Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 1/4 mile time slip for P3D? 1.84 60 foot times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m heading to my local race track for my first time ever tomorrow night in any car, let alone a P3D, and I’m super excited. From reading the thread, it doesn’t appear enabling slip start or track mode will do much for 1/4 miles runs? Is that the general consensus? I also plan to SC but wondering if I should go all the way to 100% or not. The track is about 9 miles from the SC. Any other tips or suggestions for a first timer?

I’m heading to my local race track for my first time ever tomorrow night in any car, let alone a P3D, and I’m super excited. From reading the thread, it doesn’t appear enabling slip start or track mode will do much for 1/4 miles runs? Is that the general consensus? I also plan to SC but wondering if I should go all the way to 100% or not. The track is about 9 miles from the SC. Any other tips or suggestions for a first timer?
I'd say 100% then safely drive with a lead foot if possible to get the battery warmed up. That's what I read recently. Not sure about slip start. I'd try both modes.

I just looked it up and the nearest drag strip to me is 78 miles away and there is no supercharger along the route. There is a CHAdeMO level 3 charger about 17 miles from the strip, which would work to ensure I could get back home after racing, but the adapter is $450. That seems excessive.

So, just got home from my first time ever racing. Great night but bitter ending.

Race 1: 11.73
Race 2: 11.98 (With cargo - Passenger)
Race 3: 12.73 (With cargo - Passenger)

The last one left a bitter taste in my mouth because on launch the car was incredibly sluggish. 60’ was a miserable 2.50! I’m not sure what caused it.

Here’s what led up to that final race. The car was sitting for a good hour with front windows all the way down while the bracket racers were doing their thing. I doubt the car sitting with two front windows down had an impact. I was carrying a passenger on the final run. I noticed after the race dude didn’t have his seatbelt on. Could this have impacted the way the car ran?!?! Again, I don’t think so. Bad luck and timing? Maybe?!?! Something serious went wrong? Maybe?!?! I really don’t know the answer. It was still tons of fun and I plan on going back next weekend to try again..

So, just got home from my first time ever racing. Great night but bitter ending.

Race 1: 11.73
Race 2: 11.98 (With cargo - Passenger)
Race 3: 12.73 (With cargo - Passenger)

The last one left a bitter taste in my mouth because on launch the car was incredibly sluggish. 60’ was a miserable 2.50! I’m not sure what caused it.

Here’s what led up to that final race. The car was sitting for a good hour with front windows all the way down while the bracket racers were doing their thing. I doubt the car sitting with two front windows down had an impact. I was carrying a passenger on the final run. I noticed after the race dude didn’t have his seatbelt on. Could this have impacted the way the car ran?!?! Again, I don’t think so. Bad luck and timing? Maybe?!?! Something serious went wrong? Maybe?!?! I really don’t know the answer. It was still tons of fun and I plan on going back next weekend to try again..

Forgot to add that I charged to 99% and first run was at 95%. Track mode didn’t seem to make any difference as others have stated here.

There are videos showing that autopilot will disengage and slow down if the driver removes their seatbelt. It's possible that launching is limited if it detects an unbelted passenger. Only way to know for sure would be to try it again.

I’m certainly hoping that was it. That would be a relief. I’m hoping Tesla would know. I have an appointment with them in a week but not before I hit that track again. And for some reason dashcam didn’t record that video of my last run.

Last edited:
One front passenger. No one in the rear. They wanted to feel the launch so I accommodated. What do you think about my pathetic 12.7 run?
They didn’t allow any passengers where I went in NJ. Also depending on the passenger’s weight, it could mean a lot. My buddy’s AWD Model 3 did 12.41. So definitely something weird with that 1 run. My best was 11.63. So your 11.73 is very close. I removed everything I could except the mats.

They didn’t allow any passengers where I went in NJ. Also depending on the passenger’s weight, it could mean a lot. My buddy’s AWD Model 3 did 12.41. So definitely something weird with that 1 run. My best was 11.63. So your 11.73 is very close. I removed everything I could except the mats.

11.63 is awesome. I need to really improve my reaction time and I think that’s going to take quite a bit of practice.