Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False Information: Tesla Admits It Still Hasn't Completed A Model 3 Beta Prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people would say something similar about CNN/MSNBC/New York Times... etc..

tenor.gif

"Tesla Admits It Still Hasn't Completed A Model 3 Beta Prototype"
-Clickbait/Fake News....sad!

Here is what's important about the Model 3:

1. 400,000 pre-order deposits (and they stopped updating this number, so as 'not to make the line longer', i.e. the number is bigger than this and they don't want new customers intimidated with a longer wait time.)

2. Margins will be healthy, even with the base model

3. Everyone wants one, it'll be hard to get one. Production constrained for a long time.

Everything else "published" between now and release is meaningless bluster.

It would be perfectly within expectations if production does not start in July since July has always been a goal for the suppliers.

I would imagine that July would also be the due date for the beta to conclude (if all suppliers deliver).

Tesla could indeed deliver a Model 3 in July 2017 and declare victory. However, that is not to be confused with what a normal car company would call its start of sales to the general public.
Well, others have taken apart most of what was written but no one seems to have mentioned this: Tesla has not said it will deliver any Model 3 in July, and that is not necessary to "declare victory". All Tesla has said is that they will try to start production in July, and starts to deliver cars "late 2017", and that is all that they need to do to "declare victory". Yes, I do think they will start to deliver cars shortly after production upstart, but not to "the general public" as we know that employees get their cars first. As I see it, the first possible car deliveries to "the general public" could be in Sept. or Oct. - and that is still more then enough to "declare victory".

On yahoo finance message bd yesterday after close (it was quickly removed-about 3 min after posting-does Tesla want to keep that hush hush???)-someone posted that tesla opened the ordering process for employees noon yesterday. Sort of makes sense to get lead time on who wants what to order all that is needed for those orders. 4 months lead time.
I'd expect about the same amount of lead time for pre unveiled orders too. Might we see those in orders open in June? That'd be so nice.

On yahoo finance message bd yesterday after close (it was quickly removed-about 3 min after posting-does Tesla want to keep that hush hush???)-someone posted that tesla opened the ordering process for employees noon yesterday. Sort of makes sense to get lead time on who wants what to order all that is needed for those orders. 4 months lead time.
I'd expect about the same amount of lead time for pre unveiled orders too. Might we see those in orders open in June? That'd be so nice.

Well, it might line up. There is the Instagram video from yesterday, with the Model 3 sighting in Hawthorne with a few people relaxing inside.

Maybe they drove the Model 3 from Fremont (San Francisco) to Hawthorne (LA) so that the Hawthorne employees customizing their orders could take a look at the real thing.

I can see the email: "Ordering opens Monday at 12pm; limited test drives available at Hawthorne offices".

Maybe they drove the Model 3 from Fremont (San Francisco) to Hawthorne (LA) so that the Hawthorne employees customizing their orders could take a look at the real thing

i did see a small, car under covers at the burbank SC on march 7th. there was a strong edge going from where the headlights would be and a very model 3 hood-bumper transition. picture is not worth posting.

OK......

we love to fling things at the wall here and see what sticks......

but employees being able to order round now lines up with them being able to reserve before the public last year around this time.

What if......

maybe...

(but not likely)

"July" has been a red herring all along, and we get a surprise event at the end of this month.

**Ducking to avoid everything being thrown at me right now**

:cool:

Maybe they drove the Model 3 from Fremont (San Francisco) to Hawthorne (LA) so that the Hawthorne employees customizing their orders could take a look at the real thing.
There was a brief video of the silver Model 3 prototype posted on Instragram yesterday and mentioned in the Model 3 mules thread this morning. But that's just the prototype, it's not even a beta production car. I don't see how looking at that car would help anyone decide what options to order.

It is of course possible that the silver Model 3 is a newly completed beta production car. But it appears to be the silver prototype.

There was a brief video of the silver Model 3 prototype posted on Instragram yesterday and mentioned in the Model 3 mules thread this morning. But that's just the prototype, it's not even a beta production car. I don't see how looking at that car would help anyone decide what options to order.

It is of course possible that the silver Model 3 is a newly completed beta production car. But it appears to be the silver prototype.

Unless something changed under the hood, I'm very confident that this is just the silver alpha prototype. If you freeze-frame the higher-quality Facebook video, you can verify that the exterior lines are the same as at the reveal, and that it has the same bare interior. It even has the "Model 3" mock license plate on the back, so it couldn't have been going far.

Guys, read the 10K, it is As of December 31, 2016. It does not include any period after.
Pursuant to Rule 12b-20 of the Exchange Act, Tesla would have to update the information disclosed in the 10-K for periods after the report date if the information without the update would be deemed to be misleading. There are materiality thresholds, of course, and a good argument can be made that the status of a beta prototype is not material, but if I were securities law counsel for Tesla and I was told that the statement in the 10-K is not accurate as of the filing date, I would encourage the issuer to provide updated information for the stub period. And I am securities law counsel for many public companies.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maximilien and mmd
There was a brief video of the silver Model 3 prototype posted on Instragram yesrday and mentioned in the Model 3 mules thread this morning. But that's just the prototype, it's not even a beta production car. I don't see how looking at that car would help anyone decide what options to order.

Right! That's the video I was referencing. I don't think it's necessarily to "help them decide" what to order, but I can see it as a nice bonus. Maybe they don't get to see a lot of prototypes cars at Hawthrone, unlike the peeps at Fremont.

Unless something changed under the hood, I'm very confident that this is just the silver alpha prototype. If you freeze-frame the higher-quality Facebook video, you can verify that the exterior lines are the same as at the reveal, and that it has the same bare interior. It even has the "Model 3" mock license plate on the back, so it couldn't have been going far.

Damn, the license plate. I hadn't thought about that. I had wondered earlier if they had snuck it into a car trailer with a covering. Or, they have proper plates for it, too, but for this private ride, they slipped the show plates on.

Or, even still, maybe the person on Yahoo's message boards was just yanking our chain.

I don't know, I am getting a second thought about M3, I'm not sure how can tesla put a reliable car on the market in four months without doing proper testing. I reserved my M3 on April 4th 2016 and I might cancel the reservation just because we don't see any evidence of M3 being tested.
We should have part 3 by now and see what the inside would look like, but we have no idea and that's what is making me feel like there is a problem or uncertainty.
Also, there might be a problem getting our money back if Tesla goes bankrupt.
What do you guys think??