Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally happened. Bumped rear wheel on a turn. Fixable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I thought I was a good driver, but I managed to bump my rear wheel on a turn in the fog. Not sure if this can be fixed or I need a new wheel?

Any San Diego shops that can handle this? I'm honestly kind of embarrassed driving around my car right now. I have less than 20k miles on these so any advice is appreciated.

What a terrible mistake to make. Yea, it's pretty bad...

Attachments

• wheel damage.jpg
    wheel damage.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 222
Well I thought I was a good driver, but I managed to bump my rear wheel on a turn in the fog.
Not sure if this can be fixed or I need a new wheel?

wheel-damage-jpg.488093

That’s fixable.
Absolutly, you should lift the car and check if the rim is not bent, but I don't think it is the case.

Note: since it's on the rear, you need to put the car in neutral using the towing mode to be able to spin the wheel.
But put some wheel chocks around the other wheels to avoid the car to roll.
Lift the car just enought to be able to spin the wheel to check if the wheel is not bent.​

If the wheel is not bent, you can use some alloy wheel filler, and some touch color to make it like new.
There are many Youtube videos showing how to d it. You even don't need to remove the wheel.
413Ty5xDx7L.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
Happened to me several times. I have a small grinding wheel for the drill to knock off the worst of the rash. Then I touch it up. It takes 5 minutes and unless you look close you never notice.

6EE9998D-7693-4129-B81D-EAE928C449DE.jpeg

PS can’t figure out the stray thumb nails.

Attachments

• F3B84816-1696-4EB9-B48A-4CC49603FDA9.jpeg
    F3B84816-1696-4EB9-B48A-4CC49603FDA9.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 5F4E8BC2-76E4-4C87-8D8C-225CB90D5B15.jpeg
    5F4E8BC2-76E4-4C87-8D8C-225CB90D5B15.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mrau
I am not really convinced that those Wheel Bands will be very effective.

I am considering in fact getting some Alloygator Wheel Protection

Yeah those Wheel Band things might reduce a grass stain but do nothing for what the OP did.

Those Alloygators look like serious protection. Odd they picked lime green. Not sure about the seam. I think you’d be better off without the seam cap or any glue. Might be tricky finding a shop to install. I guess you might find a shop to break the bead and then do the rest yourself taking your time.

Well I thought I was a good driver, but I managed to bump my rear wheel on a turn in the fog. Not sure if this can be fixed or I need a new wheel?

Any San Diego shops that can handle this? I'm honestly kind of embarrassed driving around my car right now. I have less than 20k miles on these so any advice is appreciated.

What a terrible mistake to make. Yea, it's pretty bad...
Ouch! And on some TS-5s. Looks repairable though.

You can get it fixed for probably about $200 or just change the wheel. You might want to look into wheel bands in the future to prevent this!

You can get them in the same color as the wheel: Wheel Bands
my friend had these they even eventually saturated to come if there wheel and whip around at his paint.

I'll call done shops today because I don't know how to match the paint and they will probably do a better job than I could do with the filler too.

my friend had these they even eventually saturated to come if there wheel and whip around at his paint.

I'll call done shops today because I don't know how to match the paint and they will probably do a better job than I could do with the filler too.
Also you can email Titan 7 and ask them for the paint code. They sent me the code for bronze since mine came with a very minor abrasion.

Also you can email Titan 7 and ask them for the paint code. They sent me the code for bronze since mine came with a very minor abrasion.
I just talked to a repair place, he said I can get the paint code if I want but it probably won't match up perfectly and recommends he just matches the paint himself to get it a little closer.

$250 for the one that requires filler and 75 for my other wheel that fell over during a tire rotation.

• Informative
Reactions: untilcomplete
Before I bought my set of Titan7 T-S5 wheels from Evasive Motorsports, I did ask them if individual wheels were available to purchase in case of bent rims or damage from potholes and they said "Yes". Just info for future reference ......

Was the wheel fixed with a mobile wheel repair company or did you take into a shop to get it fixed ?

The color match in your pic looks very good !

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner