Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed Update Leading to Only Black Instrument Cluster (2020.12.11.5)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU1 AP1 S, update in question is 2020.12.11.5

Has anyone had repeated failed updates lead to the instrument cluster going dark (instead of the center display)?

Last week, tried a couple times via app to install the update in question. Per app, would get to 10%, and then would reset itself to the "software update available" message. The next day, the IC was blank on vehicle startup, but vehicle would still operate (shift into gear, blinkers worked). Brake+double scroll wheel reset brought the IC back.

Have a SC appt set up next week for other items so the failed update is also on the list...but the IC was blank again today. Brake+double scroll wheel brought it back again, but I'm wondering if something else is at play that could impact other items before the appt.

Has anyone experienced only the IC going dark?

Has anyone had repeated failed updates lead to the instrument cluster going dark (instead of the center display)?

Last week, tried a couple times via app to install the update in question. Per app, would get to 10%, and then would reset itself to the "software update available" message. The next day, the IC was blank on vehicle startup, but vehicle would still operate (shift into gear, blinkers worked). Brake+double scroll wheel reset brought the IC back.

Have a SC appt set up next week for other items so the failed update is also on the list...but the IC was blank again today. Brake+double scroll wheel brought it back again, but I'm wondering if something else is at play that could impact other items before the appt.

I read about someone else having a similar experience and it turned out the update had switched on the energy saving mode.
Which indeed results in IC taking a longer time to turn on.
Maybe unrelated but worth to check.

Does the IC come back, and what do you do to make it come back if it does?

I read about someone else having a similar experience and it turned out the update had switched on the energy saving mode.
Which indeed results in IC taking a longer time to turn on.
Maybe unrelated but worth to check.

Confirmed energy savings mode had remained off, but this went well beyond a slight delay - I was able to drive around my neighborhood for a few minutes and the dash never showed up.

Does the IC come back, and what do you do to make it come back if it does?

As noted in the second and third paragraphs, a brake+double scroll wheel reset brings the dash back. On the reset, the IC actually comes back in a dim state before the center screen resets, and once the T shows on main display the IC gets back to standard brightness.

The latest:

The update went through on 18May after 10+ failed installation attempts. The previous day's attempt (17May) I had managed to avoid, by keeping the car in gear at the time. I had also alerted Tesla to the issue by updating an existing service appt, and it had been passed along to the "Virtual team" per the service employee the same day as the successful installation. Either factor related? Not sure.

This is a bit of speculation. if your car 15 or 16 one has the original MCU, the repeated failures of update may be due to the emmc wearing out. The IC also has a emmc, however it's been really rare for that to fail. We have only seen 1 case to date. The MCU's eMMC is much more likely to be failing. I just replaced the one in our 2016 X and found the chip was 90% used up.

If you want I can do some troubleshooting with you over the phone.

Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen) has all the details I've collected about the issues and how to fix it.