Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False Information: Tesla Admits It Still Hasn't Completed A Model 3 Beta Prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No sky is not falling, but I'm sure you would agree that not having part 3 by now and not seeing even one picture of the final design is worrisome. I think the stock is reacting same way.
I do not agree. And TSLA price trends mean little to me (and I am an investor) as they are driven by unfounded rumors, shorts, and general ignorance.

I've already read as much of this thread as I care to but the new title suggested to me just the opposite of your intention.

I thought it meant that Tesla is redacting prior information of having a beta prototype.

Perhaps "Blog Zerohedge publishes Fake News re: Absence of Tesla Model 3 Prototype."
I see what you mean. Perhaps adding a "that" could be a simple fix for clarification without having to do a major overhaul of the title: "False Information that Tesla Admits..."

Reactions: SageBrush
As for not seeing final product. You don't see Apple hardware until you have about 1 month to go get it at their store or on line.
So, if Tesla opened up configs July 1st- they'd be early in reality if it were only 1 month wait.
If they unveil it June 2nd or 4th that would be right on time. Same day as employees start getting theirs.
Show them handing out FOBs just like model X unveil.

from: Tesla Admits It Still Hasn't Completed A Model 3 Beta Prototype | Zero Hedge

Excerpts Below…

…buried deep within the company's most recent 10-K filing is an admission that there is still no Model 3 beta prototype.

…However, with production due to begin in H2 2017 (just 4 months away) and delivery in 2018, doubts are starting to appear

…Wahlman points out, Tesla has not “completed” a Model 3 “beta prototype” as of, well, either of these two dates: December 31, 2016 (the period that the SEC filing covers), or March 1, 2017 (the date on which the document was filed)

Tesla could indeed deliver a Model 3 in July 2017 and declare victory. However, that is not to be confused with what a normal car company would call its start of sales to the general public.

…More smoke and solar panel mirrors?

…If the economics don't work with $80k cars, how will they work with $30k cars?
How did they do a crash test on betas if there are no betas built?

The did some testings on this beta-candidates, among them crash test. If all tests are positive - live up to the expectations of the board of directors - it will be defined as a beta build, if not, fix and repeat.

Is that what you surmise, or do you have some reference to that being the official process?

I ask because, the Tesla kids are using the typical Silicon Valley terminology for phases of development wherein:

• Alpha: Builds have not yet implemented all planned features or features subject to significant change such as addition/removal. (The Model 3 interior from the demo event would be an example)

• Beta: All planned features implemented, and subject to testing/revision. (Likely example would be crash test mules, and small fleet designed for actual road testing)

• Release Candidate (RC): All systems tested and (major) bugs worked out. Upon successful completion of test, may become Gold Master (I'm not sure I've seen Tesla use this term)

• Gold Master: Completed "final" product used as basis for production (I'm not sure I've seen Tesla use this term)

As the first 3 items are phases of production there will be more than one article built. It would thus be weird to call out a specific vehicle after the fact and call it "the beta". More likely is any car built during the "feature complete, now testing" phase is considered a beta car, although the first of which might be called out for specific milestone reasons.

Is that what you surmise, or do you have some reference to that being the official process?

I ask because, the Tesla kids are using the typical Silicon Valley terminology for phases of development wherein:

• Alpha: Builds have not yet implemented all planned features or features subject to significant change such as addition/removal. (The Model 3 interior from the demo event would be an example)

• Beta: All planned features implemented, and subject to testing/revision. (Likely example would be crash test mules, and small fleet designed for actual road testing)

• Release Candidate (RC): All systems tested and (major) bugs worked out. Upon successful completion of test, may become Gold Master (I'm not sure I've seen Tesla use this term)

• Gold Master: Completed "final" product used as basis for production (I'm not sure I've seen Tesla use this term)

As the first 3 items are phases of production there will be more than one article built. It would thus be weird to call out a specific vehicle after the fact and call it "the beta". More likely is any car built during the "feature complete, now testing" phase is considered a beta car, although the first of which might be called out for specific milestone reasons.
If you read the SEC filing, for the purposes of the board, they will pick from the prototypes the first vehicle that is considered a "beta prototype" by their standards and that sets the milestone. They aren't talking about general industry terminology.

This is my conclusion based on the information that Tesla has given.
- they have now build some cars that are been tested, among the test is the crash test (that is as you say normally done with the beta cars).
- this cars have not yet been officially accepted as "beta builds" from the board of directors (indicating that the may get that acceptance sometime after the filling - or not).
- this is an ongoing process.

It would thus be weird to call out a specific vehicle after the fact and call it "the beta".
No, this is an misunderstanding. If this build series get the approval of the board of directors, the hole series - and any cars produces later in the same series (identical builds) - would be labeled "beta cars".

Reactions: Red Sage
If you read the SEC filing, for the purposes of the board, they will pick from the prototypes the first vehicle that is considered a "beta prototype" by their standards and that sets the milestone. They aren't talking about general industry terminology.
Ah OK, so there is a single milestone car, it's just not the initial one for that phase.

Ok, cool thanks.

Reactions: Red Sage
How did they do a crash test on betas if there are no betas built?

So is this the first M3 crash test on record?

The reason I'm asking is because if there has already been a crash test on the Alpha M3 - then why would there have to be a crash test on the Beta M3 - If nothing has changed concerning the car?
Just because crash tests are normally done on the betas doesn't mean that they are only done on the betas. Maybe the betas are the only ones that they'll certify? Besides, if their producing a bunch or prototypes and they have nothing else to do with them, why not crash test one or more of them? They would have nothing to lose and everything to gain from doing so.

I have changed the title on the thread, starting with "False Information".

Latest filing, and I quote: "In early February, we began building Model 3 prototypes"

It hasn't been proven that Tesla has made finished beta prototypes. The 2016 Q4 earnings call said they are having a holdup with a dye for the seat frame (http://seekingalpha.com/article/404...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single). If one beta part is missing it is not a finished beta prototype.

This isn't a court of law, and the misleading title is click-bait.

"Beta" is an arbitrary distinction, and has largely lost its meaning by inconsistent use. They're building prototypes, period. That's the information that matters re the title of this thread.

Beta isn't arbitrary and has a definition that is 100% known to Tesla. The title clearly says beta and that part has not been proven false. The recent video of a Model 3 is an alpha car (Tesla tests Model 3 in traffic, or at least heads to lunch) but I would be surprised if it didn't have a few beta parts on it for testing.

Chevy had a pre-production Bolt run down the assembly in March 2016 and didn't deliver to customers until December 2016. We will see how much Tesla can improve on that.

Reactions: mmd