Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Charge Time Window Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the app could we have the ability to set the charge starting and finishing times? This would fit lovely with electricity tariffs that have a small cheap charging window that can be used daily to top up, keep the car in that charging zone? Also select if you would or would not like a preconditioning of the car to use power from the wall or not when this time window is set. As it could save the user a lot of money being able to just use the juice picked up during those hours from the battery.

How are you charging? Since you are in the UK, I'll ask whether its 3.3kW (domestic outlet) or 7.2kW (dedicated charging station)? How long is your cheap electricity tariff? The reason I ask is that unless you are charging at 120V in the US (about 1.8kW), and especially if you have a dedicated charging station (7.2kW or better), your daily charging is probably short enough that charging would be complete before the end of the tariff period.

Not that your idea isn't a good one, but I'm just wondering how often it would come into play?

Also, if you set a charge limit of say 80%, and a charge window of X to Y, which one should take priority? I.e. if you NEED an 80% charge, how would you feel if the car terminated charging early because it fell outside of the tariff period?

Perhaps a better solution would be to use the departure time capability. Just set the departure time for the end of your tariff period and let the car figure out when to start charging so that you end up with the desired state of charge.

If you absolutely must stick to your defined tariff time period, then I would probably suggest using a charging station that supports a timer. That way the charging station itself will enforce the tariff policy.

Reactions: APotatoGod
How are you charging? Since you are in the UK, I'll ask whether its 3.3kW (domestic outlet) or 7.2kW (dedicated charging station)? How long is your cheap electricity tariff? The reason I ask is that unless you are charging at 120V in the US (about 1.8kW), and especially if you have a dedicated charging station (7.2kW or better), your daily charging is probably short enough that charging would be complete before the end of the tariff period.

Not that your idea isn't a good one, but I'm just wondering how often it would come into play?

Also, if you set a charge limit of say 80%, and a charge window of X to Y, which one should take priority? I.e. if you NEED an 80% charge, how would you feel if the car terminated charging early because it fell outside of the tariff period?

Perhaps a better solution would be to use the departure time capability. Just set the departure time for the end of your tariff period and let the car figure out when to start charging so that you end up
with the desired state of charge.

If you absolutely must stick to your defined tariff time period, then I would probably suggest using a charging station that supports a timer. That way the charging station itself will enforce the tariff policy.

7.2kw charging station from single phase. So it would cut my EV bill by almost 2 thirds which offsets the higher overall price per kwh. I will give it 6 months and compare but the window is from 00:30 - 04:30 every night at 5p. So I will set the car to start charging then. Admins forgive me if this is not allowed but my link is here: Octopus Energy £50 each for the move. It seems to make sense with the amount of charging I do now.

• Informative
7.2kw charging station from single phase. So it would cut my EV bill by almost 2 thirds which offsets the higher overall price per kwh. I will give it 6 months and compare but the window is from 00:30 - 04:30 every night at 5p. So I will set the car to start charging then. Admins forgive me if this is not allowed but my link is here: Octopus Energy £50 each for the move. It seems to make sense with the amount of charging I do now.

7.2kW charging should give roughly 30 miles per hour of charging. If your window is 4 hours long, as long as you don't need to replenish more than 120 miles of range, you should not fall outside of your window.

Granted, the way I charge at home is to wait until I am below 30% or so and then charge to 80%, so my charge times are usually in the 5-6 hour range, but if I was concerned about meeting a particular tariff window, I would simply plug in more often. I am only doing about 30 miles of driving per day.

7.2kW charging should give roughly 30 miles per hour of charging. If your window is 4 hours long, as long as you don't need to replenish more than 120 miles of range, you should not fall outside of your window.

Granted, the way I charge at home is to wait until I am below 30% or so and then charge to 80%, so my charge times are usually in the 5-6 hour range, but if I was concerned about meeting a particular tariff window, I would simply plug in more often. I am only doing about 30 miles of driving per day.

I suppose then the last part is will increased smaller daily charges up to 80% ( +10 - 20 % ) be worse for your cells than larger 30-80% cycles? I do not think so much and It saves a lot of money though. 7.2kw is very low stress.

I suppose then the last part is will increased smaller daily charges up to 80% ( +10 - 20 % ) be worse for your cells than larger 30-80% cycles? I do not think so much and It saves a lot of money though. 7.2kw is very low stress.

I doubt it's a significant impact, but there are actually those that swear that the smaller daily charges to 80% (or maybe 70%) are exactly what Tesla recommends (I'm not sure I believe them for people that have relatively low daily drives).