Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got my M3P from Vroom - damaged undertray

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a 2018 M3P stealth, 20K miles, $46k. While it was still on the delivery truck, I looked underneath for damage, and found this. Looks old, so I doubt it happened in transport. The rest of the car is in good shape, a few light scratches and chips, but it's been well cared for. I sent the pic to Vroom, and the car drives fine, so I guess I will wait and see what they suggest.

The wet look makes me leery of battery coolant leakage. It's dry now, maybe it was damaged and repaired, but not bolted together correctly?

Attachments

• Cleaned_up.jpg
    Cleaned_up.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Tesla_undertray_damage.jpg
    Tesla_undertray_damage.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 145
No big deal, it's just a cheap fiberboard cover for aerodynamics. It's not unheard of for some of the early 3's to have some loose or missing bolts securing these covers and yours is clearly missing one. It appears that the missing bolt allowed the cover to hang down enough to snag on something and rip a little bit. Just get a new bolt and cinch it back up, it'll be fine.

While you're under there (checking the other bolts) remove the cover to inspect the wet spot. Probably just weather related but easy and wise to confirm that it's not coolant or oil.

Did 2018 performances, come with those wheels? Figured the cost of the performance would include the upgraded wheels and red brake calipers and carbon fiber wing??
There is a configuration of performance model Tesla sold for a while that folks here refer to as the ”stealth” performance. It was the car with the upgraded performance specs, but without the “performance package“ which was the brakes, spoiler, etc. originally you had to pay extra to get those added to the car, so some folks didn’t.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Pulled off the cover and all looks dry, no signs of leaks. Replaced 2 missing 6mm bolts and trimmed ragged edge. All good.

I realized all M3Ps have ‘track mode’ - I thought this was an add-on for $. This thing handles well, even with all-seasons and 42psi :)

Attachments

• 537ED73F-E8CD-4DAF-83DB-8402DA535FCD.jpeg
    537ED73F-E8CD-4DAF-83DB-8402DA535FCD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106