Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news on the heavy launch date?

So I'll answer this one here. FH will happen a little less than 2 months after the first launch from SLC-40 happens. So SLC-40 has to finish repairs, which should be a couple more months, then the team repairing 40 can move back over to 39A and complete the infrastructure needed to launch FH. So on Elon time FH will launch in July-August but under realistic working their butts off time it's more like September-October.

At this point it is all about the infrastructure and a launch window. Two cores have been test fired at McGregor. The final side booster is in Florida waiting to go to McGregor for its test firing. It probably would have already happened if it was needed anytime soon.

LC40 return to action is now NET August. So best case FH launch is October.
Apparently SLC40 work is a bit more than originally estimated.
Perhaps some more upgrades to make LC40 as productive as LC39A.
And the well known Elon time dilation !
The pessimists already place FH launch on 2018. I still think its in 2017, but likely Nov/Dec.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Grendal
To help those who are not familiar with the KSC launch sites that SpaceX uses, I found this photo. 39A is the site that the Apollo missions (almost all of them) and all the shuttle missions launched from. SpaceX is currently launching from the F9 from it and will be launching the FH from it after some additional modifications, as @Grendal explained. SLC-40 is a site SpaceX was launching from until last year when an F9 exploded on the pad during fueling (before launch). So that pad is currently being repaired. Supposedly repairs are almost complete, just a few more months.

spacex-hurricane-matthew-cape-canaveral-building-damage-map.png

To help those who are not familiar with the KSC launch sites that SpaceX uses, I found this photo. 39A is the site that the Apollo missions (almost all of them) and all the shuttle missions launched from. SpaceX is currently launching from the F9 from it and will be launching the FH from it after some additional modifications, as @Grendal explained. SLC-40 is a site SpaceX was launching from until last year when an F9 exploded on the pad during fueling (before launch). So that pad is currently being repaired. Supposedly repairs are almost complete, just a few more months.
Which launchpad will be used for the three nearly simultaneous landings FH boosters?

spacex_ccafslc13_landingpad01-lg.jpg

Here is what the landing pads at LZ-1 (formerly LC-13) will eventually look like. With a possibility of three boosters landing there simultaneously. The main pad is already there and has already been used multiple times. I expect SpaceX to only focus on one other pad before the first FH launch since we know they will try for the boosters to RTLS while the central core will try for an ASDS landing.

LC-1.png

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and Ulmo

Minor correction - 39B hosted shuttle flights, as well as 39A. My 5 minutes of skimming wikipedia doesn't have a count of how many from each, but they definitely were not exclusive to 39A. IIRC, for every shuttle launched off of one pad, the other pad (and a shuttle) were on alert for a rescue mission launch.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and Ulmo
Fixated by those 16 seconds again..........static fire test of FH.
I keep watching it over and over. Getting closer.
Just wonder if it's only me, but no sound? I was expecting my subwoofer be shaking my home!
I would be interested to look at the way the rocket is hold in place and doesn't take off....
I cannot wait for the FH 27 boosters fired up all together at the same time!

Last edited:
In the 6/22/2017 Space Show radio program at http://www.thespaceshow.com/file/7663/download?token=0hnS0L2y Gywnne Shotwell said that the FH will fly definitely this year and the KSC pad that is being repaired after the F9 loss last year is almost ready. She said that the FH new center core and one side core that is flight proven are at the Cape and the other side core is at McGregor for testing.