Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farthest road trips from So Cal (OC, LA, SD, IE areas).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate the thought, but no. This was not a simple case of the nav seeing a road closure and tellng me to go around it. This trip was well past the rains and the highway was indeed open. Somewhere north of Cambria, the nav went "cafluey" and the entire map went blank. Not only did the roads disappear from the map, the entire screen was blank and became a solid grey color. It was as if the nav was completely blind. My wife and I were joking that if we followed the actual directions the nav was telling us, we would have driven into the Pacific Ocean. The nav did come back once we were close to Big Sur and, I am guessing, back in range of a cell tower.

Shortly after this happened, I posted about it on TMC and other drivers reported similar experiences when driving through areas with no cell reception.

Just something to be aware of when planning trips, esp in areas with no cell coverage.

Tesla Navigation is multiple layers integrated together. The car keeps a built in offline map that’s just sequences of roads and turns. That gets overlaid on to a graphical map that comes down from the web, and it looks up Points of Interest online.

The car knows where the road is and where along a road it is (assuming GPS is working,) without the cell connection, but won’t show anything but the path zig zagging along without the cellular data.

How about 7,800 miles through three countries? post

road-trip-to-mexico-california-google-maps-jpg.478973

I am just wondering what is the farthest some Tesla owners have gone? I heard some states have very few, some non at all. But I'm not too worried nor would it have affected my buying decision since living in So Cal is much easier to own a Tesla. Since there are supercharging stations within most day trip type of travels like me going from OC to LA, SD, Santa Barbara. When it comes to day trips starting in Lake Forest CA, I feel the only day trips I need to charge up for are San Diego ones sometimes (if I add up local driving), Santa Barbara for sure. I've done snowboard trips to mt high and that's close enough to do round trip no charging.

So far I think Santa Barbara and San Ysidro and Mt High are the farthest I've gone with the Tesla. I never tried national parks yet so I would like to know how to prepare for something like that and know if there are local EV charging stations within Yosemite or Grand Canyon, or any national park in CA or Utah. Since maybe that's a possible future destination. Plus would autopilot really come in handy when doing 8-10 hour long drives in middle of nowhere places?

But I want to know if anyone has encountered any problem when trying to push the Tesla to its limit when it comes to driving outside the So Cal area. Or if everything went smoothly? How long does it take to charge and would eating for 20-40 min be enough for charging? Just wondering if people had to wait to charge or were able to do it while doing another activity?

Plus has anyone ever forgot to charge a supercharging station? Maybe because you didn't turn the GPS on and assumed you knew how to get to your destination? And then realized you drove too much that you would not make any supercharging station back tracking or going any direction?

6 States Where You Can’t Charge a Tesla – 24/7 Wall St.
Six states have no Tesla Superchargers: Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Mississippi, Nebraska and North Dakota.

I’ve driven my wife’s S from San Luis Obispo County to Oregon 4 or 5 times with almost no problems. On one trip, my wife forgot her adaptor for standard chargers. We stay at a hotel in Williams, CA that has standard chargers, but oops we couldn’t use them and they had no 110 outlets within reach of the charging cable. I called Tesla and they suggested that we talk to a nearby gas station. I did and they were kind enough to allow me to plug into their 110 outlet. By the following morning, we had enough juice to get us to the next supercharger 60 miles to the north in Corning.

I’ve driven my wife’s S from San Luis Obispo County to Oregon 4 or 5 times with almost no problems. On one trip, my wife forgot her adaptor for standard chargers. We stay at a hotel in Williams, CA that has standard chargers, but oops we couldn’t use them and they had no 110 outlets within reach of the charging cable. I called Tesla and they suggested that we talk to a nearby gas station. I did and they were kind enough to allow me to plug into their 110 outlet. By the following morning, we had enough juice to get us to the next supercharger 60 miles to the north in Corning.

I never assume I’ll be able to charge at a hotel, even if I picked it because it nominally has charging - so I make sure to always arrive at the hotel with enough to make it to the next Supercharger with a little margin after an overnight stay.

Reactions: Big Earl
Owners seem to quickly figure out all the charging on the road stuff.

Kind of reminds me when you would be traveling and see a "Last Gas for XXX miles" signs. Would notify drivers to check their fuel levels and perhaps top off from a nearby gas station instead of trying to make it to the next one.

There is always the trade off decision to always run around with a full tank for comfort, or run it down to a lower level where it will charge faster.

I am just wondering what is the farthest some Tesla owners have gone? ....

Welcome to Tesla Ownership...

Here are a couple of my old posts here...

Here, There, and EVerywhere... Posting our trip SoCal to East Coast and back...

The Long Way Round... Summer Roadtrip to Gigafactory Party

and if you're interested in joining the Official Tesla Owners Club of Orange County, check my links...

Tesla Roadtrips in 2020 is a lot less complicated than before...

Just go and enjoy... once restrictions are lifted...

Regards,

Dennis

Reactions: Jedi2155