Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast starts and smooth ride mutually exclusive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 started vibrating at around 3k miles, and I replaced the OEM tires at around 8k miles due to feathering and inside tread wear, assuming that was the cause of the vibration. Unfortunately, the new tires didn't solve the vibration. I'm now at around 17k miles and the place I had the tires road force balanced at said "these are just not quiet tires" (Quatrac Pros). They also noted that the tires are cupped in the front.

I picked up a new set of OEM tires plus rims from a forum member, but I'm not sure if I should put them on at this point. I'm starting to think that perhaps there's an underlying suspension issue and that any tires I put on will be damaged. Either that, *or* I'm just ruining tires from my driving habits. I don't feel like I'm driving that aggressively, but I do appreciate a fast start and have done so fairly often when it feels safe.

While I expect that aggressive driving will cause the tires wear faster and thus require more frequent tire replacement, I don't have the experience to know if that implies uneven wear / cupping / feathering. I could really use the help of a "car whisperer", and would really like the vehicle to drive as smooth as it did in the beginning, whether I decide to take off fast sometimes or not.

For those of you who sometimes launch the car on "green" - have you all chewed through and destroyed your tires quickly?

Yeah, twice, but that didn't resolve the vibration. Here's the chain of events:
  • Alignment + rotation (vibration *seemed* to move to the rear)
  • Alignment at another shop 2 days later (Goodyear... advertised as "free alignment check", but they charged me for it). Only took it there to ensure the car *stayed* in alignment, as the SC employee informed me that one sign of a suspension issue is failure to stay aligned.
  • New tires (Quatrac Pro, Dunn Tire)
  • Road force balance (Dunn Tire... only match mounted one tire)
  • Road force balance (Non-chain tire shop... match mounted all 4 tires, minimum runout)
  • New tires (OEM tires and wheels from a new Model 3... these are sitting in my garage, not sure I want to put them on yet)
This is getting expensive (too late).

Here's the spec sheet from the first alignment.

Attachments

• continental-alignment.jpg
    continental-alignment.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 48
And the second alignment. I don't trust these numbers... they offered a "free alignment check", but the guy said "If they touch it, we're going to charge you for it"... then came out and said "... it was out of alignment, we fixed it". This was 2 days after the first alignment. After I got the new tires, I revisited this Goodyear shop for *another* alignment check, and magically everything was perfect (I paid for their 3 year alignment package). Seems like they make up their own numbers.

Attachments

• goodyear-alignment.jpg
    goodyear-alignment.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 36