Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally installed my home charger in the garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a Tesla recommended electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage including a Tesla HPWC.

My 200 amp panel is located on the side of the house while my detached garage is located in the rear.
The electrician ran a 6 gauge wire with 50A breaker from my panel under the house sub floor out into a trench and then into the garage. Total length with about 130 feet of wires.

The NEMA 14-50 outlet was place in the middle of the garage, the Tesla HPWC was connected with a pig tail into the outlet. It's my preference to not hard wire the HPWC but to use the pig tail into the NEMA 14-50 because I wanted the Tesla mobile charger in my car. I also didn't want to constantly plug and unplug the mobile charger and also just in case the HPWC fails, then I'll have a back up. I also got a great deal on theTesla HPWC for $250 instead of $500.

I am aware that by plugging in the Tesla HPWC into the NEMA 14-50, I will only get 37 miles per hour charging at 40A, it's still better than the mobile charger at 30 miles. I was considering purchasing another mobile charger at $300 but I was able to get a great deal on the HPWC instead so this works out.

Everything installed plus the Tesla HPWC was $1,950.00

I had over 6 different quotes within 3 weeks and this was the most fair priced along with experience.

Attachments

• BB852DCA-B831-4DD2-8C13-8DBAAE9FA16E.jpeg
    BB852DCA-B831-4DD2-8C13-8DBAAE9FA16E.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 130