two colors that have one extra coat are Multi Coat White and Multi Coat Red. The rest, including black, would be one coat of color over primer and one coat of clear coat over the color. The Multi Coat have a base color coat over primer, a second ‘effect’ coat over the base color coat and clear coat over that.

As far as I know the only two colors that have one extra coat are Multi Coat White and Multi Coat Red. The rest, including black, would be one coat of color over primer and one coat of clear coat over the color. The Multi Coat have a base color coat over primer, a second ‘effect’ coat over the base color coat and clear coat over that.

Thank you.

Thank you.