Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Approved Towing Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I know (please correct me if I am wrong) that there is no factory approved (and thus not affecting warranty) option for towing with the Model S. My question is this: Since there is an option for towing with the Model X, and the Model X shares the platform with the Model S, shouldn't Model S cars built after the Model X was released, be able to use the factory approved towing without issue?

I guess, for me, I need a little towing, to do trailers to home improvement etc, not for towing a big boat etc.

The Model X has the towing "dock" built into the back of the car, providing for attachment of the towing hardware and the electrical connection to support brake lights on the trailer.

This isn't provided for with the Model S, which has a different rear end design and may not be able to support pulling a heavy trailer behind the car.

Recommend you consult with Tesla. If you own a Model S and attempt to tow anything, and Tesla doesn't support that, you'll likely invalidate your warranty, including the 8 year warranty on the battery pack and motors.

Towing a small trailer a few times shouldn't be a problem. Tesla would need to show that the towing directly caused the failure for them to be able to deny warranty coverage for.

Be careful with the install though, there have been some corrosion issues with some of the aftermarket hitch installs.

I was told by someone who worked on the Model S design team that the car was designed to tow and is capable of towing, however at the time when the Model S was released, the design team was too small and too busy to get the certification done. I suppose since then they've been busy with the X and the 3

First, how would Tesla know u were towing, drag on motor? Towing shouldn't affect battery warranty. Tesla might balk at motor replacement. But I saw a S with nice camper, but it was a 100D. I have to say this, not all service centers care about customer care. I've been in 4 different SCs. All had a different attitude, from great to lying thru their teeth. So your warranty repair depends on your SCs Karma.

I’d love to be able to launch my 19’ ski boat with my S...the ramp is only a few miles away. I’m sure it could handle it without a problem.
I know it could. I towed a 17' 125 HP outboard with an MGB, to Lake Powell from Phx Az. I could dump the clutch at low RPM and let it chug up the ramp with the boat. Amazingly, I could pull 70 mph on level ground.
Do I think the S can tow? Sure it can. It's all about warrantee and make sure it's a custom job tied in very well. The air ride would make it a killer tow vehicle. A little trailer tilt action? But lately I'm not keen on the whole gas boat thing. Electric ones are getting there though, complete with Tesla Battery Packs at just under 2,000 lbs. I want one!
Enthusiast builds all-electric speed boat using Tesla battery modules - Electrek

Reactions: Dare and Araman0