Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - 7&8 Reuse - Elon's Roadster Demo - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest video has been corrected to show the correct feed in the lower rigt frame. You can by the date/time-stamp (missong on the original). It's also obvoius during landing that the landing pods are different. The original (live) was incorrect.
Thanks, I just watched it again and you are right, my apologies. This time, from the very start of the webcast showing the feed from the side boosters, I could clearly see they were in fact different feeds whereas in the original webcast they looked oddly identical. I was just taking the webcasts hosts word that they were not the same.

Super exciting to watch the webcast all over again! I loved the way that they kept the audio feed from the crowd outside Hawthorne Mission Control throughout the webcast. Great to see and hear the employees so hyped up! In recent F9 missions they often have not included any shots of the employees gathering outside the MC, and I missed that.

Last edited:
Please tell me if I’ve got this right: the reason for the center core recovery failure was that 2 of the 3 engines did not re-light for the re-entry burn because there was not enough TEA/TEB left to light them up. So and the core was lost. The core hit OCISLY at about 300mph and disintegrated, taking out two of the droneships four engines. Elon said if they are able to recover any video footage of the landing from the droneships onboard cameras they will post it.

I can’t tell when they were planning on using OCISLY again. It is going to need major repairs! I want to see video of the impact.

So why did the center core run out of TEA/TEB? It was doing the usual number of engine starts for an ASDS recovery, I would assume.

Please tell me if I’ve got this right: the reason for the center core recovery failure was that 2 of the 3 engines did not re-light for the re-entry burn because there was not enough TEA/TEB left to light them up. So and the core was lost. The core hit OCISLY at about 300mph and disintegrated, taking out two of the droneships four engines. Elon said if they are able to recover any video footage of the landing from the droneships onboard cameras they will post it.

I can’t tell when they were planning on using OCISLY again. It is going to need major repairs! I want to see video of the impact.

So why did the center core run out of TEA/TEB? It was doing the usual number of engine starts for an ASDS recovery, I would assume.

The center core of FH is different from a standard F9 core, quite different. Presumably, there was an error, or something didn’t work correctly on this center core, which is the first time they’ve run a center core.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux

Random speculation: either the speed caused the engines to be hard to start thus taking longer/ more TEA/TEB, or their wasn't enough loaded, a leak reduced quantity available, or it was contaminated with oxygen.

Note: link is from 2013. Not related to FH.

Did it hit OCISLY or did it hit the water near OCISLY and damage it due to the explosion?

The center core of FH is different from a standard F9 core, quite different. Presumably, there was an error, or something didn’t work correctly on this center core, which is the first time they’ve run a center core.

It's also only the 3rd attempt at a landing with a 3-engine burn. 1st one failed, 2nd one succeeded (most recent Falcon 9 launch) and this one failed.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux and jkn
Screenshot_20180207-090950.png

Did it hit OCISLY or did it hit the water near OCISLY and damage it due to the explosion?
In the post launch press conference, Elon said that the information he had at that moment — which he emphasized could be incorrect — was that the stage hit the water about 100 meters from OCISLY at about 500kmh and fragments of the disintegrating rocket hit it and caused the damage.

He said if they can recover any video from the OCISLY onboard cameras they will make it public. But it will be many days before they know if there is any video.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g
The latest video (
) has been corrected to show the correct feed in the lower rigt frame. You can by the date/time-stamp (missong on the original). It's also obvoius during landing that the landing pods are different. The original (live) was incorrect. Access the video from Falcon Heavy Test Flight | SpaceX.
Just to confuse things further. :) But I'm glad they updated the video to insert the correct feed for the other booster.

He said if they can recover any video from the OCISLY onboard cameras they will make it public.
There's likely no rush to release any possible video of the center core impact. I'll bet it gets stored for a future blooper montage. I'm okay with that. The media coverage yesterday was 100% favorable, in some cases almost giddy about the performance of the FH. For the the most part the fair weather Space fans I spoke with yesterday loved describing the indelible image of the dual boosters touching down. That's positive and sticky. They had no clue about the fate of the center core. Release the video now and jerks like Shelby from Alabama will say something stupid again about SpaceX, while making sure to tout his wonderfully disposable ULA rockets.

Reactions: StephenM
Random speculation: either the speed caused the engines to be hard to start thus taking longer/ more TEA/TEB, or their wasn't enough loaded, a leak reduced quantity available, or it was contaminated with oxygen.

Note: link is from 2013. Not related to FH.

The TEA/TEB boiled off into space because the center stage went higher than any prior falcon 9 first stage. New scenario never been done before something happened they hadn't planned for.

Late edit from dhanson865: The info in this comment is in error. It is corrected and the proper data is later in this thread. So read further on for corrected information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this bad or
better than expected?
Weird! Your message claims to quote mine, but quotes ccutrer's message. (406)

I thought Roadster's orbit would stay between orbits of Mars and Earth to avoid risk of collision. They avoid that by tilting orbit. I guess they don't need to prove their aim. Success of the launch is very good, but that orbit is neutral.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Weird, would have expected the container to be pressurized/ sealed. How much lower was the pressure than typical? Or was it due to time?

I don't know, it was just an additional possible answer. We aren't sure if they didn't load enough because it burned more than expected, or if it boiled away, or if it froze and wasn't available to use.

I'm sure we'll get the answer eventually but I'm holding onto the boiled away hypothesis until I hear otherwise.

I don't know, it was just an additional possible answer. We aren't sure if they didn't load enough because it burned more than expected, or if it boiled away, or if it froze and wasn't available to use.

I'm sure we'll get the answer eventually but I'm holding onto the boiled away hypothesis until I hear otherwise.

Oh, ok. I thought you had heard the answer.
I was confused how that could be since the 2nd stage can relight after 6hrs in space and the TEA TEB has to be sealed from the atmosphere.

Reactions: Grendal