Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme Vampire Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since my Tesla received 32.2.2 I have been experiencing a range loss from 240 down to 233. So based on suggestions, I ran it down to 10% then up to 100%, twice. The second returned me the same 233 miles. But since they downloaded 32.11.1, I've been having some extreme vampire drain. The first pic was taken yesterday morning after charging completed and the second was taken 24 hours later. A loss of 12 miles in one day. This mean I'm losing 5.2% per day, or 1 mile for every 2 hours while sitting idle. This can't be normal.

Vampire Drain (10-05-19).jpg

The car did not move yesterday as it was my 9/80 day off and I was tied up on other things.

No systems were on, sentry is disabled at home, no fan/climate control was on, no lights were on, even the SSD was removed the day before for viewing.

I don't get it. I could conceivably run out of juice while sitting in my own garage or parked at the airport while I'm on a business trip.

Am I the only one experiencing this level of vampire drain? This is nuts!

Reactions: fseir
Try checking "Autopilot--Summon -- Standby mode" and turning that OFF.

I believe it defaults to "On" in the new firmware to enable summon to connect faster, but I also think the car is "more awake". I turned that off when I read about it here somewhere. Try that.

Try checking "Autopilot--Summon -- Standby mode" and turning that OFF.

I believe it defaults to "On" in the new firmware to enable summon to connect faster, but I also think the car is "more awake". I turned that off when I read about it here somewhere. Try that.

Yeah, I did see that in another thread, but I cheaped out when I bought mine and didn't opt for summon feature. I did go through every screen this morning to see if anything was left on, but nothing I could see was left on. Even wifi is off.

Yeah, I did see that in another thread, but I cheaped out when I bought mine and didn't opt for summon feature. I did go through every screen this morning to see if anything was left on, but nothing I could see was left on. Even wifi is off.

That amount of drain makes me think the car did not go to sleep for some reason. There are many valid reasons for that (it could be downloading a firmware update, map update, uploading information etc).

You could try turning off data sharing or something, but if I were you I would just monitor it for a few days and see if it continues at that pace.

Wow, still losing. Just looked and it's been 4 hours since the last time I looked and I'm now down another 2 miles in 4 hours of just sitting in the garage.

View attachment 462917

My car a experiences similar drain when I am at work.

I am not expert at all, so my questions/advice could be completely off lol. Could it be your car is being pinged by the Tesla servers to check for software updates? What is you setting on the software screen? I can't remember the exact wording but isn't there an "advanced" option that checks for upgrades more frequently? Also how often does the app your using ping your car for information?

Wow, still losing. Just looked and it's been 4 hours since the last time I looked and I'm now down another 2 miles in 4 hours of just sitting in the garage.

View attachment 462917

Whatever app that is you are looking at is not the tesa app, and many times those apps can keep the car awake. Maybe try temporarily stopping using whatever that is (and change your tesla password to invalidate its token, then check again in the official tesla app this evening.

..... that is, unless that is how the official tesla app looks on android? I dont use it on android so wouldnt know.

Reactions: mswlogo
My car a experiences similar drain when I am at work.

I am not expert at all, so my questions/advice could be completely off lol. Could it be your car is being pinged by the Tesla servers to check for software updates? What is you setting on the software screen? I can't remember the exact wording but isn't there an "advanced" option that checks for upgrades more frequently? Also how often does the app your using ping your car for information?

The function that allows Tesla to ping my car is turned off. Also, I lose about a mile an hour while at work because sentry and no a/c climate is on. Next week only the sentry will be on because I can crack the 4 windows with the new "vent" function.

Whatever app that is you are looking at is not the tesa app, and many times those apps can keep the car awake. Maybe try temporarily stopping using whatever that is (and change your tesla password to invalidate its token, then check again in the official Tesla app this evening.

..... that is, unless that is how the official Tesla app looks on android? I don't use it on android so wouldn't know.

It's the Tesla Control app and it's definitely off when I exit. I just accessed the app and at the bottom it notes that it's off and is waking the Tesla. It may still be on, I don't think so, but you never know.

Sleeping.PNG

Yeah, stop all data connections and see if it still drains.

I don't plan to check on it again until later tonight, maybe 10-11pm-ish and see if it's still losing a mile every 2 hours.

I'll definitely be checking back in @St☰v☰ for your update. I have arrive to work with around 270 - 273 range and when I leave 8-9 hours later I am usually around 256, from sentry mode and I assuming the car checking for software updates.

Which model is your 3? Are you charging to no more than 80% daily?

I was tempted to do the vent at work too but DC has mosquitoes year around (yes even in the dead of winter mosquitoes are still a nuisance) and they end up your car as they love garages lol.

I'll definitely be checking back in @St☰v☰ for your update. I have arrive to work with around 270 - 273 range and when I leave 8-9 hours later I am usually around 256, from sentry mode and I assuming the car checking for software updates.

Which model is your 3? Are you charging to no more than 80% daily?

I was tempted to do the vent at work too but DC has mosquitoes year around (yes even in the dead of winter mosquitoes are still a nuisance) and they end up your car as they love garages lol.

I have an SR+ and luckily I'm in SoCal, so not many pesky mosquitoes. I did shut my laptop down just to make sure any connection to the Tesla was terminated. I'm on my droid typing this out while in the garage working on my other car... ice cars car be so demanding :p

The function that allows Tesla to ping my car is turned off. Also, I lose about a mile an hour while at work because sentry and no a/c climate is on. Next week only the sentry will be on because I can crack the 4 windows with the new "vent" function.

It's the Tesla Control app and it's definitely off when I exit. I just accessed the app and at the bottom it notes that it's off and is waking the Tesla. It may still be on, I don't think so, but you never know.

View attachment 462926

I don't plan to check on it again until later tonight, maybe 10-11pm-ish and see if it's still losing a mile every 2 hours.

Never heard of "tesla control", but during the time I have been here, it has been VERY common for some update or another to require third party apps to be re configured / re setup by their creators because of some change that induces some strange behavior. its not enough that the app is "off". In order to see if the app is it, change your tesla password so that it cant access your car. Then check this evening. If you still have drain, you know its not the app. If you dont, its likely it was the app.

I am making this suggestion because the drain is obviously bothering you, and it absolutely could be that app, regardless of if it reports "its off" or not.

If everything is turned off, reach out to Tesla to have them check the logs. Perhaps the car isn't going to sleep. Other people have reported similar and it turned out to be the firmware on some component preventing the car from sleeping. I'd also try a reboot.

Just a quick check before I close the day out and we're at 213 miles, must have been ready to switch from the 11 PM reading. And thoughts folks?

View attachment 463103

Some people here have reported that when they enabled sentry mode scheduling (but not at home or work) that they had issues with that. My personal feeling is that you "think" everything is off, but its not. Something is still on, keeping the car awake.

Yes, once you enable sentry mode, the car alarm goes back on even if you had it off beforehand and also uses some miles/kWh.
Not sure if you mean this thread I started, but try turning everything off in there and double check it. Also, change the Tesla login password just to be sure and restart the car by holding the two buttons and break pedal for a good minute until a T comes up. You have to be in Park.

Tesla Model 3 Vampire Drain (aka loosing mileage when stationary)