TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Factory Approved Towing Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by mandoskippy, Jun 5, 2018.

1. mandoskippy

mandoskippy Member

So, I know (please correct me if I am wrong) that there is no factory approved (and thus not affecting warranty) option for towing with the Model S. My question is this: Since there is an option for towing with the Model X, and the Model X shares the platform with the Model S, shouldn't Model S cars built after the Model X was released, be able to use the factory approved towing without issue?

I guess, for me, I need a little towing, to do trailers to home improvement etc, not for towing a big boat etc.

2. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

The Model X has the towing "dock" built into the back of the car, providing for attachment of the towing hardware and the electrical connection to support brake lights on the trailer.

This isn't provided for with the Model S, which has a different rear end design and may not be able to support pulling a heavy trailer behind the car.

Recommend you consult with Tesla. If you own a Model S and attempt to tow anything, and Tesla doesn't support that, you'll likely invalidate your warranty, including the 8 year warranty on the battery pack and motors.

3. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Towing a small trailer a few times shouldn't be a problem. Tesla would need to show that the towing directly caused the failure for them to be able to deny warranty coverage for.

Be careful with the install though, there have been some corrosion issues with some of the aftermarket hitch installs.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

I saw a model 3 yesterday with a tow receiver.

5. SSedan

SSedan Member

Ability to tow is one of the differentiators for the X From the S. Kind of like the P3 won't be as fast as a P100D.

Sure they could do it but they want to have a reason for you to spend more.

6. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I was told by someone who worked on the Model S design team that the car was designed to tow and is capable of towing, however at the time when the Model S was released, the design team was too small and too busy to get the certification done. I suppose since then they've been busy with the X and the 3

7. jeffpaul

jeffpaul Member

There are too many expensive things that could go wrong on these cars to risk invalidating your warranty with an aftermarket receiver/wiring. If you need to tow and value your warranty, get a model X or a truck as a second vehicle.

• Disagree x 1