Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally some movement happening on our SF bay area project in May

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
We just received an email from our electrician, who will be doing our outdoor main panel upgrade before our solar/PW install, that after contacting our city on Thursday they gave him the go ahead to do that work. Our permit had already been approved. He works alone and will be removing our old panel, adding the new higher bus rated panel along with new breakers, and then after inspection will have the stucco guy come to finish sealing up. Not sure whether they will permit our solar/PW install yet—distancing? all outdoor work—but at this point I’m happy that we’ll then be ready for Tesla to come out to do the rest asap.

Feel free to update any progress on your project in the Bay area to this thread. I know for those of us anxiously waiting any news moving this forward with our cities is good news.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
We just received an email from our electrician, who will be doing our outdoor main panel upgrade before our solar/PW install, that after contacting our city on Thursday they gave him the go ahead to do that work. Our permit had already been approved. He works alone and will be removing our old panel, adding the new higher bus rated panel along with new breakers, and then after inspection will have the stucco guy come to finish sealing up. Not sure whether they will permit our solar/PW install yet—distancing? all outdoor work—but at this point I’m happy that we’ll then be ready for Tesla to come out to do the rest asap.

Feel free to update any progress on your project in the Bay area to this thread. I know for those of us anxiously waiting any news moving this forward with our cities is good news.
Is the PG&E line to the meter large enough to match the upgraded box and breaker?

We currently have 200A service but when the city was reviewing our permit and checked against equipment the developer put in (our label had fallen off during the 10+ years we lived there so Tesla had no way of knowing from our photos what was installed), they determined it didn’t have a large enough bus bar rating for the solar addition and something about it having center feed and changing that to end feed. We are still getting 200A service.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj
The issue is that instead of there being main breaker current available, there is main breaker + solar + PW. Especially on a center fed panel, this could overload the bus bars. On end fed panels, they put generation at the opposite end to reduce bus bar loading along any sub section

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
We have our SolarGlass Roof + 2 PWs installed here in Pleasanton (Alameda County). All we need now is City inspection and PG&E Permission To Operate (PTO). The city was shutdown on doing inspections, but now looks like they can restart any day. Here is what is says on the website:

**Updated 05.01.2020**
Due to the Alameda County Health Department revised Shelter in Place Orders effective Monday, May 4, 2020, all City of Pleasanton offices remain closed through May. The revised Order does allow for all construction work to continue. We will be conducting building inspections as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience during this time.

I plan on calling my Tesla project coordinator and have them arrange inspection ASAP.

Previously the city was doing video inspections, one person on-site holding a phone, inspector on other side asking questions. Not sure if they are still doing this, but that is how they meet the social distancing requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMAlset
Feel free to update any progress on your project in the Bay area to this thread.
I ordered two V2 Powerwalls last October to replace my single V1 Powerwall (I have 9.8kW of panels on my roof, not installed by Tesla). This week a Tesla Energy crew of three is working to install my new Powerwalls. It’s a bigger project than I imagined. They are basically taking away everything except my inverter, installing a new 200A sub-panel so that all my house circuits can be run off the new Powerwalls (before I had a sub-panel with a very limited number of circuits that would operate in case of grid failure) and adding some new hardware as well as the Tesla Gateway. Scheduled to complete my installation this Thursday. Will post photos when done.

By the way, the Tesla crew is great! They worked really hard for 12 hours yesterday. I was impressed.

• Love
Reactions: SMAlset and jboy210