Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FedEx CEO: Let's end our need for oil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FedEx CEO: Let's end our need for oil

With an electrified transportation system, no single fuel source -- or producer -- could hold us hostage the way just one nation can disrupt the flow of petroleum today.

I am not someone who tends to advocate increased government involvement in the private sector. But there is no free market for oil. This is not a market issue -- it is a national security issue.

Hopefully Mr. Smith follows up with his talking and increases the number of EV delivery vehicles by significant portions by the end of the year. I know you have to start somewhere and that FedEx can't take a huge risk by suddenly replacing their fleet with EVs but 31 vehicles is only .00044% of their massive fleet of dino-burning delivery vehicles. :eek:

Early results confirm that the costs of operating and maintaining electric vehicles are significantly less than those for traditional internal-combustion-engine vehicles. In some cases we've achieved savings of 70% to 80%.

That's some serious savings. Hopefully it will entice them to have 100 EVs (or more) by the end of the year.

They should put chargers in front of all 1,900 FedEx Offices (formerly FedEx Kinko's).

They have won green awards like the EPA Green Power Partnership: “Top 20 Retail Partner” (2010) though only half of the locations even recycle their paper waste.

Last edited:
That's a great idea. I really wish some company like this would do that.

They should put chargers in front of all 1,900 FedEx Offices (formerly FedEx Kinko's).

I sent an e-mail to Starbucks with the same thought and they replied:

We sincerely appreciate your interest in Starbucks and your desire to present an idea, product or service that might be profitable to us. Unfortunately, at this time we do not accept unsolicited business ideas or proposals and we are unable to respond to requests to link to third party Web sites.

Last edited:
In Paris (was there about 2 months ago) I saw a EV delivery truck of FedEx driving around :)

Good to hear that some higher ranked people start talking about the problems of oil and are leaning towards EV's.

Attachments

• fedex_express_modec_electric_vehicles.jpg
    fedex_express_modec_electric_vehicles.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,153
Nissan is supposedly coming out with an electric commercial van in 2012. I've already told my Nissan dealer to get me one. I'll be using it to make deliveries for my company.

Can I suggest you find out who has the Corporate Social Responsibility portfolio at Starbucks and write again to them pointing out that you are not suggesting a business proposal but a social and environmental good that Starbucks could do.

At the airport where i work BP has a couple (two, i think) electric refuelling trucks. They're clunky big 96v dc things, with wet lead acid batteries, but they're neato. The refuelling guys like them, as long as they're working. I suspect they're not very good at keeping the water in the batteries. It's kinda ironic that BP are using EVs at all, let alone using them to refuel aircraft. :p

It's kinda ironic that BP are using EVs at all, let alone using them to refuel aircraft. :p

not so ironic as you think. BP used to be be one of the largest producers of photovoltaic cells. they did divest from the industry a few years ago though.......... I guess the bif oil companies are really energy companies....... kinda like cigarette companies are today diversified into foods and other things to transition and make their core business more "legit"......

/fb

That's a great idea. I really wish some company like this would do that.

I sent an e-mail to Starbucks with the same thought and they replied:

McDonalds is similar. They don't accept any external ideas. They have a group of people who's job it is to just think stuff up. Guess to protect someone from trying to horn in and get a payday from "their idea" that they submitted, if it becomes reality, regardless of whether it was already in progress before they submitted, or was just a coincidence and was thought up by someone else. Pretty disturbing the world has to be that way.