Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Passenger side key card reader

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is there only the driver-side key card reader in the Model 3? I want access to the inside of the car from both doors; should not have to run over to the driver's side B-pillar to swipe the key card to unlock. When an unthinking/inconsiderate mammoth truck parked so close to my driver side door today, there was no room on that side for anyone to swipe the card, while there was plenty of room on the passenger side. Tesla recommends taking your key card in the wallet/purse in case the phone battery is low or the phone malfunctions, which was the case this time. So the key card did not help because it was unable to get physical proximity to the reader, which is only on the driver side!! The key card reader should be on the driver AND passenger sides! BTW, it is not that hard for an average-sized person to climb over from the passenger side into the driver's seat (I tried and succeeded).

Regrettably, that's very probably not one of those things that solvable by software and will take extra hardware to implement.

And in this case, you did had the very rare edge case, phone not available AND blocked door AND Canada.

The normal solution for this (outside of Canada for now) is to use the summons mode and just back the car out.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike