Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fifth Gear First Drives: Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Tesla Roadster first drives - Fifth Gear

Tesla_smoke_300.jpg

Thanks. Looks like they drove VP18.
Tesla_front_660.jpg

I wish they had some accompanying video with Tiff behind the wheel.

"...the fact that it only comes with left-hand drive."
Back at the Menlo Park store opening Darryl told me that they had to switch HVAC vendors in order to be able to do right-hand drive. I suppose once they get that worked out, they might think about entering the Japanese market.

Last edited:
The screen left of the driver's side says how many barrels of oil you've saved. Ha!

This is very interesting...

"The Tesla's batteries should last over five years, 500 recharging cycles and between 100,000 and 120,000 miles, and cost £5000 to replace at today's prices."

If the Roadster's batteries cost this little it would be great, but I really doubt it. Some mistake must've been made here; no where have I ever heard such a low price.

By the way, this article was posted on June 23rd (I was a bit off the ball with this one :smile:), so the car was probably with the original drivetrain spec. The article would have been written by a Fifth Gear 'staffer'. I understand the car will feature on the new series/season which starts tomorrow - though not on the first show.

I'm a bit disappointed with the 3/5 score. The article seems quite positive up to that point. It appears to derive from the high price (don't forget this is on a par with the Audi R8 over here, and this article neglects to include VAT at 17.5%) and I think playing it safe with a first UK review.

The £5000 battery price has to be a mistake. Unless Tesla negotiated a mega-deal, it would have to be around 3 times under reality.

Regarding RHD, having to source a new HVAC supplier is news to me, but I was told some reengineering was going on to move the equipment to accomodate a steering column on the right.

Battery Prices

Way back shortly after the Roadster was first unveiled, there was some speculation about battery cost and replacement price.

Even though Tesla weren't telling, everybody pretty much pegged their cell cost over $20,000 per car, perhaps quite a bit over. Someone from Tesla then speculated that IF commodity li-ion pricing trends continued downward as they had in previous years, that the replacement cost should be somewhere around $12,000 by the time any of the ESS packs were worn out and needed replacement.

With all the excitement over automotive li-ion now, and the likelihood of strongly increased demand in the next several years, that prediction should be considered quite shaky.

Then again. . . No other car makers are using commodity li-ion cells. They are all going for new chemistries which may not impact the conventional "laptop battery" market all that much. Whenever car companies get involved with a supplier industry, they're accustomed to everything revolving around them, and their needs driving the market. That may not be true in batteries, at least for a while yet.

At the end of the day, the best answer is: Nobody Knows

Harrigan: The expected battery life is 5 years or 100,000 miles. We consider the battery's end of life is when it reaches 80 percent of original capacity when recharged. The batteries are quite expensive. Today they cost $20,000. Over the next four or five years, we expect prices to come down substantially -- to the $12,000 range. They're coming down 8 percent a year recently. The cells we use in the battery packet are used in lots of different things, like laptops and power tools.
SiliconBeat: The Tesla Roader taken for a spin; and its "gut-wrenching" VC roadshow

So, this quotation is almost exactly 2 years old.

If the prices did continue to fall 8% per year, and the batteries were $20,000 in August of 2006, that would make them $16.9k now? And $15.5k this time next year?

(unless the current batteries were some of the 80% of the car parts purchased when they expected to go into production August 2007...)

Top Gear is the original BBC show that used to have several of the Fifth Gear presenters. It was much more serious in its style than either of the present incarnations and covered a lot more "regular" cars as well as the sports cars and supercars. It was cancelled circa 2001 and most of the presenters on it went to start a very similar show on our Channel 5 - hence the name Fifth Gear.

However Jeremy Clarkson remained with the BBC and restarted the show in the current format in 2002 - much more studio based and chatty. Incidentally I was in the audience for the first show - now there is some ridiculous waiting list for that :smile: Fifth Gear tried to go more towards that format in recent years, but last night's show was heading back towards a more serious style in the main and personally I preferred it.

Top Gear (original format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Top Gear (current format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Fifth Gear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From where I sit it seems that "Top Gear" has ended up with a larger international fan base. BBC America shows Top-Gear, but not Fifth-Gear...

I gather in Britain it is a bit of a "Coke vs Pepsi" or "Mustang vs Camaro" sort of rivalry.

I wouldn't go as far as that level of rivalry - it's not like football clubs for example. They tend to be screened when the other is off-air (Top Gear just finished until October, whereas 5th Gear started again last night) and most of the car fans I know watch both just to keep up their intake of new material.

When people do express an opinion on the shows, it tends to be based on whether you like/dislike the presenters (particularly Clarkson), rather than some ingrained liking or loathing for the shows.

Top Gear definitely benefits internationally from the BBC connection. It's also shown on BBC World in a lot of markets and is one of the few non-current affairs or news shows on there. I've just checked the BBC America line up and that channel is dominated by their own material (I don't think there is a Ch 5 show on there, with just a few from ITV and Ch4), so perhaps it has been deemed there ain't room for two car shows. Five's majority shareholder - RTL - isn't all that active in the US market, so perhaps that hurts them also, but I did notice it is being shown on Discovery Canada now.

Last edited:
Apparently the Roadster will be on Fifth Gear on September 1st.

[14x04] September 1st, 2008 - FinalGear.com Forums
This week, Tiff Needell checks out KTM’s new four-wheeler; Vicki attends the Goodwood Festival of Speed to see two eco-friendly cars; Tom Ford reviews the controversial new BMW X6; Jonny Smith sits in judgement at the Ultimate Street Car modified-car show; and Jason Plato stages another shoot-out, this time with two offerings from Honda.

Elsewhere, Vicki has her sights set on all things glamorous at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. This prestigious event is littered with celebrities and champagne flutes, but the real stars of the show are the machines on display. In particular, Vicki checks out the sleek Tesla Roadster and the clever Breckland Beira. The Roadster is the first car produced by Silicon Valley’s Tesla Motors. The manufacturer only makes vehicles that run on electricity – in the Roadster’s case, a lithium-ion battery pack that takes it 220 miles on a single charge.

Here is the segment from tonight's show. Vicki Butler-Henderson drove VP4 up the hill at Goodwood and then VP12 was in the studio.

Comments - Vicki was clearly enjoying herself but mentioned the lack of noise makes it hard to judge speed. Then driving a second car up the hill, again talks about the noise.

In the following segment on the KTM X-bow, Tiff talked a lot about that car's lack of noise and how it wasn't exciting (despite being as quick as an Atom). They then dubbed over sounds from Aston Martins, F1 cars, etc. It was almost like they were trying to make a point for the rest of the show. I cut that out due to the file size, but tacked the conclusion from the guys in the studio on the end (where VP12 is also still in view).

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap. Here we have a significant advance on existing punishment cars and now the lack of sound is the main talking point!

If tracks/old aerodromes the testing environment of choice then this is likely to come up again and again.

These Tesla drives need to get out on public roads

Edited To Add: Both Vicki and Tiff were wearing crash helmets! Hardly surprising then that she couldn't hear the Tesla and that he wanted more noise from the X-bow.

Last edited: