Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farmer's Insurance refusing to add new Teslas to current policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
So, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are adding a 3 to their household...

They already have an S on the policy and the 3 is replacing a Lexus...

Their pickup for the 3 is soon and they wanted to get it added to their policy and was just refused. The person my brother-in-law was working with had informed him that they no longer insure Teslas...

Anyone else around here experience this?

I'm on a different insurance than they are...

Their pickup for the 3 is soon and they wanted to get it added to their policy and was just refused. The person my brother-in-law was working with had informed him that they no longer insure Teslas...

I did a search for Farmers Insurance refusing to insure Teslas, did not find anything. My guess this is not company policy. I suggest they talk with someone else or make an inquiry to Farmers corporate.

Wouldn't hurt to get a quote on Tesla insurance. Set it to start some time in the future, then call up and add another vehicle and driver to get comparable numbers. Worked for me.

I did a search for Farmers Insurance refusing to insure Teslas, did not find anything. My guess this is not company policy. I suggest they talk with someone else or make an inquiry to Farmers corporate.

This is indeed the next step they are taking with Farmers... The information was from their long-time agent...

Wouldn't hurt to get a quote on Tesla insurance. Set it to start some time in the future, then call up and add another vehicle and driver to get comparable numbers. Worked for me.

They did get this, the crazy thing is that the insurance won't kick in at pick up (planned for tomorrow at 6pm) but midnight on the 25th (about six hours later...)

They are buying a new 3 directly from Tesla and looking to insure directly with Tesla and this is the weirdness that they are getting from Tesla.

They did get this, the crazy thing is that the insurance won't kick in at pick up (planned for tomorrow at 6pm) but midnight on the 25th (about six hours later...)

They are buying a new 3 directly from Tesla and looking to insure directly with Tesla and this is the weirdness that they are getting from Tesla.
That is certainly odd, but doesn’t their current Farmers insurance cover them for any car they might drive just temporarily? It’s just a 6 hour gap. (Unless they stole it or did not get permission from the owner). I thought that was normally the way auto insurance operated. But I could be wrong...

It’s bizarre that the Farmers agent told them Farmers is no longer insuring Teslas. I find it hard to believe that is the company policy going forward.

That is certainly odd, but doesn’t their current Farmers insurance cover them for any car they might drive just temporarily? It’s just a 6 hour gap. (Unless they stole it or did not get permission from the owner). I thought that was normally the way auto insurance operated. But I could be wrong...

It’s bizarre that the Farmers agent told them Farmers is no longer insuring Teslas. I find it hard to believe that is the company policy going forward.

Got text from my brother-in-law and he clarified with the call center and not his agent:

“Our agent misinformed us. We have 30 days under our current policy to drive a new car off the lot”

Which makes a lot of sense because I reminded them that we both bought BMWs together in 2010 on a weekend and drove off the lot for several days before we got a hold of insurance to add the car to the policy (it was a holiday weekend).

As for the “no Tesla edict”, still checking on that one. He needs to talk to an agent for a quote.

I have Farmer's insurance and I have 2 Tesla (X and 3) on it and a Lexus. I added the 3 just 1 year ago. It seems really odd that they would stop insuring new Tesla. If they really don't insurance Tesla from now on, your brother in law would just switch insurance. I actually just did the Tesla insurance quote. They are about 10% cheaper than Farmers. I don't want to switch my insurance but the agent was a friend of my dad for over 30 years.

I have Farmer's insurance and I have 2 Tesla (X and 3) on it and a Lexus. I added the 3 just 1 year ago. It seems really odd that they would stop insuring new Tesla. If they really don't insurance Tesla from now on, your brother in law would just switch insurance. I actually just did the Tesla insurance quote. They are about 10% cheaper than Farmers. I don't want to switch my insurance but the agent was a friend of my dad for over 30 years.

I see them tonight when they pick up their 3... So, I'll update the thread... But this is the same sort of situation... Farmers has been very helpful to them and they are generally happy. They got the 3 because they were able to get a claim processed to their favor for an ICE car that was fairly valued by Farmers...

For my Model 3,I have 21th Century, which is now own by Farmer.

If Farmer don't work out, may be try getting a quote from 21st Century
It would be interesting then to know the outcome, since both are the same company.
Thanks for the information... I'll pass it along to them... (they were able to pick up their Midnight Silver Metallic (I was calling it Grey) Model 3 today, and have 30 days to get it formally added to a policy...)

I have Hartford and was told the same thing when I tried to add my P3. I'm now shopping for a new insurance carrier.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL