Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LEO isn't what you have to worry about. Objects in LEO are required to deorbit in 25 years, and many do that passively. Its the higher orbits that will lead to the WALL-E scenario.

That said, we're already working on in-orbit refueling, repair, and repurposing, because its becoming financially viable to extend the life of an on-orbit asset versus replacing with a new asset. We're already working on solutions to mitigate the impact to mega-constellations when assets are no longer useful/controllable, because its a Bad Deal to have a dead spacecraft clogging up your constellation. SpaceX is already reusing launch vehicles, setting the precedent of less debris and more importantly driving down the cost of space.

Its very reasonable to expect one of the next evolutionary steps in space will be clean up/disposal of existing orbiting entities. It may disappoint to know that motivation will be financial, but that's the reality of human civilization right now. When we see demand for (or threats to) orbital positions converge with inexpensive space access, we'll start hucking up 'Coroner' spacecraft to make sure the mess we've made doesn't impact future quarterly returns. And that convergence is coming faster than one might think.

Regarding debris beyond earth orbit, like it or not there is again a financial aspect that lines up almost perfectly well with the concept of minimal debris. It costs a LOT of money to send stuff beyond earth orbit, and for the foreseeable future such missions are going to minimize material and maximize reuse/repurposing/recycling. In fact, just as the space industry has been a technology catalyst in the past, R&D into R/R/R for extraterrestrial environments will accelerate similar concepts here on Earth. So...not only will your concern for space debris be mitigated, the very thing you're worried about will actually result in a cleaner world back home.
In case it needs clarification, I wasn't proposing to leave anything in orbit for a long period. But a day or a week before deorbiting would be fine, I'm sure.

Its very reasonable to expect one of the next evolutionary steps in space will be clean up/disposal of existing orbiting entities. It may disappoint to know that motivation will be financial, but that's the reality of human civilization right now. When we see demand for (or threats to) orbital positions converge with inexpensive space access, we'll start hucking up 'Coroner' spacecraft to make sure the mess we've made doesn't impact future quarterly returns. And that convergence is coming faster than one might think.
I've always wanted a spacecraft that goes around cleaning the space junk. I don't know: I like things to be clean. First, though, I'd like it to be paid for; I'd only clean items that the owners paid for the cleaning of. Eventually, damaged spacecraft would sue the owners of uncleaned items, and eventually, somebody would find a way to pay me. Substitute anyone competent for "me".

Reactions: alseTrick
C88A5tWXkAAdCB1.jpg

Whoa! Is that an FH side stage? I think it is...
That's exactly what it is. SpaceX is prepping for the big FH flight in summertime. Thaicom 8 is known to be one of the side boosters. JCSAT 14 was the booster that did about 12 full burns to test durability and is only for testing. So that leaves JCSAT 16 (since it was a GTO landing) as another side booster. I very recently heard someone reasonably knowledgeable say that the modified center core is also a returned booster. If so, then I'd go with CRS-9 for the core. That was an RTLS in spectacular shape.

That still leaves the two more sitting around, Iridium Next on the West Coast and CRS-10, for future re-launches. I expect one of them to be the very first to do a third reuse flight, maybe. It will all depend on when the Block 5 boosters start to fly.

Falcon Heavy is now in the very early stages of launch. Two weeks ago one of the side boosters was up and test fired in McGregor as seen in the picture above. This week it was believed the FH center core was spotted on a truck in Arizona headed for McGregor, Texas. I think the other booster has also been seen. So that is all of FH built and moving around. It will have to sit around until SLC-40 is back up and running. I count about 7 or 8 F9 launches that should happen before FH takes flight. I expect to see one successful launch out of SLC-40 and then we'll see FH out of LC-39A.

ecarfan That core you just missed in Hawthorne was very likely the FH center core. The timing and location was correct for that to be it.

Falcon Heavy is now in the very early stages of launch. Two weeks ago one of the side boosters was up and test fired in McGregor as seen in the picture above. This week it was believed the FH center core was spotted on a truck in Arizona headed for McGregor, Texas. I think the other booster has also been seen. So that is all of FH built and moving around. It will have to sit around until SLC-40 is back up and running. I count about 7 or 8 F9 launches that should happen before FH takes flight. I expect to see one successful launch out of SLC-40 and then we'll see FH out of LC-39A.

ecarfan That core you just missed in Hawthorne was very likely the FH center core. The timing and location was correct for that to be it.

SpaceFlightNow shows 9 SpaceX launches lined up through July. I would love to see most or all of these launch about when planned, but that is one thing SpaceX has never been able to manage. They do well with what they control, there are just too many delay causes out of their control. Have they said when SLC-40 resumes operation? They are playing catchup with customers of these 9 launches, so if delays start snowballing they may have to push first FH launch into Fall.

The thing is, SLC-40 reconstruction is one of the things that is under their control. Other things like payloads being ready and docking windows at the space station are things they really have to work around. This is why they really need both pads in Florida, Vandenburg and the Texas site to be up and running. Achieving their desired cadence really requires all of them.

Reactions: Grendal
SpaceFlightNow shows 9 SpaceX launches lined up through July. I would love to see most or all of these launch about when planned, but that is one thing SpaceX has never been able to manage. They do well with what they control, there are just too many delay causes out of their control. Have they said when SLC-40 resumes operation? They are playing catchup with customers of these 9 launches, so if delays start snowballing they may have to push first FH launch into Fall.

Elon has said late summer. So the current thinking among enthusiasts and insiders is sometime in August. It could change and be quicker if more assets and energy is put into it. The reality is that the rocket appears close to ready. In fact here is a picture of the FH core on the test stand at McGregor:

FHeavy.jpg

So how cool is that?

Here are the other cores that we are aware of and where they are currently located:

1032 - NROL-76 - at the Cape being processed to fly - launches April 30th-ish

1033 - FH center core, now being tested in McGregor

1034 - Inmarsat-5 - at the Cape being processed to fly - launches mid-May

1035 - CRS11 - just arrived at the Cape at the LC39-A HIF - launches late May

So three cores are at the Cape in various stages of readiness.

Last edited:

The FH launch will slip into the fall.

Once LC-40 is back in operation (August Hopefully) there is about 60-days worth of work at a minimum that needs to be done at LC39A to make it ready for FH. In order to support the FH at LC39A, work on the Tail Service Masts at LC39A need to be completed to support fueling and the support connections for the two side boosters for the FH. This work was not completed when LC39A was made operational for single stick F9 launches(Since it wasn't needed), in order to get the pad operational as quickly as possible.

Falcon Heavy build up begins; SLC-40 pad rebuild progressing well | NASASpaceFlight.com

I've always wanted a spacecraft that goes around cleaning the space junk. I don't know: I like things to be clean. First, though, I'd like it to be paid for; I'd only clean items that the owners paid for the cleaning of. Eventually, damaged spacecraft would sue the owners of uncleaned items, and eventually, somebody would find a way to pay me. Substitute anyone competent for "me".

I'd like that too. But it won't happen until we've got some vessel going around cleaning the ocean junk from our seas.

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140