Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fairly Major Issues this morning....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first 'real issue' we have faced with our Tesla.

This morning I pulled out of the garage as normal at 7am. First thing I notice is that I can't close the garage, so I get out and close it with the keypad on the outside of the garage and proceed to drive to work. My wife calls me a couple minutes later so I am talking to her and just driving to work, something seems odd but I continue to drive on. Then I have to make a left turn and reach over and turn my turn signal on (I know, I am the only one in S Florida that actually uses them) but it doesn't seem to be working so I try the right turn signal too, nothing. It's at that point I see the little warning light in the upper right corner of the display above the steering wheel. Hmm, no garage door opener and no turn signals, warning light is on, what else doesn't work.

At that point some water drops off some trees I drove under and I try to turn on my windshield wipers, nothing. Getting worse. Then I think, I wonder if I have tail lights or any lights at all? That answer wasn't good, I am sitting behind a car and see no headlights reflecting off their rear, I look in my rear facing camera and am not seeing any brake lights either. At this point I am past the 1/2 way point, to turn around and go home to get another car would mean about a 2 hour delay, can't do that on a Monday morning so I drive on to work. In the meantime I am calling the Dania Beach Service Center. It's like 7:20 so I don't think they are open, so I leave a message (although I've actually never spoken to anyone when calling the service center, I always have to leave a message).

I opted not to call emergency road side assistance since the car was still moving. I arrived at work safely and am waiting for Tesla to call me back to see what I need to do. I tried the scroll wheel reset 3 times but it didn't do a thing for this particular issue.

So, to be continued............

I'd try to reset the IC, not just the 17", the issues you're talking about seem more in it's realm than the 17" (17" handles media and climate (media includes the "tick-tick" sound of the signals, but not the lights themselves) while the IC seems to handle lights, wipers, etc)

I'd try to reset the IC, not just the 17", the issues you're talking about seem more in it's realm than the 17" (17" handles media and climate (media includes the "tick-tick" sound of the signals, but not the lights themselves) while the IC seems to handle lights, wipers, etc)

How do you reset the IC?

The Tesla Service Center called me back at 2:40pm (left my message at 7:17am). They requested the logs from California and are reviewing them now and said they would call me back once they had an answer. I reiterated that I was stranded if they were not able to resolve the issue, no headlights, brake lights etc. (and no wipers as it rains another 3" - 4" inches today). So hopefully something they can identify and address remotely, time will tell.

Hey, travel safe today. I'm glad you're making decisions based on safety rather than inconvenience. Besides, you really don't want someone to rear-end your beautiful car because they couldn't see your tail lights/brake lights.

- K

Yes, safety first and always! I tried all the reset options to no avail. They are towing the car and offered an Enterprise Rental, I opted for the Uber home and I'll drive one of my other cars tomorrow.

The only real disappointing part here is the timeline, issue reported at 7:17 am, I had to call again at 2:40 and the whole towing decision didn't happen until 4:15. Tow is estimated at 90 minutes away due to traffic and rain (I think this should have all happened earlier this morning, I had an undriveable car, clear that I was stranded due to the nature of the issues when I left my message this morning and this afternoon). Although, very well could be other customers with undriveable cars in worse situations than I am in right now, at least my car is in the parking garage at work and not sitting on the side of the road somewhere.

I always try to be reasonable but definitely a little disappointed with how today has gone so far. I will say, Phil at the road side assistance number was great, he called the service center to clarify everything and to take care of some things they should have done with me before passing me off. He owned the situation, the service center did not (and for that comment I won't get my car back for a month and I just moved down to last on the Ludicrous upgrade list).

Now I have to drive an ICE, I hope I remember to turn it off this time :biggrin:

Now I have to drive an ICE, I hope I remember to turn it off this time :biggrin:
Bummer on the issues. Hopefully you get your model S back quickly. Driving ICE is just not the same.

After accidentally leaving the car running, unlocked with the keys in the ignition, I make sure I go though a list in my head every time I use one of my older cars (depending on which car 3, 4, and/or 5 may not apply):

1. apply parking brake
  2. turn off car
  3. turn off headlights
  4. remove key from ignition
  5. lock car

Also, I have to make sure I don't turn on the windshield wipers when trying to put the car in gear. :)

I'm a little confused about why the car would even be allowed to move forwards if equipment that should be directly linked like the turn signals aren't working. I can understand the garage door opener, but not brake lights or any equipment essential for safety.

On a less serious side this reminds me of this joke.

There are four engineers travelling in a car; a mechanical engineer, a chemical engineer, an electrical engineer and a computer engineer. The car breaks down. “Sounds to me as if the pistons have seized. We’ll have to strip down the engine before we can get the car working again”, says the mechanical engineer. “Well”, says the chemical engineer, “it sounded to me as if the fuel might be contaminated. I think we should clear out the fuel system.” “I thought it might be an grounding problem”, says the electrical engineer, “or maybe a faulty plug lead.” They all turn to the computer engineer who has said nothing and say: “Well, what do you think?” “Ummm – perhaps if we all get out of the car and get back in again?”

I'm a little confused about why the car would even be allowed to move forwards if equipment that should be directly linked like the turn signals aren't working.

I can understand the garage door opener, but not brake lights or any equipment essential for safety.

I agree. Took me a little time to figure out the headlights and brake lights were not working. The fact that the garage door opener wasn't working didn't phase me; that's why I kept driving the Tesla. The next issue was the turn signals, that's what made me wonder about the other items on that stalk (headlights). Then of course I was like, no headlights, how about tail lights or brake lights? At that point I was 5 miles to the office, 7 miles home.

image.jpeg

Yuck. Hate to hear about any Tesla getting disabled like that. Hope they get you up and running soon. Please keep us posted.

There are four engineers travelling in a car; a mechanical engineer, a chemical engineer, an electrical engineer and a computer engineer. The car breaks down. “Sounds to me as if the pistons have seized. We’ll have to strip down the engine before we can get the car working again”, says the mechanical engineer. “Well”, says the chemical engineer, “it sounded to me as if the fuel might be contaminated. I think we should clear out the fuel system.” “I thought it might be an grounding problem”, says the electrical engineer, “or maybe a faulty plug lead.” They all turn to the computer engineer who has said nothing and say: “Well, what do you think?” “Ummm – perhaps if we all get out of the car and get back in again?”

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Hold down the two steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels until the instrument cluster reboots.

From talking to Tesla 24 hr number there are several levels of reset. The typical 10 sec reset using the scroll wheels while driving does not fully reset the touch screen. If the car is in motion some systems still stay on and for safety cannot be turned off.

The best way to reset the car is to;
1. stop the car
2. hold down the scroll wheels while also pushing on the brake.
3. Hold the scroll wheels and brake until you see the Tesla logo

I had a problem with the LTE not working and tried several reboots of both screens. Neither cleared the issue so I called Tesla and they asked me to stop and do the rest procedure a little different and it made the difference.

Tesla called me this morning and said they received the car and if they could schedule an Enterprise Rental Car for me, I said I didn't know they rented Teslas at Enterprise :eek:, never the less they said they would call me once they were able to determine what the issue/issues are but didn't think they would be able to return the car today. I fully understand that because the car hasn't moved since it was dropped off last night. Although I do understand other vehicles were there first etc.. I did call and had to leave a message as usual about perhaps having them do the LTE upgrade that is scheduled for next week while the car is already there. Saves me the 100 mile round trip, we will see what they say.

And as soon as I posted this they called. No determination as to what is wrong with the car yet but they believe it will be ready tomorrow; so sounds like something they have dealt with before perhaps. They also said they could accommodate the LTE upgrade while it is there, which is great news.

Oh, and for all the conspiracy theorists out there, this wasn't a ploy to move up my LTE upgrade by a week.

Last edited: