Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Idea: Built-in 0-60 Measuring Function

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

focher

Oct 15, 2013
Bay Area
One of the nice features in the latest Corvette C8 is that it automatically measures 0-60 times. Wondering why Tesla doesn’t add such a feature, at least in the Performance. It’s just a software add. No need for all these kludgy devices intended to perform the same function.

Reactions: DanCar
Probably because what it would likely do is generate a bunch of extra service calls because someones car is slightly slower than the rated times, for any of a number of reasons. No gain at all for tesla but a downside in more service appointments made they have to cancel, etc.

You know it would happen, lol.

One of the nice features in the latest Corvette C8 is that it automatically measures 0-60 times. Wondering why Tesla doesn’t add such a feature, at least in the Performance. It’s just a software add. No need for all these kludgy devices intended to perform the same function.

There is a need for those "kludgy devices". GPS on the Tesla is not designed to be accurate to measure movement down to the 1/100 of a foot, or 1/100 of a second.

Your observation is like telling a surgeon there's no reason to use a scalpel, when he has a perfectly good pocket knife.

There is a need for those "kludgy devices". GPS on the Tesla is not designed to be accurate to measure movement down to the 1/100 of a foot, or 1/100 of a second.

Your observation is like telling a surgeon there's no reason to use a scalpel, when he has a perfectly good pocket knife.
What does acceleration have to do with distance?

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt
Probably because what it would likely do is generate a bunch of extra service calls because someones car is slightly slower than the rated times, for any of a number of reasons. No gain at all for tesla but a downside in more service appointments made they have to cancel, etc.

You know it would happen, lol.

omg not just the service center, this forum would be inundated ;)

But unless you are using an outrigger to actually measure speed/distance, all the car is doing is timing how long it takes from the foot to hit the gas pedal to the speedometer to register 60 mph. No GPS or other magic involved. (And the on-board computers can easily measure time to 1/100th of a second).

(OTOH I agree with the prior post .. all people would do is complain that their car was 0.1 second slow then the spec etc.)

What does acceleration have to do with distance?

They are not tied to each other. Like on dragy I had the fastest 0-60 time for a while, then someone here got that ghost upgrade thing on their car and outran my time by doing it 1 foot shorter in the distance, but the same exact time down to the 1/100th

But unless you are using an outrigger to actually measure speed/distance, all the car is doing is timing how long it takes from the foot to hit the gas pedal to the speedometer to register 60 mph. No GPS or other magic involved. (And the on-board computers can easily measure time to 1/100th of a second).

(OTOH I agree with the prior post .. all people would do is complain that their car was 0.1 second slow then the spec etc.)

Negative. If the car only measured wheel speed it would be including wheel spin as forward motion. You need time + distance for that to be accurate. Otherwise you could just break the tires loose in track mode on a wet surface and get a sub two second 0-60 easily measured by the car in the way you're suggesting.

Negative. If the car only measured wheel speed it would be including wheel spin as forward motion. You need time + distance for that to be accurate. Otherwise you could just break the tires loose in track mode on a wet surface and get a sub two second 0-60 easily measured by the car in the way you're suggesting.

Well yes, in some official competition I'm sure, but we're just talking casual fun here.

Reactions: focher
Phone GPS, and the one in your car, measures position at 1hz (once per second). Not nearly often enough to measure 0-60. The Draggy measures at 10hz (which still sounds really low, but it's 10 times faster). So it's not just a software change in this case, you need GPS hardware with a higher sampling rate.

So let me get this straight.

You all are complaining because tesla doesn't have a 0-60mph timing system built in by default. And, you don't care if it was built in, if it is accurate or not?

No, I think what is being said here is recreational accuracy is different from (and less stringent than) definitive accuracy. Which seems reasonable to me. Last time I baked cake my kitchen scales, inaccurate though they are, allowed the cake to come out ok.

Reactions: focher
Phone GPS, and the one in your car, measures position at 1hz (once per second). Not nearly often enough to measure 0-60. The Draggy measures at 10hz (which still sounds really low, but it's 10 times faster). So it's not just a software change in this case, you need GPS hardware with a higher sampling rate.

So in track mode at least the Tesla GPS runs at 18hz.

Yeah, a timing counter from 0-60 just using the speedometer would be perfectly acceptable for probably 99% of owners... and it'd be slightly optimistic, since the speedometer is about 2 mph slower, at least in my car with 18s. And since you could more or less do the same thing with a timing device, it'd be a nice extra to include indeed, at least on the P models.