Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got my Modern Spare stored!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you mind showing a pic of under the carpet flap?

Also, can you share more pics/info about the bolt mounting? What size bolt and a pic of what it screws into?

Thanks. This is one of the best/cleanest solutions I've seen yet.
Sure thing. I'm out of town but will post some pictures later next week.

Can you tell me more about what pictures you want to see so I can make certain to get the right thing captured?

The bolts were already there. They are the ones that secure the sub-trunk bucket (I think. Can't remember without looking at them.) I did not modify the structure of the vehicle.

Sure thing. I'm out of town but will post some pictures later next week.

Can you tell me more about what pictures you want to see so I can make certain to get the right thing captured?

The bolts were already there. They are the ones that secure the sub-trunk bucket (I think. Can't remember without looking at them.) I did not modify the structure of the vehicle.

Any pics that show where you made cuts would be helpful. I understand on the bolts now.
Then I cut the corners of the sub trunk section to allow it to fold down over the section near the rear seats.
I'm not sure I understand this. It will probably make more sense when I start digging around in there.

Thanks!

Any pics that show where you made cuts would be helpful. I understand on the bolts now.

I'm not sure I understand this. It will probably make more sense when I start digging around in there.

Thanks!
Since I'll be gone another several days, I'll try to describe with words.

I pulled the larger piece that lays on top back towards the rear of the car to get access to the smaller portion of the

Thanks!
Sorry, accidentally posted before I was finished.

Then I put the tire in position and got an idea where to cut around where it would lay. I used a box cutter to cut through the carpet and foam and removed that, allowing the tire more room to lay in that area.

Then, when you go to put the larger piece of carpet back in place you'll find that the corners are "form-shaped" and won't lay flat. Cutting these corners on an angle will allow them to lay down. I also cut out around where I needed the strap to connect to the bolts. All of this is hidden so it won't look unsightly with the tire in place, and especially with the floor panels in place.

The hardest part for me was getting the holes in the strap. I used a drill to work at it until I got the holes. I had a buddy hold the strap taught while I slowly drilled. The strap will end up getting caught on the drill bit and wrapping around. Then you have to go backwards and keep at it.

I still need to put a support under the most rear part of the tire, in the sub trunk. The floor panels lay a little high, but I have a floormat in that area so it isn't a big deal at all.

Finally had some nice weather to hack the subtrunk and get the modern spare stored. I still need to run to the store and get the strap, but I'm pretty happy with the results. I traced around the tire to score the line and the cut the foam by hand with a saws-all blade. I'd recommend not cutting the carpet where the foam bar is. Cut the foam bar under the carpet and then make notches in the carpet to lay the carpet down flat. The weight of the tire will keep it flat. LOL - I see it's pretty hard to describe, but once you are in there it's not to difficult to figure out what has to go and what can stay.

There's no wobbling and the floor panels are just barely higher than stock. Everything goes back into place nicely.

Thanks to JonB65 for the inspiration! (sorry for all the dog hair - that's life with a golden retriever!)
PXL_20230319_200736392.jpg

PXL_20230319_200917077.jpg

PXL_20230319_200946536.jpg

PXL_20230319_201016804.jpg

PXL_20230319_201146665.jpg

Finally had some nice weather to hack the subtrunk and get the modern spare stored. I still need to run to the store and get the strap, but I'm pretty happy with the results. I traced around the tire to score the line and the cut the foam by hand with a saws-all blade. I'd recommend not cutting the carpet where the foam bar is. Cut the foam bar under the carpet and then make notches in the carpet to lay the carpet down flat. The weight of the tire will keep it flat. LOL - I see it's pretty hard to describe, but once you are in there it's not to difficult to figure out what has to go and what can stay.

There's no wobbling and the floor panels are just barely higher than stock. Everything goes back into place nicely.

Thanks to JonB65 for the inspiration! (sorry for all the dog hair - that's life with a golden retriever!)
View attachment 919215
View attachment 919213
View attachment 919214
View attachment 919216
View attachment 919217
Great job!! I'm guessing you don't need my pictures now. :)

You may have to cut a little more at the corners to get the straps installed.

And a little bit of fur is nothing compared to the happiness dogs bring to us!

What did you use in the tub to hold the spare up? I saw on the one video of the guy use some sort of Styrofoam insulation stuff. Just curious what you did and if you know the height of it? Thanks
I still need to fix this. I think I had a piece of 2x4 that seemed about perfect. I didn't measure it. I need to make a "T" out of two pieces of 2x4 and just set this under the back part of the wheel.

I've been riding around with it not really braced up. The strap is doing a good job of keeping it in place.

Movement hasn't been an issue, but I do want to get the back end of the tire supported somehow.

I still need to fix this. I think I had a piece of 2x4 that seemed about perfect. I didn't measure it. I need to make a "T" out of two pieces of 2x4 and just set this under the back part of the wheel.

I've been riding around with it not really braced up. The strap is doing a good job of keeping it in place.

Movement hasn't been an issue, but I do want to get the back end of the tire supported somehow.
OK, Thx for the reply.