Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fairfax County property tax appeal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arlington assessed mine at 67,074. It was also one month old.

Arlington says that it uses the Clear Loan Value from the NADA blue book as of January 1 of the relevant tax year.

Oddly, NADAguides.com doesn't give a value for the '13 Model S.

Arlington assessed mine at 67,074. It was also one month old.

Arlington says that it uses the Clear Loan Value from the NADA blue book as of January 1 of the relevant tax year.

Oddly, NADAguides.com doesn't give a value for the '13 Model S.

I just talked to Arlington. There is no NADA value for the 2013 Model S, according to the woman I talked to. As a result, what they did was take the actual purchase price of the car (i.e., with all options and NOT including the tax credit), multiply by 0.7, and use that value. Ergo, 67,040, in my case.

I just talked to Arlington. There is no NADA value for the 2013 Model S, according to the woman I talked to. As a result, what they did was take the actual purchase price of the car (i.e., with all options and NOT including the tax credit), multiply by 0.7, and use that value. Ergo, 67,040, in my case.

I think NADA has the Tesla in there now -- at least it does online. Makes me glad Fairfax doesn't include options in the calculations.

My experience is running contrary to the other Fairfax County residents posting here. I have NOT received a 2014 tax bill for my 2013 Tesla. I looked at the taxing authorities web site and I can see the proper amount for my other (non-Tesla) car, but the 2013 Tesla has no entry for 2014, and it shows a tax bill due of $0. Very strange. Ultimately, I thought it best that I call the tax office to inquire about this. I spoke with them just minutes ago. After putting me on hold for about 10 minutes, the representative came back on the line to tell me that the assessment branch has not figured out how to assess the value of the 2013 Tesla and that they are "working on it." The representative further told me that it is possible they won't get it figured out soon and my tax bill may come later with a due date of Feb 2015. I told the representative that posters in this forum from Fairfax County say they have received their bills; he questioned whether the posters might have been from other counties. Bottom line: this is very strange.

My experience is running contrary to the other Fairfax County residents posting here. I have NOT received a 2014 tax bill for my 2013 Tesla. I looked at the taxing authorities web site and I can see the proper amount for my other (non-Tesla) car, but the 2013 Tesla has no entry for 2014, and it shows a tax bill due of $0. Very strange. Ultimately, I thought it best that I call the tax office to inquire about this. I spoke with them just minutes ago. After putting me on hold for about 10 minutes, the representative came back on the line to tell me that the assessment branch has not figured out how to assess the value of the 2013 Tesla and that they are "working on it." The representative further told me that it is possible they won't get it figured out soon and my tax bill may come later with a due date of Feb 2015. I told the representative that posters in this forum from Fairfax County say they have received their bills; he questioned whether the posters might have been from other counties. Bottom line: this is very strange.

where did you see this online? I received two bills for cars, one for my MKX, one for my old Volt (although I filled out the form to advise it was sold) but not one for my Tesla that i purchased in April....

@AMPUP;

Go to Error - Epay - Fairfax County, Virginia

You will need to go through the prompts. You will be asked if you have your tax bill, and it appears that you do not have yours (just like I did not have mine). Then you will be prompted to enter your Virginia DMV customer number (your drivers license number) followed by the last four digits of your VIN. When I entered that information, the information for my other car AND my Tesla was shown. As I noted previously, my Tesla indicated a zero balance due.

@AMPUP;

Go to Error - Epay - Fairfax County, Virginia

You will need to go through the prompts. You will be asked if you have your tax bill, and it appears that you do not have yours (just like I did not have mine). Then you will be prompted to enter your Virginia DMV customer number (your drivers license number) followed by the last four digits of your VIN. When I entered that information, the information for my other car AND my Tesla was shown. As I noted previously, my Tesla indicated a zero balance due.

Thanks for the link. So this is weird, I put in my DMV number and my Tesla Vin and my other vehicles show up but my Tesla doesn't...So I went back in and put in a made up VIN and it wouldn't let me get to that page, so clearly my Tesla is registered but it doesn't show up in that list.

So I went back into my email and checked, defo registered:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for registering your vehicle with the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration. Your transaction reference number is 1164XXXX.

2013 Tesla Model S VIN: 5YJXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I think this may because of me... I've been interacting with the county for the past two weeks. There is massive confusion. I've had to send my purchase agreement to them to show the base price of the car and the way that Tesla adds the options for battery etc. I've sent them the evidence from other counties of using a 70% discount from MSRP /vs/ 90 for 2013 model year. I've also expressed that they are not properly taking into account the impact of the tax rebate on the car. This has all been escalated to a "Mr. Greenlief." I have not heard if I should pay my current tax bill or wait for a new one.

I've also added doubt to the NADA guide numbers, pointing out that NADA has been actively against TESLA in multiple states including Virginia.

Arlington has now adjusted my assessment. They sent me a copy of the NADA value for my car, from the "NADA Classic and Collectible Cars" guide --"low" retail is 63,200, so that's what they are using.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear I'm not the only one who's missing a tax bill for my Model S in Fairfax County. (My wife received her tax bill for her Honda CR-V about a month ago.) Thanks to fryfrye (for escalating this with the county, apparently now on many people's behalf) and Only Trons (for describing exactly what I saw online and for the related update from the county).

To add to the confusion, the base price when I purchased the car (April '13) without tax credit was $57,400 and that is the MSRP I am appealing to Fairfax to base my tax calculation on. Keep in mind the 40kWh was the base car then and 60kWh battery was a $10k option.

I'm thinking of just showing up at the Fairfax County Govt center one day. FryFrye you want to roll with?

Fairfax County Roadster Valuations

Here is recent correspondence I had with Fairfax County regarding the car tax on my 2011 Roadster 2.5:

Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:08 PM
Cc: DTAPPD; Neyra-Zapata, Gisella C.
Subject: RE: Car Assessment

Thank you for your e-mail. After careful research it was determined that when we received the filing the model of your 2011 Tesla was listed as a Roadster Sport. Additional research determined that it is actually a Roadster not a Roadster Sport. Therefore, the assessed value has been adjusted from 103,600 to 86,300. The adjusted amount due October 6, 2014 is $3,410.23.

If you have any further questions or need additional information please contact me directly at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Julia Leedy
Supervisor, Processing/Correspondence
Personal Property and Business License Division
Fairfax County, Department of Tax Administration

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:06 AM
To: DTAPPD
Subject: Car Assessment

I recently received a tax assessment for one of our vehicles, a 2011 Tesla, property number 14-__ ___ ___. The assessed value of $103,600 seems rather high for the vehicle based upon the NADA guide available on the internet. Could you check your sources and inform us how the value assessed to this vehicle was derived?

Thank you.

Maybe this can help someone.

So I got a reply back from Julia as well. Interestingly she stated: "To assess your 2013 Tesla we used the MSRP from the January edition of the Black Books Cars of Particular Interest (CPI) Guide."

What guide is this and is it accurate? I do not believe so.