Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Family-Proofing the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to pull the trigger and purchase a Model 3 (still deciding between purchasing early 2018 used, or new...).
I really, really want the Model X, but alas -- my husband has vetoed that one over and over again, even the used ones.
Our compromise is a Model 3. The catch is that I have two kids that I am the primary transporter for -- a toddler (19 months) and a newborn (6 weeks). This means two rear-facing carseats in the back, and a toddler who likes to stomp his feet on the seat.

Would love any sleek product recommendations for keeping the black seats nice (or maybe they are so great that I can just wipe off any dirty shoe marks?), and something not-ugly to organize my survival things (aka board books and a couple small toys).

Yes, I am totally trying to be hip and cool along with the reality that this will be my family car until the Model X either drops in price or we win the lottery. Let's call this "leaning in."

Have your husband reach out to me and we'll get you in a Model X (the ULTIMATE family car). We have over 37,000 trouble-free, family friendly, kids love it miles on that car. Three kids, all in car seats 5yrs, 3.5yrs, and 19mos.

Otherwise, you just need the seat protectors - Brica Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector
That should be it. For organization there is plenty of floor space behind rear facing seats for a little box organizer or duffle bag full of books/toys for the car. GOOD LUCK!

EDIT: I should mention the white seats are treated with a stain protectant from the factory and are actually the easiest to wipe clean per direct Twitter quote from Elon himself.

We did the 100% kid-proof strategy!!!!

We waited till AAAAALLLL 6 were gone out of the house ... and then we got TWO 3s.. ahhhhhh no soccer balls... fruit roll ups... Legos...stinky socks... Lacrosse sticks... volleyballs.. softballs.. orthodontic rubber bands!!!!!....lipgloss.. juice boxes .... (but I do confess I have some licorice hiding in the glovebox:)

Good luck Tesla owners with the little tykes!

Three kids six and under all in car seats in the 3.

Have the Prince Lionheart seat savers that are two pieces. One for under the base and another for the back of the seat they can kick.

https://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-Stage-Seatsaver-Gray/dp/B0001WAO9O

Plenty of room on the floor in the back or with two car seats in between them for a good organizer. We use a thirty-one bag or basket at different times for toys drinks and books. So many choices out there, that will be personal preference.

We have a Rola Cargo Organizer (large) for our Model S's lower trunk area that we love. I loved it so much that I ordered one for my Model 3 although it doesn't fit in the Model 3's lower trunk, nor as I understand it does the small version either. However, it's a great organizer, extremely well made (USA too) and collapses flat with very little effort and works well in the upper cargo area. It can stay flat and not take up much space until you need it for groceries, storing other things. Might still be a solution for you depending on your usage. Here a video of the larger organizer.

To protect the paint from little feet, we also got these for the rear door sills: Rear Door Sill Scuff Kick Plate

We already had PPF on the rear door sills. We purchased one set from RPM Tesla for the first car, but for the second one, we just cut a rectangular piece of PPF ourselves. Since we already have the PPF installed, we just put the door sill plates on top of the PPF.

To protect the paint from little feet, we also got these for the rear door sills: Rear Door Sill Scuff Kick Plate

We already had PPF on the rear door sills. We purchased one set from RPM Tesla for the first car, but for the second one, we just cut a rectangular piece of PPF ourselves. Since we already have the PPF installed, we just put the door sill plates on top of the PPF.

What's PPF? o_O