Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon doors override.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered my X and have seen a lot of door issue comments and I am wondering if there is a manual override if they get stuck open. I saw a video of a guy trying to get his door to close, I think airport while trying to pick someone up, and he was pretty much stuck there in the way because the door wouldn't close. He hit every button on the door and it still wouldn't close.

Just wondering.

In the early days, FWD had ultrasonic sensors underside them so they wouldn't close if someone or something was under the door. This proved to be unreliable that sometimes the door wouldn't close when it thought it sees an obstacle. Maybe the video you saw is from these times?

Anyway, Tesla did a Tesla thing and simply pushed a software update that simply disabled these sensors completely, and sensors are not even fitted in newer cars.

There's still sometimes issues in opening the door, sometimes the car sees an obstacle that isn't there. But then you can force it open from the touchscreen.

Reactions: Vladimir*22
Upvote 0
my right door is calibrated right
took it to service twice and they said they fixed it but they didnt
Half the time as it closes, it thinks something is there so the pinch sensor prevents it from closing
Doing it again works
However holding the close/open button from the inside or using the touch screen, you'll hear a BEEP and it will force open/close

Upvote 0
In the early days, FWD had ultrasonic sensors underside them so they wouldn't close if someone or something was under the door. This proved to be unreliable that sometimes the door wouldn't close when it thought it sees an obstacle. Maybe the video you saw is from these times?

Anyway, Tesla did a Tesla thing and simply pushed a software update that simply disabled these sensors completely, and sensors are not even fitted in newer cars.

There's still sometimes issues in opening the door, sometimes the car sees an obstacle that isn't there. But then you can force it open from the touchscreen.
Ummm... No... In the early days, people were getting hit in the head because there were no sensors. The sensors weren't added until mid 2017. Mine has them, but if I remember correctly, they were actually added vs being included during production. I couldn't definitively tell you whether or not they have been disabled, as I always stand clear of the door when closing so as to not trigger them, but that story sounds iffy. Opening sensors have always existed and always had problems if you look at the forums, but they're obviously not going to disable those and have doors hitting other cars. I'm not sure how widespread those issues are. Either way, they are due to direct sun heat on the outside of the doors, and I've not heard of similar problems with closing. In any case, the answer to the OP question (which was only finally answered just above this) is that it is necessary to hold the physical button or screen button until the warning beep and then most likely continue holding the selected button the whole time the door is closing at half speed via the manual override.

Upvote 0
Ummm... No... In the early days, people were getting hit in the head because there were no sensors. The sensors weren't added until mid 2017. Mine has them, but if I remember correctly, they were actually added vs being included during production. I couldn't definitively tell you whether or not they have been disabled, as I always stand clear of the door when closing so as to not trigger them, but that story sounds iffy. Opening sensors have always existed and always had problems if you look at the forums, but they're obviously not going to disable those and have doors hitting other cars. I'm not sure how widespread those issues are. Either way, they are due to direct sun heat on the outside of the doors, and I've not heard of similar problems with closing. In any case, the answer to the OP question (which was only finally answered just above this) is that it is necessary to hold the physical button or screen button until the warning beep and then most likely continue holding the selected button the whole time the door is closing at half speed via the manual override.

Turns out we are both correct.

Some screenshots from Tesla Service FWD inner trim removal

1680086213505.png

1680086238486.png

But then, in a a separate page about ultrasonic sensors:

1680086289876.png

So 2016 cars had downwards sensing sensors in the UPPER part of FWD, on the ceiling. Those sucked and were disabled in software. Then in September 2017 they added new sensors to the speaker grille, which is the lowest part of the door..

I have a 2016 car and I can confirm that it will hit you in the head if you are standing under it while it closes. :) But it notices it end retracts (by pinch sensor?), it doesn't bump you very hard.

There was some media coverage in 2016 when the sensors were disabled:

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym
Upvote 0
Well whatever they have now (2022 MX) doesn't work. Shortly after getting our MX I took my parents out to dinner. I thought everyone was clear and I pressed the top of the fob to close all the doors. Unknown to me my Mother was still standing in the doorway and the FWD came down onto her head. It stopped when it hit her and didn't cause any injuries (I now know to make sure everyone is well clear before I click the lock button) but the sensors clearly aren't doing what they say they do.

Upvote 0
Well whatever they have now (2022 MX) doesn't work. Shortly after getting our MX I took my parents out to dinner. I thought everyone was clear and I pressed the top of the fob to close all the doors. Unknown to me my Mother was still standing in the doorway and the FWD came down onto her head. It stopped when it hit her and didn't cause any injuries (I now know to make sure everyone is well clear before I click the lock button) but the sensors clearly aren't doing what they say they do.

Yeah my son hit me in the head with a FWD as well. I think I'm going to do some testing and see what the doors actually recognize

Upvote 0
There isn't a manual override but there is an override on the main screen. If you press and hold the open or close icon it will open or close as long as you hold the button.
Hi there, how can I remove that override on the screen if I want to put it back to original setup? It appears when I accidentally press the touch screen and my son also pressing the open button by the passenger of falcon door repeatedly then that overrides appear. Now I can’t do single touch/press to open the falcon door right away. Pls advice thx

Upvote 0
2019 Raven. I know this isn’t the same issue as being discussed but I thought I’d throw it out there as it is related to FWDs not closing.

Recently I was parked on a very steep hill. After retrieving my granddaughter from her car seat, the FWD wouldn’t close and the long press override didn’t work either. I noticed a pop up message on the center console. It said I needed to calibrate the door and led me thru the process. A couple of minutes later it finished, closed and hasn’t repeated since (but I haven’t been parked on a hill like that either).

Upvote 0