Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Elevation Indicator on the energy usage screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When driving, I do not always notice when the road is starting to go up in elevation, would it be useful to have an line plotted on the (main screen) energy page so that you can see the 'expected' increase in compumption vs when you have have developed a bit of a lead foot?

Reactions: McManX
I am having a hard time imagining what the display would indicate. Compare and contrast driving from Sacramento to the Grapevine with driving from Sacramento to Reno. From Sac to the start of the Grapevine you would essentially drive at sea level until Stockton, and then have a gradual but steady climb to around 800 feet over a couple of hundred miles. On the other hand Sac to Reno will have a steady gain for many miles followed by a lot of ups and downs (mostly ups) until Donner Summit, then downs and ups (mostly downs.)

The trip planner feature on the touchscreen display would seem to fit the bill already. The graph shows the decline in state of charge, and is proportionate to any elevation gain or loss. Dialing in on your destination and monitoring the trip graph should (at least it does for me) be all that would be necessary to figure out just how much elevation gain can be expected for a particular leg. Thus, you can compare the decline in your battery with your actual driving style to the "anticipated" decline as calculated by the trip planner tab. If your style is using more energy because of "lead foot," you can just ease off the go pedal to conserve.

This is not meant to be snarky. But don't you notice the geography while driving? I see you are from Ladera Ranch. So, I would assume that you have a working understanding of the mountain ranges and general elevation changes from the Pacific to the coastal ranges, interior valleys and Sierra Nevada?

Enjoy your X! Drive far, drive fun!

Now a built-in anemometer, now we're talking!