Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory visit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
Holding a reservation in HK, in San Francisco right now - tomorrow I will go and see the factory, and I know/think/expect very slim chances to see anything inside. But I want to get as close as I can, just ... because I am here, and this is as close as it gets.

Any suggestions? Leaving early Wednesday, so 1/1 is the only day I have to do it. Maybe a dealership where I could actually touch, maybe even drive, a Tesla S?

Most of the stores offer test drives, though you usually have to schedule in advance. But it's worth a shot to call the two Bay Area stores (Menlo Park and San Jose), to see if you can arrange something on short notice. You can definitely look at and sit in a Model S if you visit one of those stores, even if they don't have a test drive slot available.

I have no idea if the factory is even operating today, or if anyone is taking deliveries there, given the holiday. But some people have had luck using this forum to arrange to tag along for somebody else's delivery.

markb1 is right - your best bet to visit the factory is to ask here on the forum if anyone is taking delivery tomorrow. If they have room to take you along as a guest, you'll be able to visit. Otherwise it is unlikely.

Or just show up and wait around for someone nice enough to let you come along on their tour. I'd most likely do it if someone showed up and asked me to let them come along. Only one group in our tour had 5 people total the others were 2 or 3 people (5 groups I think) The Tesla DS guys may let you take a tour even if you came alone and signed in, it's worth trying if you go near Fremont at all! nothing to lose ;>

Great news!

I met with some family members who happen to live quite close by the factory. But we just passed it on the freeway, decided to go straight for the store in (I think the Menlo Park one?). They were booked one week ahead but as they heard I had come over all the way from Hong Kong, they managed to squeeze me in - so not only did I get to sit in the Tesla, I even got a test drive, including up and down the freeway, yay!

The Tesla S is just as I expected, from what I read, and saw in videos. It really has a "Fast Forward" button, not an accelerator! And the regen works a charm - even with my expectations, I am duly impressed!

I am so thrilled now. Yes, it could make the waiting time harder, but all I am really concerned about is if I will either 1) get the car before the HK FRT (First Registration Tax) exemption expires April 1st 2014 or 2) if the FRT waiver is postponed until whatever time after we can get the Tesla S (or X for those that it matters).

The FRT really doubles the price of the Tesla S, if you get it with all the extras. If nothing changes, the top end Tesla S will be like ... twice the price, overnight on April 1st, 2014. HK politicians often speak with two tongues, so let see if they are serious or not about EVs and fighting pollution.

As mentioned elsewhere ... Nissan is grossly taking advantage of the FRT exemption by overpricing the Leaf in HK - it sells at 380,000 HKD as far as I have been informed (around 50K USD!). Compare that to a low end Tesla - not knowing the prices yet, I really hope Tesla will show HK that they are serious too - by not hiking the prices in HK compared to other markets.

Thank you so much, Nick, for offering us the tour today, happy new year!

- - - Updated - - -

And one more thing: When you open the small mesh in the frunk - even I will fit inside and close the hood!

Great news!

I met with some family members who happen to live quite close by the factory. But we just passed it on the freeway, decided to go straight for the store in (I think the Menlo Park one?). They were booked one week ahead but as they heard I had come over all the way from Hong Kong, they managed to squeeze me in - so not only did I get to sit in the Tesla, I even got a test drive, including up and down the freeway, yay!

The Tesla S is just as I expected, from what I read, and saw in videos. It really has a "Fast Forward" button, not an accelerator! And the regen works a charm - even with my expectations, I am duly impressed!

I am so thrilled now. Yes, it could make the waiting time harder, but all I am really concerned about is if I will either 1) get the car before the HK FRT (First Registration Tax) exemption expires April 1st 2014 or 2) if the FRT waiver is postponed until whatever time after we can get the Tesla S (or X for those that it matters).

The FRT really doubles the price of the Tesla S, if you get it with all the extras. If nothing changes, the top end Tesla S will be like ... twice the price, overnight on April 1st, 2014. HK politicians often speak with two tongues, so let see if they are serious or not about EVs and fighting pollution.

As mentioned elsewhere ... Nissan is grossly taking advantage of the FRT exemption by overpricing the Leaf in HK - it sells at 380,000 HKD as far as I have been informed (around 50K USD!). Compare that to a low end Tesla - not knowing the prices yet, I really hope Tesla will show HK that they are serious too - by not hiking the prices in HK compared to other markets.

Thank you so much, Nick, for offering us the tour today, happy new year!

- - - Updated - - -

And one more thing: When you open the small mesh in the frunk - even I will fit inside and close the hood!

Great news glad you got your test drive :)