Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Future event made me crave another Tesla reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless it was founded in January 2009, it's been around less than 8 years.
I can't do maths properly when, in my head, I live in the future. In a time where the Model 3 is at full production and there is peace in the world. Rainbows and Unicorns.

Rivian has been around since a year after the first Tesla Roadsters were delivered.

So far Lucid has produced nothing but air ... <- see what I did there ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
It is possible to go back to more of the era of coach building. Perhaps someone like LG provides the rolling chassis and other necessary work that goes into each car and then individual smaller companies provide the seats/body/etc... This would mean the mechanical bits are shared between cars and warrantied by LG.

Frankly if LG or Samsung came out with a car I wouldn't touch it. I or close friends have had too many run ins with their appliances to ever touch them again.

I can't do maths properly when, in my head, I live in the future. In a time where the Model 3 is at full production and there is peace in the world. Rainbows and Unicorns.

Rivian has been around since a year after the first Tesla Roadsters were delivered.

So far Lucid has produced nothing but air ... <- see what I did there ;)

So it took 9 years to go from founding to the S. Let's see if Lucid and Rivian can get their car out in the next couple years.

Really? I might be mis-remembering, but I thought GM said they planned to sell 30,000 Bolts per year. I really would be surprised if 30,000 Model 3's get built and delivered in 2017.
As the Friendly Neighborhood Over-the-Top Optimistic Tesla Motors Certified Apologist Fanboy here, I would recommend you prepare to be surprised. Even if Tesla were to Deliver only 40% of Elon's stated goal of 100,000 to 200,000 units during 2017 they would blow away 30,000. It truly astounds me that so many expect Tesla to miss that by no less than 96% instead. It is absolutely imperative that the Model ☰ begin reaching end users in the public by the first week or so of October 2017. If you presume those Deliveries would be for cars configured as much as a month earlier, even if Production began at a practically slothful 2,000 units per week during September, that would be 24,000 units built before Christmas -- not including Deliveries to employees. I expect Production to begin at no less than 4,000 units per week and ramp up rather quickly to between 8,000 and 10,000 units per week.

Reactions: melindav
In many ways I feel sorry for FF. After all, they are on our side promoting EVs.

However, I don't subscribe to the notion that Tesla's highest performing production car has to be challenged with an unproven pre-production design to get noticed. Competition is tough but IMO there is enough room in the EV marketplace for many players, all that is required is well thought of, appealing products that people actually will yearn to buy. The whole Tesla-style on stage reveals are also unnecessary, I'm surprised that none of the top officials at FF saw this as a substandard attempt at copying EM & Tesla.
There have been quite a few who have protested Tesla's methods over the years. One of the things they continue to say is that they just want a 'good, long range, electric car'. Essentially, that if they could get the fully electric equivalent of a Camry or Accord, they'd be fine. They swear to have no need for 'high performance' at all. They have no interest in drag racing or 'luxury'.

To them, I say, fine. Let Toyota or Honda build that car for you. They have the manufacturing capacity and the deep pockets to manage the feat.

Tesla though is on a mission. And that mission cannot be achieved with a 'me too' mobile. For over two decades, and well after the Excel was dead and gone, Hyundai had a hard time selling the American public on the Sonata. It has only been in the last few years that it has been able to reach the top ten in sales of passenger cars consistently within the U.S. Even though the Sonata has been at least as good as Camry and Accord for a long time. Tesla does not have the time, nor the deep pockets of backers like Hyundai Heavy Equipment or the Korean government to support it through such a long introduction. And if the Model ☰ had come out and was just like everything else, people would have just got a Camry instead.

So, I understand Faraway Future's position... That they feel it is necessary to go after the 'Tesla Killer' mantle, even though I think that ill advised. But though I understand, I agree with you, the target should be ICE vehicles in the price range they want to occupy. Show your prototype taking on a Panamera Turbo S, an Alpina B7, or an AMG S63 and blowing their doors entirely off while coddling its passengers in style. Issue a challenge, but through the gauntlet at the feet of those you can beat best at their own game. And do so on your own terms, not by copying someone else along the way.

[ NOTE: Criminy. I think I did it again... I keep forgetting the difference between FF and LUCiD cars... I apologize if this post makes no sense. Ugh. ]