Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farmers insurance and Tesla repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got rear ended at a stoplight recently, in my 2022 M3LR, that resulted in a gouge and crease in my bumper. The Tesla approved body shop wrote an estimate for almost $2,200 to replace and paint the bumper. The at fault driver's insurance is Kemper which sent me an estimate of $485 along with a check and then they ghosted me. They won't return phone calls or texts, they simply mailed me the check and the estimate. At that point I decided to go through my insurance (Farmers). They sent me an estimate for $975 to repair the existing bumper but said to take it to the shop so they could pull the bumper off, do a more thorough inspection, and write a supplemental.
After talking to the body shop, they suggested that I give them the Kemper info and they will go to them and see if they can get the repair paid for. They don't want to go through Farmers because they say Farmers refuses to pay Tesla repair rates, which are higher because of extra time and procedures that are needed when repairing a Tesla. This is a very reputable body shop in the area so I tend to believe them. They actually said they have a case right now that they want to turn in with the California Department of Insurance or Commissioner because Farmers refuses to pay and leaves their customers stuck with the difference in the repair cost.
Has anyone else experienced this?

I got rear ended at a stoplight recently, in my 2022 M3LR, that resulted in a gouge and crease in my bumper. The Tesla approved body shop wrote an estimate for almost $2,200 to replace and paint the bumper.

Sorry you were in an accident.
$2.2K to replace rear plastic bumper cover is excessive!
Part of the problems you are uncovering in the rest of your thread is that your body shop is trying to hose you/your insurance!

The at fault driver's insurance is Kemper which sent me an estimate of $485 along with a check and then they ghosted me. They won't return phone calls or texts, they simply mailed me the check and the estimate. At that point I decided to go through my insurance (Farmers).

You should have done that from day 1.

They sent me an estimate for $975 to repair the existing bumper but said to take it to the shop so they could pull the bumper off, do a more thorough inspection, and write a supplemental.

That sounds exceedingly reasonable.
That's precisely how the all body shop <-> insurance adjuster interactions run.

After talking to the body shop, they suggested that I give them the Kemper info and they will go to them and see if they can get the repair paid for. They don't want to go through Farmers because they say Farmers refuses to pay Tesla repair rates, which are higher because of extra time and procedures that are needed when repairing a Tesla. This is a very reputable body shop in the area so I tend to believe them.

Perhaps it's time to get a quote from another body shop?

I had a somewhat similar experience a few years ago, when I needed to get the front bumper cover replaced. Local "Tesla approved" body shops were quoting into multiple thousands of dollars. Which seamed excessive.
I went to local Tesla SC, and they confirmed that Tesla provides front/rear pre-painted bumpers that SC can install in a few hours. They did the job for around 1/2 of what the body-shop had quoted me.

HTH,
a

Reactions: gaswalla
Sorry you were in an accident.
$2.2K to replace rear plastic bumper cover is excessive!
Part of the problems you are uncovering in the rest of your thread is that your body shop is trying to hose you/your insurance!

You should have done that from day 1.

That sounds exceedingly reasonable.
That's precisely how the all body shop <-> insurance adjuster interactions run.

Perhaps it's time to get a quote from another body shop?

I had a somewhat similar experience a few years ago, when I needed to get the front bumper cover replaced. Local "Tesla approved" body shops were quoting into multiple thousands of dollars. Which seamed excessive.
I went to local Tesla SC, and they confirmed that Tesla provides front/rear pre-painted bumpers that SC can install in a few hours. They did the job for around 1/2 of what the body-shop had quoted me.

HTH,
a

The Service center told me they don't do any body work and sent me to the Certified shop.

I didn't want tot go through my insurance if I could avoid it.

Google Tesla bumper replacement for a Model 3 and you will notice that $2000 is not unusual. I pay more for an OEM part clause on my policy, I don't want
the bumper repaired, and, in my experience, pre-painted parts rarely match, especially on a white vehicle.

I never said the inspection and supplemental part sounded unreasonable., of course this needs to be done. I'd be surprised if the impact bar wasn't damaged.

I'm taking it to a Tesla Certified shop and they are the one close to me.

If Farmers doesn't want to pay the higher rates to fix a Tesla, they should let their clients know that.

The Service center told me they don't do any body work and sent me to the Certified shop.

I didn't want tot go through my insurance if I could avoid it.
Why not? That's what you pay them for. That is their job -- to get your car fixed and then go after Kemper to get reimbursed.

CA is an at-fault state. And under CA law, your rates cannot be raised if the other guy is at fault. CA law also allows you to take your car to any licensed repair shop in the state. You do not have to go to the insurance-recommended repair shop.

Why not? That's what you pay them for. That is their job -- to get your car fixed and then go after Kemper to get reimbursed.

CA is an at-fault state. And under CA law, your rates cannot be raised if the other guy is at fault. CA law also allows you to take your car to any licensed repair shop in the state. You do not have to go to the insurance-recommended repair shop.

Truthfully, I don't pay for a rental car on my policy so I figured if I went through Kemper I could have them pay.
That is their job -- to get your car fixed and then go after Kemper to get reimbursed.
I agree, so it's disappointing to find out they won't pay the repair rates.

Also... I'm not going to an insurance recommended shop but a Tesla recommended shop.

In my case you need to find a Farmers preferred body shop (should also be a certified one) and let the body shop deal with Farmers since they are partners.
The Farmers preferred shop is over an hour away. Farmers has finally worked with the Tesla repair center to agree on a rate and I take my car in tomorrow. I've done some comparisons and I'll actually save a bit on my total insurance by switching to AAA for Home and Car coverage.

Truthfully, I don't pay for a rental car on my policy so I figured if I went through Kemper I could have them pay.

I agree, so it's disappointing to find out they won't pay the repair rates.

Also... I'm not going to an insurance recommended shop but a Tesla recommended shop.
A bit of extra information, although it's probably too late for anything that happened in January.

My wife was involved in a small accident in Berkeley that GEICO deemed to be her fault. To me, it looked like both drivers were at fault, but I wasn't there, and my wife, who did a low-speed lane change in the Model 3, felt very bad about it. Neither of us had a claim within living memory, so I just thought, "OK, nobody was hurt; this is why we have insurance." Shared risk pool, etc., right?

See the attached photos for the damage. An approved body shop charged GEICO around $3,100 to repair the Prius. I didn't initially file a claim for the Tesla because you can hardly see it (and you never know when someone will scratch your door or hit you with a shopping cart). However, I did take it in for an estimate at the Tesla-recommended shop in Oakland, where they wanted ~$975 for the front bumper cover, including removing and replacing the fog lamps, which the M3 SR+ doesn't have.

So: I was surprised to see that based on this one accident, GEICO raised my rates by over $2,000 a year. When I asked about it, they said the wouldn't keep the rates at the elevated level for more than three years unless there was another claim.

OK: There's "at fault", there's the concept of shared risk, there's recovery of their outlay, but how in the world can they justify recovering more than twice their outlay (in addition to normal rates) for this one occurrance. Also, what do yo think? Should I have the bumper cover repaired there at $975 on a $500-deductable policy? How much more do you think they'll raise my rates?

Yes, I'm "irate".

PS: The last photo shows the M3 clean and with new tires but the same scratches.

Attachments

• IMG_1458.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_1458.HEIC.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1457.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_1457.HEIC.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1455.jpeg
    IMG_1455.jpeg
    678.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2866.jpeg
    IMG_2866.jpeg
    560.8 KB · Views: 33
Yes, you should get your car fixed. It won’t affect your insurance rates any further.
The increase in rates is not to recover the payout but to charge you based on your risk profile. You (your wife) is now deemed more likely to cause bodily injury or total a vehicle. It’s all really messed up, and we need a better system.

So: I was surprised to see that based on this one accident, GEICO raised my rates by over $2,000 a year. When I asked about it, they said the wouldn't keep the rates at the elevated level for more than three years unless there was another claim.

So you will have to pay an extra $6,000. Why not selling your car or at least get a new insurance.
Geico has a very bad rfeputation from customer reports. try Amica, 21st Century or use Costco.