Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got some photos of the completed car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You say your using the Unplugged Performance lowering brackets. Are those only for air ride suspension cars. I'm up here in Vancouver, BC and when I asked Tesla about the brackets they said they would not work on the car if it has the lowering brackets. I have a set of 21" vossen wheels that would look way better if the car was as low as yours. They won't even work on the brakes if the vossen wheels are on I would have to swap them for the stock wheels. Maybe I should go in and see if they have changed the policy for the lowering of the car. The height of your car and all the black makes it look pretty awesome.

Thank you.

They are not hub-centric wheels, but I had a set of custom spacers made that adapts the hub of the car to the hub of the wheels. Cost was $231. While relying just on the lugs to center the wheel is more than fine (done all the time), these spacers effectively make it hubcentric. Also pushed the wheels out 3mm. 35MM offset becomes effectively 32MM. Tires line up almost evenly with the fenders. Another minor difference, like the tire size, but something I notice as I'm also not a fan of how far Tesla sucks in the stock wheels from the fenders. Yes, loses a little in the efficiency, but with 370 miles in range, I've got more than enough range to sacrifice some efficiency to get the look I wanted. Also, the wheels are about 1 lb heavier than a stock wheel since they're the cheap wheels. But, I'm not racing the car, so not really concerned about 4 lbs added all the way around. Got the look I wanted for $1,900 instead of over $8,000 for wheels that look very similar from a Tesla retailer. After replacing so many 21" wheels previously, the cheaper wheels were appealing this time around. Although, happy to say, having had to replace one (knock on wood again). 20" versus 21" appears to have made all the difference.

Hope that helps.

Your car looks fantastic. Could you please let me know where I might find the spacers.
Thanks for your help.
lardog

You can easily remove it. There are no screws into the bumper itself, and the paint matches underneath. The only real trick is using 90 degree needle nose to loosen the 2 security screws, and then polishing up the paint after removing double-sided tape. There are several videos on youtube, such as:

Thank you for the video. When I get a free weekend again, I'll take a look at taking it off. I know when i took off the Model S & Dual Motor badges from the trunk, seemed like I could see where they were for quite some time after, no matter how hard I polished the areas. I did those within a couple of days of getting the car, so no paint fade. Wondering if the front would be more obvious? Now after 7 months? Did the Double sided tape come off easily? It took some time to get it all off from the emblems in back.

Thanks again.

You say your using the Unplugged Performance lowering brackets. Are those only for air ride suspension cars. I'm up here in Vancouver, BC and when I asked Tesla about the brackets they said they would not work on the car if it has the lowering brackets. I have a set of 21" vossen wheels that would look way better if the car was as low as yours. They won't even work on the brakes if the vossen wheels are on I would have to swap them for the stock wheels. Maybe I should go in and see if they have changed the policy for the lowering of the car. The height of your car and all the black makes it look pretty awesome.

They are only for the air suspension cars. They effectively trick the car into thinking it's sitting higher than it is and the air suspension lowers it. I had Unplugged put them on for me, but it only took them about 15-20 minutes to do it. Probably would take me longer the first time, but after doing it, probably could get the time down to 30 minutes. So if I ever have to take the car in, I'll put the original brackets back on before I do. Fortunately, these things don't need the shop too often. My last one never saw the shop in the 3 years that I had it.

Finally was able to get the car washed after 3 months!! And finally got some photos of the car complete. See similar looking cars stating that over $30,000 was spent to get this look. Many of the Tesla suppliers understand that most Tesla Model S drivers can afford the best and their prices reflect it. With just a little elbow grease and small time investment, got everything done for under $8,000. Regardless of whether I can afford it, I'm not into throwing away cash.

left-side-a-jpg.548776

left-front-a-jpg.548771

left-rear-a-jpg.548772

left-side-front-a-jpg.548773

left-side-rear-a-jpg.548774

rear-left-a-jpg.548775

Your car looks fantastic. Could you please let me know where I might find the spacers.
Thanks for your help.
lardog

I actually had them made for my prior car, so it's been a while. I will try to dig through my old e-mails to find a receipt for them. They were custom made aluminum spacers. On their website, you put in your own specs and they'll make them and ship them to you. If I remember correctly, the Tesla is a 64.1 mm HUB (centerbore). Then based on the wheels you get, let them know that figure too. Along with the bolt pattern (5 x 120) and how much spacing you want. I actually did 3mm in front and 5mm in the rear to get the rear spaced out just a little further. This on wheels with a 35MM offset. Stud size 14x1.50

I'll let you know when I find the receipt. Otherwise, can also try an internet search for "custom wheel spacers" or "custom hub centric wheel spacers" and look for one that allows you to customize your specs as noted above. Photo will show aluminum spacers with the center raised up a little bit (where it adapts the different hub size). Be sure to get the thin ones. Many online are for thick spaces at 15mm or more. Mine are very thin (3MM & 5MM), flat aluminum spacers. Only the center hub portion sticks up a little when laid flat. The space goes on the car and the wheel goes onto the spacer. The part that sticks out is what would be custom made from the 64.1MM on the inside (tesla) to whatever hub size your wheel is on the outside. They will look similar to this....but mine or even thinner than these. 303-252-4481 is the number for this one I found on an internet search (says they do custom ones?). It's not the place I got mine from though.
DSC04731.jpg

I will look to see if I can find the receipt, but it was a few years ago.

Can call these guys and see if they can make what you need. Again, a different company than I used. WheelAdapter.com

Another one to try: Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings for your car! | Motorsport Tech Cart

Last edited:
Reactions: lardog
finally found the company that did mine. Was one of the one's I posted above.

Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech

search through their site to see if you can still custom order them online. Otherwise, give them a call.

I believe the Niche wheels have a bore size of 74.1mm, but every wheel is different. So just be sure you have the exact bore size for your wheel before ordering. Best of luck.

Thank you for the video. When I get a free weekend again, I'll take a look at taking it off. I know when i took off the Model S & Dual Motor badges from the trunk, seemed like I could see where they were for quite some time after, no matter how hard I polished the areas. I did those within a couple of days of getting the car, so no paint fade. Wondering if the front would be more obvious? Now after 7 months? Did the Double sided tape come off easily? It took some time to get it all off from the emblems in back.

Thanks again.
I got the double-sided tape off by simply pushing with fingers and rolling edges into small chunks to pull off. Some people heat up with hair dryer too. Took 15 min, and then I polished with random orbital and med then light compound. Any detailer can do this in 10 min if you don’t have the polisher.

finally found the company that did mine. Was one of the one's I posted above.

Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech

search through their site to see if you can still custom order them online. Otherwise, give them a call.

I believe the Niche wheels have a bore size of 74.1mm, but every wheel is different. So just be sure you have the exact bore size for your wheel before ordering. Best of luck.

Kizamybute
Thank you very much for the lead information. I will contact them. I was going to put rear spacers on a MX.
lardog