Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Installed Tow Hitch is better or Tesla SC instal after a week or 2 is better or does not make a difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All

If the Factory Installed Tow Hitch is better or Tesla SC instal after a week or 2 is better or does not make a difference?

I ordered with Tow hitch but they are giving me the car without the tow hitch but telling me that they will instal it on a later date. I always thought the factory installed would be better.
Please advise.
Thanks

It is the exact same tow hitch installed in the exact same way, just at a service center instead of at the factory... the SC installed one is $1,200 vs installed at the factory for $1,000

As mentioned above, the hitch itself is the same and installed the same, so there's no real difference with the hardware. However, consider the following:

1) You're paying $200 more to get it added after taking delivery.
2) That $1200 is an upfront payment, and not $1000 spread out over 72 months (or whatever your loan terms are).
3) That $1200 is taxed, so it's going to cost you closer to $1300 out of pocket.
4) You have to take extra time to schedule a service to have Tesla mobile come out and install it, and the install will take a couple of hours.

It is the exact same tow hitch installed in the exact same way, just at a service center instead of at the factory... the SC installed one is $1,200 vs installed at the factory for $1,000

Keith
Thanks Keith
But does not it effect your car with the thing being done at a professional install at factory then the SC, as they might not be able to be professional enough?
Thank

As mentioned above, the hitch itself is the same and installed the same, so there's no real difference with the hardware. However, consider the following:

1) You're paying $200 more to get it added after taking delivery.
2) That $1200 is an upfront payment, and not $1000 spread out over 72 months (or whatever your loan terms are).
3) That $1200 is taxed, so it's going to cost you closer to $1300 out of pocket.
4) You have to take extra time to schedule a service to have Tesla mobile come out and install it, and the install will take a couple of hours.
Hello Assuming money is not the difference, what do you think about the installation issues and effect to the car from installation before or after?
Thanks for your help

Thanks Keith
But does not it effect your car with the thing being done at a professional install at factory then the SC, as they might not be able to be professional enough?
Thank

Ummm, the SC's fix all the stuff that is jacked up at the factory... so personally I would expect better panel alignment on the rear bumper cover out of the SC after a hitch install than it was before it went in for the work.

Keith

Reactions: cancoi
Ummm, the SC's fix all the stuff that is jacked up at the factory... so personally I would expect better panel alignment on the rear bumper cover out of the SC after a hitch install than it was before it went in for the work.

Keith
One would hope but there’s also stories about the SCs sometimes messing things up worse or damaging something else in the process. Either way I wouldn’t be super worried about the SC doing it but would prefer a factory one if possible.

My tow hitch was installed at the factory. It was from Fremont and perhaps some factories do the install and some leave it for the SC? It also seems likely if the hitch parts are on back order, they would ship the car without and the SC can install it. Labor rates are more expensive at a SC than in the factory and a factory install would be more efficient so it seems pretty unlikely that Tesla would leave any more for the SC than they have to. If t'were not so, Tesla would just ship MY kits to the SC and have the whole car assembled there, eh?